New To Geocache.....what Equipment

cad-guy

I am totally new to geocaching. I have begun looking for close caches that don't require a gps. My wife has given me the ok to get a gps (yes..thats right guys! get the laughing over with!!) I have about $160 to get a starter unit. Can anyone give me any recommendations on what I might need, or what might be a good value for this price. Thanks for any info you can give me.

I agree with avroair, the Garmin eTrex Legend is probably the best value. It will give you great accuracy, mapping capability, more than enough memory (I still don't know why someone would have 500 waypoints on their gps in the first place, plus 8mb is enough capacity to hold maps of almost any single state, and then some (at least with the MapSource software)).

I just started geocaching, and i bought a magellan explorist 200 at costco for $130. I think this is a great gps, but I dont have any thing to compare it to. It puts me right on top of the geocaches. The only thing some people dont like about it is that it doesnt hook up to a computer. I dont mind this though, because i like to read over the info about it so i know what i am looking for any way.

Andrew546

I use the Garmin eTrex Legend too. I like that it's the lowest model with the 5 position joystick which I had to depend upon before I solved my Serial to USB difficulties on the Mac. I had to enter the first 30 or 40 Geocaches by hand over my first month or so, and the stick made it bearable.

Now I have solved the Mac connection problems, so downloading from this site and uploading to the GPS is automated, but I still have to use the stick to enter the Waypoints that I might need on a hunt to find my way back to the trailhead or car, etc.

Also, I never did buy or upload the maps which cost extra. It seems to me that I'm able to use the Legend, even for urban geocaching, without the need for extra maps.

And I like that it's blue. Really.

--Marc

February 1, 2005 @ 11:14 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

I just started geocaching, and i bought a magellan explorist 200 at costco for $130. I think this is a great gps, but I dont have any thing to compare it to. It puts me right on top of the geocaches. The only thing some people dont like about it is that it doesnt hook up to a computer. I dont mind this though, because i like to read over the info about it so i know what i am looking for any way.

Andrew546

Glad you're enjoying your Explorist! Really doesn't matter what everyone else thinks as long as you're getting the use you expect out of yours. :P I know several people who enter caches by hand anyway, even with the cable. They will pick 10 or so caches, print them out (they're not paperless yet :P :P but workin on it) and one will punch in coords while the other drives.

The way I cache, a cable is a must, however, so I'd have to suggest the Legend. Saves time, and on more than one occassion the cachers I mentioned above have searched the wrong spot because of a "typo" when punching in the coords. :P

ok since I put this on the wrong list to being with. I got a garmin legend at www.gpsexplorer.com for $164.95. There is a $55.00 rebate from Garmin through Feb 28th. There is no sales tax and if you can wait for UPS ground to ship it then shipping is free. Total price was $109.(something). Thanks for your help all.

Edited by idgem
I just started geocaching, and i bought a magellan explorist 200 at costco for $130

I'm sure the eXplorist works well for finding caches. All GPS units will do the job. But the fact that there is no data port makes the eXplorist line unsuitable for all but the most casual geocacher. If someone gets even semi-into the sport they will find theirselves wanting to upgrade to a unit that is can be used with their PC.

Edited by briansnat