2 Q's

DJM

Here are two unrelated questions, the answers to which are probably painfully obvious to non-newsters:

1. On my etrec vista, when displaying heading and bearing, the read-out is in letters--"W", "SE" and so on. Is it possible to somehow set it to display numeric degree read-outs for more accuracy?

2. I've read posts where the discussion includes specific caches. The author is somehow able to make the name of the cache a link that takes you right to the cache in question. How the heck do you do that?

Thanks for your patience with neophites.

DJM

1) I own a Vista so I should be able to answer your first question. I am ashamed to admit that I cannot however. I will leave this one to a Vista guru.

2) To add a link simply click on the URL button underneath Instant UBBCode. Then cut and paste the link you desire into the window that appears. Your link will appear where your cursor currently is in your message.

Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore

It only appears on US maps. It is anything north of the top of the map and is generally just coloured white.

For those that listen to Pat Buchanan's rhetoric...

[CLick Here]

...Canada is a "whining" country that has been "freeloading" off the U.S. defence budget for decades, outspoken American talk-show host Pat Buchanan said Friday. The latest attack to come from the failed Republican presidential candidate followed his televised comment that Canada is a "Soviet Canuckistan" - a term frequently used by an American Holocaust-denier.

Buchanan was responding to the objections Canadian officials made to a U.S. law demanding photos and fingerprints from some Arab-Canadian visitors to the country...

quote:

Ummm. MrG, was that for a different thread or did you just decide to go WAY off topic?

No, the previous poster (DJM) specifically asked where it was geographically. I just explained where it is.

quote:

...and you mispelled 'colored'.

Again, no I did not. In real English, that is how it is spelled. That is also how it is spelled in Canuckistan. It is only the US version of the English language that there is no "u".

Can you spell colour?

How could I have forseen that my two innocent questions would spark an international debate on spelling, usage and grammer?

To take things further off topic, here, from a lawyers perspective, is the correct usage of the word "color," however spelled:

"An apparent right; as where the defendant in trespass gave to the plaintiff an appearance of title, by stating his title specially, thus removing the cause from the jury to the court. --Note: Color is express when it is averred in the pleading, and implied when it is implied in the pleading." Blackstone Legal Dictionary.

You can ponder the meaning of this the next time you're out for a long walk looking for a cache.

DJM

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

Coloured is correct.

It appears that you've centred on an unfavourable method of spelling. If you are looking for an arguement about this, I suggest that you catalogue your favourite differences. Don't worry though, your honour is still intact.

Get with the programme. icon_biggrin.gif

How can we give any credence to people who call napkins "serviettes," quilts "duvets," and other frog-ified misspeech?

I don't usually jump into a new pool slingin' mud, but as an American married to a Brit, it's a battle I enjoy and engage in frequently. I'll give it some more time before I slam our Little Brothers To The North again. icon_smile.gif

oy.

this, i don't need. WHAT, in the name of Everything Kind And Decent, makes you jump all over each other? did somebody post coordinates one one of your backs? do i need to separate you? i SWEAR, if i have to come back there...

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

quote:
Originally posted by flask:

oy.

this, i don't need. WHAT, in the name of Everything Kind And Decent, makes you jump all over each other? did somebody post coordinates one one of your backs? do i need to separate you? i SWEAR, if i have to come back there...

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

I assume you were kidding, because we were.

It is a little embarrassing that I left a typo in my tongue-in-cheek comment. I sometimes enter before I proof.

[This message was edited by sbell111 on January 27, 2003 at 02:24 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by MrGigabyte:

It only appears on US maps. It is anything north of the top of the map and is generally just coloured white.

For those that listen to Pat Buchanan's rhetoric...

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/021101/6/pzix.html

...Canada is a "whining" country that has been "freeloading" off the U.S. defence budget for decades, outspoken American talk-show host Pat Buchanan said Friday. The latest attack to come from the failed Republican presidential candidate followed his televised comment that Canada is a "Soviet Canuckistan" - a term frequently used by an American Holocaust-denier.

Buchanan was responding to the objections Canadian officials made to a U.S. law demanding photos and fingerprints from some Arab-Canadian visitors to the country...

That Buchannan guy, what a laugh-riot. He gets me everytime. Isn't he the same one that wanted to razor wire the Southern border? Man, he can't get along with anybody.

Please, I'm a recovering English major -- don't jump me for spelling or grammar mistakes. It freaks me out.

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer