2005 Washington State Geocoins

Moun10Bike

How about featuring the Mighty Columbia River?

colrvrgorge.gif

It travels through the entire state, from the northeast to the southwest.  There are many caches along its shores.  The Columbia River is important for the state in that it provides recreation, hydroelectric power, home for many species of fish and fowl, irrigation, etc.

I had this same idea a bit earlier, with an image like the one posted the mighty Columbia could be an excellent coin and in many ways symbolic of the whole state. I think the Columbia itself would be a lot better that the Grand Coulee in any year.

A Native American image is a must in the near future but the 25th anniversary of Mt. St. Helens eruption does give it a hefty shove to (near) the top of the list.

I vote for St Helens only due to the anniversary. Love the Columbia pic. It would make an awesome coin, but perhaps for next year? (hoping Oregon doesn't use it first) The Space Needle, Grand Coulee, and an apple blossom are musts for the future.

I like that image of the mountain showing a recent steam burst, but for a 25th anniversary image I'd prefer to show the mountain as it was during the 1980 eruption:

back to being serious... I would agree that if St. Helens is pictured it should be a before or during the 1980 eruption image. I'm not from Washington but you all know that I'm a collector with a lot of interest in this new coin being just as nice as the first. With that being said I think that St. Helens is a very logical choice but I'm not sure how well it will transfer to a coin... something like this

098cbf95-a7cb-4905-b0a7-e75d478d70bf.jpg

would transfer very well I think. Might at least keep it in mind for 2006 or 2007.

Hey, if you go with the Mt St Helens version you could put some ash into the outside ring to give it some color and then expoxy over it - very collectible.

Ok, not feasible I know but given no expense it would be cool nonetheless.

Back to others with something productive to say....

Hey, if you go with the Mt St Helens version you could put some ash into the outside ring to give it some color and then expoxy over it - very collectible.

Ok, not feasible I know but given no expense it would be cool nonetheless.

Back to others with something productive to say....

What do you mean not feasible? A still have a bottle of ash from the original eruption.

I like that image of the mountain showing a recent steam burst, but for a 25th anniversary image I'd prefer to show the mountain as it was during the 1980 eruption:

I agree- altho that picture is not as pretty, but it seems more appropriate. The next could say something like : 25th Anniversary of the Mt. St. Helens Eruption

As I read through this thread and saw that the trend was toward having Mt St Helens on the coin, the thought that occured to me was that by the time the image was made small enough to fit on a coin, from the 2004 to the 2005 coin it would probably look like before and after pictures. On something as small as a coin, a mountain is a mountain and they would look very similar. The mockup posted of the erupted Mt St Helens looks pretty much like the 2004 coin with the top of mountain missing.

I think that having something much different on the 2005 coin is preferable. I like the mockup of the Columbia River a lot better just because it is completely different from 2004. We already had one with a mountain. Lets have something else this year. A river is common to both east and west and would appeal equally to both sides.

Here is a Seattle idea.

ws2005-2.jpg

I think that having something much different on the 2005 coin is preferable. I like the mockup of the Columbia River a lot better just because it is completely different from 2004. We already had one with a mountain. Lets have something else this year. A river is common to both east and west and would appeal equally to both sides.

I would tend to agree. I'm not really sure what Mt. St. Helens anniversary has to do with geocaching. Heck, can you even place a cache inside the monument? Don't mind me though. I just like to play with photoshop. :unsure:

I've left the hiker in there because he/she tends to give the design a little more purpose, adds depth to the image, and helps balance the design.

Here is a Seattle idea.

ws2005-2.jpg

I would tend to agree. I'm not really sure what Mt. St. Helens anniversary has to do with geocaching. Heck, can you even place a cache inside the monument? Don't mind me though. I just like to play with photoshop. :unsure:

I've left the hiker in there because he/she tends to give the design a little more purpose, adds depth to the image, and helps balance the design.

Gotta jump in here, I do like NavDog's latest design. Looks good and it is totally different than 2004.

Pepper

I like the hiker looking across the river from Oregon into Washington.

I was wondering when that debate would start. Don't you mean the hiker is standing on the Washington side, looking out across the river, dreaming of all the great caches in Oregon. :rolleyes:

I like the hiker looking across the river from Oregon into Washington.

I was wondering when that debate would start. Don't you mean the hiker is standing on the Washington side, looking out across the river, dreaming of all the great caches in Oregon. :rolleyes:

no no no... that a cacher standing on top of the Hill at Wild Stallions Ride Again, looking accross towards Vantage! [:ph34r:]

I'm not really sure what Mt. St. Helens anniversary has to do with geocaching. Heck, can you even place a cache inside the monument?

Just a little history for those who don't know it..... Mt St Helens has a lot to do with the birth of Geocaching.

The 2nd and 3th caches were placed near Mt St Helens by Mike Teague.

Subject: GPS Stash #2 and #3

Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav

Date: 2000/05/07

Ok, here ya go... I went and placed 2 stashes today..

First one: #2

N 46*08.495

W 122*19.818

Second one: #3

N 46*06.815

W 122*19.720

both WGS84

There's a GPS in one of em, also some CD's, beer, some food, other various

items... Make sure to write of your visit in the logbook.

Caution: #3 is in some semi-rough terrain, involves a little climbing over

some rocks and dead trees... Wear some sturdy shoes and watch your step!

Plus Dave Ulmer demolished has brand new snowmobile in April 2000 following a preprogram route up Mt St Helens with his GPSr. That is right before Selective Availability was turned off in May. This wreck help inspire Geocaching.

Just sharing some history....

:rolleyes:

Here is a Seattle idea.

ws2005-2.jpg

I would tend to agree. I'm not really sure what Mt. St. Helens anniversary has to do with geocaching. Heck, can you even place a cache inside the monument? Don't mind me though. I just like to play with photoshop. :ph34r:

I'm voting for this one.

It has great balance, and almost all the most common elemets of caching here in Washington.

All that's missing is a tree stump. :rolleyes:

Here's a variation on design #1. Added a mountain, could be St. Helens. There could also be an extra line or two of text to balance the lower left side. Just an idea of something to plug in there that's geocaching related.

The colors from green to brown on the hills was meant to represent the reach of the river from the Gorge up into the drier area of Eastern Washington.

ws2005-1-a.jpg

The hiker dude is standing at Zenith View on Hwy 30 and looking at Mt. Hood. :rolleyes:

If we are going to do something like that the geocacher should probably be standing on the Washington side of the river. Or is this supposed to be an Oregonian looking forlornly at all the great caches in Washington?

Wondering, is the 600 caches on the banks Washington only or do they include the Oregon caches too?

Edited by Stump
Here's a variation on design #1. Added a mountain, could be St. Helens. There could also be an extra line or two of text to balance the lower left side. Just an idea of something to plug in there that's geocaching related.

You could balance the image by putting a stump on the far side of the river. Isn't that how is always works out anyway.... or is that just me :rolleyes:

Thought I'd throw out a coastal image. A representation of North Head Lighthouse. And it's one of my favorite camping spots.

ws2005-4.jpg

You sure that's not Oregon??? :rolleyes:

Well if the Washington people don't want it for a coin, I'll bet there are some Oregon folks who might snatch it up. I heard some rumbling down there about a new coin.

I can go with either of Navdog's first two suggestions. I like the person with the GPSr. Leave him/her in.

I'm not too sure about the Columbia River with the mountain in the background. I can go either way on that one.

How do the dry siders feel about these suggestions?

Wow, I want you to make more than one type of coin! 

My only comment is the little man holding a GPS feels a little old.  Any reason there actually needs to be a person on the coin?

You do see it on many coins these days, but it is somewhat synonymous to what geocaching is and a good way to portray it on a coin. For this application it's a necessary element to create the depth of field you see on the 2004 coin, it gives the image some purpose other than just a pretty picture, and follows the theme from last year.

Here is a Seattle idea.

ws2005-2.jpg

I would tend to agree. I'm not really sure what Mt. St. Helens anniversary has to do with geocaching. Heck, can you even place a cache inside the monument? Don't mind me though. I just like to play with photoshop. :o

I'm voting for this one.

It has great balance, and almost all the most common elemets of caching here in Washington.

All that's missing is a tree stump. <_<

I like this one a lot, it has a really cool design.

Although I would rather see a coin with Mt. St. Helens on it because it is the 25th anniversary.

Edited by Anonymous'