Desert Maps

mhfares

I use a simple yellow eTrex for my outdoor activity and so make no use of mapping. However, I thought you might want to know that there exist some fairly elaborate digital maps showing many detailed attributes of the terrains like contours for elevations, names of valleys, wells, gas stations, roads, tracks ..etc. They are made by Saudi desert fans (probably by scanning images and a lot of data gathering) .. They are updated frequently and are available on memory cards for GPS receivers with mapping capability.

I think they are also in English and so it might be useful for some of those who read this post.

The link below shows comparison between them and those of the Garmin local agent:

http://www.mekshat.com/vb/showthread.php?t...%DE%C7%D1%E4%C9

Those are pretty awesome maps, just wish I coulr read arabic so I could understand the forum. I wonder if they're any maps around like that for Iraq, would make my stay here more fun if I could download local sites. I now have the Ziggurat permanently loaded in my Legend and I'm hoping to see some other ancient sites.

Would anyone happen to have any detailed street or topo maps of Saudi for a Magellan unit?

The Magellan Mapsend World BaseMap is very vague and almost useless.

I've just recently arrived in Saudi and will be here for the next year or so and would really appreciate any help I could get with a digital map for my GPS.

Thanks!

Would anyone happen to have any detailed street or topo maps of Saudi for a Magellan unit?

The Magellan Mapsend World BaseMap is very vague and almost useless. 

I've just recently arrived in Saudi and will be here for the next year or so and would really appreciate any help I could get with a digital map for my GPS.

Thanks!

Eltee1...Two sets of maps available. Garmin Dealer in Riyadh had a bitmap "background" map of Riyadh, Dammam, and Mekkah, which acted as a wallpaper and therefore you could off road navigate with it. The other map is Garmin City Navigator Middle East Version 2 which you can get through Garmin or at the local Riyadh dealership. Hope this helps. Saber6