Are Altoids Tins Waterproof?

ghostwriter13

There is no such thing as a watertight container with a snap on lid, period.

To get waterproofness the container must have a seal of some sort as well as a locking mechanism that ensures the lid is always pressed tightly to the seal.

Ammo cans have a lid with a rubber gasket. The rubber presses against metal to form a seal. Ammo cans also have a locking mechanism which ensures the seal and metal are pressed firmly together. For this reason ammo cans are the cache container of preference.

Without the seal and locking mechanism, it isn't waterproof.

Containers with screw on (as opposed to snap on) lids are superior because the threads for the lid provide multiple 'layers'. To be waterproof though they still need a seal/gasket of some sort.

There is no such thing as a watertight container with a snap on lid, period.

To get waterproofness the container must have a seal of some sort as well as a locking mechanism that ensures the lid is always pressed tightly to the seal.

Ammo cans have a lid with a rubber gasket. The rubber presses against metal to form a seal. Ammo cans also have a locking mechanism which ensures the seal and metal are pressed firmly together. For this reason ammo cans are the cache container of preference.

Without the seal and locking mechanism, it isn't waterproof.

Containers with screw on (as opposed to snap on) lids are superior because the threads for the lid provide multiple 'layers'. To be waterproof though they still need a seal/gasket of some sort.

Like I said, I wasn't sure. Thanks for the explaination/clarification.

In my experience, the standard Altoids tins with the hinged tops are not waterproof, but with a good coat of primer and then spray paint, the seal is tighter because of the extra thickness. That seems to help.

More watertight are the round Altoids tins, for the little candies, not the mints. I have one cache along a riverfront path that is prone to flooding. It has survived two complete immersions in the waters of the Allegheny River without getting more than a few droplets of water inside. The log sheet stayed completely dry in a small baggie! After that field test I will be using the round tins a lot more.... no more film canisters!

Altoids tins have visible, wide holes at the hinge. I wouldn't even rate them as rainproof. Besides, they can rust, too, and that is not a pretty sight. For attachment to the back of a sign, underside of a railguard, etc., a magnetic keyholder is a better choice: usually almost waterproof (but certainly rainproof) and doesn't rust.

I had an altoid tin cache magnetized to the back of a guardrail. It stayed leak-free as far as I know.

I sanded the outside and inside of the tin, then sprayed outside and inside with rust-proof primer (not too much on the hinges), then sponge-painted with acrylics for camo, and finally sprayed a clear sealer on it.

Inside the tin, the logbook was in a tiny ziploc and it never got damp.

The small pipe tobbacco tins work. I have some left from when I smoked, I've used them for years to keep things dry.

tins, tobacco...cookie, whatever, are not so good at withstanding repeated openin and closing. After awhile of prying the lid off and putting it back on, the tin begins to bend a little, and therefore lose much of the water retardant ability that it had.

As the others have stated...for most applications an Altoid tin will leak. As a side note...unless these are all urban micros...using old candy,food,tobacco containers will attract bears which will make your cache have a really bad day.

At least where I live (N WI USA) Good Luck.

I think the best candy container for a cache would be the mini M&M's container.  They are about 4 inches or so long and about an inch in diameter with an attached flip top lid that snaps down pretty tight.  I'm not sure, however, if it is watertight.

SCB113.gif

I submerged one of these overnight with about an inch of water above the container. It did not leak.

Edited by Thot
The small pipe tobbacco tins work.  I have some left from when I smoked, I've used them for years to keep things dry.

tins, tobacco...cookie, whatever, are not so good at withstanding repeated openin and closing. After awhile of prying the lid off and putting it back on, the tin begins to bend a little, and therefore lose much of the water retardant ability that it had.

Tobbaco tins are different. I have one I've used for years as a ultra light tackle box. They have a dense foam gasket that compresses, at least the Erinmore flake tins do any way.

How about pill bottles?

depends,

the types with the "child safe" lids, which surprisingly are not, all that safe will let in allot of moisture in the elements. If your local drug store has them, get the kind with a "snap on" lid that creates a good seal around the container.

We use the bottles to pre mix the supplements for the horses and they really do keep them dry. The other lids allowed allot of moisture in and the powders would be soggy.

On my latest cache I took a pill bottle and created a silicone gasket on the inside with RTV silicone, watered down and placed in the lip of the lid with a syringe and large gauge needle. It is just added insurance but I'm not sure I would do it again

Joe Smith