Why Is Off Topic Hidden?

Taxman003

For the longest time, I always thought that when a topic was moved it was actually just locked or deleted.....now I see there are forums here that non-members (like myself) cannot see.

Why this is, I cannot say? I would think that since the topic has little to do with Geocaching, everyone should be able to see it?

Or do you members just go there and flame us non-members? :D

Anyways, I'm not a heavy duty cacher (haven't been out since the summer) and although I don't believe a membership would benefit me that greatly, I'm glad to see that many of you reap those benefits.

Mike

It was decided by the owners of this website that all users would have access to the things necessary for basic geocaching functionality. Anything above and beyond that would require payment.

Not discussing geocaching is not necessary for basic geocaching functionality. Therefore it requires payment.

For the longest time, I always thought that when a topic was moved it was actually just locked or deleted.....now I see there are forums here that non-members (like myself) cannot see.

Why this is, I cannot say?

In order to induce members to pay money to upgrade their membership some benefits have to be offered.

At present pocket queries are a strong attraction for those with PDAs, for those without PDAs there isn't much benefit to being a member. So, having a forum or 10 for paying members is the inducement.

At present pocket queries are a strong attraction for those with PDAs, for those without PDAs there isn't much benefit to being a member. So, having a forum or 10 for paying members is the inducement.

I used pocket queries long before I had a PDA. There are a number of uses for them and only one reqires a PDA. For me it was the ability to dowload the nearest 500 caches to my house to my GPS, after filtering out the kinds of caches I don't want to bother with. I also like plotting the caches on National Geographic Topo and PQs allow me to do this. Other people import their PQs into GSAK and slice and dice the data in numerous ways, including finding caches along a route. Having the ability to dowload pages to a PDA is just one of many benefits of PQs.

As far as the OP, I guess the off topic forums is just a extra bone for subscribers.

Edited by briansnat

No, we don't sit in the OT forum and laugh at/flame the regular members. As a moderator in the off-topic forum, I feel like I barely earn my pay. Very, very little moderating has been needed. People go there generally to have fun and talk to other people who share a common interest in geocaching, but NOT to talk about geocaching. It is for the most part a very happy place and I am pleasantly surprised at what a success it's been.

OT reply to DaveA: you don't need a PDA to benefit from pocket queries! GSAK and Watcher work on the desktop to sort and filter your available caches, and you can use the query data in your favorite mapping software, too.

Or do you members just go there and flame us non-members? :D

Yes. It is a hotbed of intrigue. Mysteries and fantasy awaits you.

Pocket Queries are both a floor cleaner and a dessert topping.

Yes. We doubled memberships with the new Off Topic forum.

(none of the above are true)

What is the Off Topic forum?

Rule #1: There is no Off Topic forum

:D

I'm getting so darn confused tonight.

Why Is Off Topic Hidden?

You got me.

I guess that's just they way it is.

As some may tell you (not me) if you don't like it go start your own forums. :D

Edited by Milbank
Pocket queries rock! Don't know that they can be fried and eaten though.....

Ive seen that line used before?? Hmm......... did I start something?????????

I gotta go copyright that now.... I'm gonna be rich, rich I tell ya..... <_<:blink::blink:

ah heckles never mind, I just did a search and Leprecaun gets the win on this as of May 03 he was the first to use it!!!

Dang it always a day late to get rich.........Though I wonder if he's copyrighted it yet?

Would be a great t-shirt to I think..........(by the way I'm charging 10% for the idea if I see these at the next cache event!!!!)

Edited by top pin

Why this is, I cannot say? I would think that since the topic has little to do with Geocaching, everyone should be able to see it?

Or do you members just go there and flame us non-members? :blink:

Anyways, I'm not a heavy duty cacher (haven't been out since the summer) and although I don't believe a membership would benefit me that greatly, I'm glad to see that many of you reap those benefits.

Mike

This should really be moved to off topic as it has nothing to do with geocaching. <_<

Or do you members just go there and flame us non-members?  :blink:

Mike

This should really be moved to off topic as it has nothing to do with geocaching. :blink:

I eat trans fats while geocaching! <_<

a12549cf-95b2-4e93-a796-cbe357b23f22.jpg

Wow!

Can't say I expected this kind of reaction. Pocket queries are probably the primary benefit to membership and again, since I have no PDA, no real reason to upgrade.

Thanks for the free service that is provided, but as to the Off Topic being hidden, I would think a Member's only section is appropriate but that there should be some kind of off topic for us lesser beings as well.

Mike