2005 Washington State Geocoins

Moun10Bike

Even though it is similar to 2004, I can't believe anyone could consider passing up a 25th anniversary of Mt. St. Helens. I'd really like to see Moun10bike's 1980 eruption on a coin. You'd only need two colors: black and gray! <_<

I agree! The 25th anniversary of the eruption can't be revisited later on a coin. The recent volcanic activity also makes this choice a timely one. For good or bad, Mt. St. Helens means Washington for the rest of the world now.

Here's something...I'm not a designer, but it's something to start with...

burp.jpg

Does it HAVE to have color?

I know it's rough, but I really like the idea of a deep releif it would be a beautiful coin. Maybe just a color ring or not. Actually I don't think there's anyway in color you could get the real jest of the mountain.

Pepper

Edited by Pepper
ws2005-2.jpg

Is that brown stuff supposed to be smog between the city and the mountain?

My sentiments exactly. I don't like the brown band. Mt Saint Helens, the Columbia River, or the Coast - like all 3 of those! Can't go wrong with any of them, altho i admit the coast one does make me think of Oregon.

Here is a rough image idea from one of the St Helen's pic posted before. This would work best if pressed or cut from just the coin material with no color. Yes, I put the hiker in there, as it was meant to depict the mountain today, and having just the mountain would make it rather plain. IMHO. But, I am just your faithful servant. :D

ws2005-6.jpg

Here is a rough image idea from one of the St Helen's pic posted before. This would work best if pressed or cut from just the coin material with no color. Yes, I put the hiker in there, as it was meant to depict the mountain today, and having just the mountain would make it rather plain. IMHO. But, I am just your faithful servant. :D

ws2005-6.jpg

Oh my gosh!!!! I vote for that coin.

NavDog you ROCK as usual!

Dang you got some talent young man.

Pepper

Edited by Pepper

The dialog that I received from Bryan Roth of Groundspeak stated it was a new(?) program where organizations could purchase geocoin tracking codes with some reasonable requests linked to copyright and customer service issues.

I don't have access to the email as I am away from my home computer for the weekend but you can contact Groundspeak and they'll give you the specifics.

..hiker graphic...

Just on a rough draft if it's a problem I'll remove the graphics.

...something going on, can of worms...

This could have a lot to do with timing what with the design of the Jeep TB's and the upcoming redesign of the Groundspeak TB's as well.

No, its the great GeoCoin conspiracy of 2005. :D

Edited by MRCOGEO

I'm laughing at the thought of the hiker looking at his GPSr checking to make sure he's far enough away from the volcano. :D

Excellent job, Navdog.

Wondering if we should change "The Evergreen State" wording. Maybe put the 25 years later or Mt. St. Helens down there. Evergreen and tons of ash don't really fit.

I'm laughing at the thought of the hiker looking at his GPSr checking to make sure he's far enough away from the volcano.  :D

That coin image was reminding me of myself as I was making it. We were up at Johnston Ridge Oct 2nd when they closed the area off. We were planning on hiking the Boundary Trail out to Harry's Ridge, bur some rangers came up to us just as we got to the trailhead and said they were closing the trail for the day because of the winds blowing the small ash plumes toward the area. We decided to go down the road a bit and hike up the ridge above Coldwater Lake, just to the north. Shortly after we left they had the harmonic tremors and evacuated the Visitors Center. Halfway up the ridge we were wondering why all the cars were leaving down at the center. When we saw the media trucks leaving, we knew something was up. Plus that and the half dozen helicopters and FS plane constantly flying around. I was hoping to see something happen, my friend was worried about what was up. We turned around at the four mile mark and were the last ones in the area all afternoon. Made it out just as the sun was setting and the Sheriffs Dept. was waiting at the gate for us.

Here is a rough image idea from one of the St Helen's pic posted before. This would work best if pressed or cut from just the coin material with no color. Yes, I put the hiker in there, as it was meant to depict the mountain today, and having just the mountain would make it rather plain. IMHO. But, I am just your faithful servant. :)

ws2005-6.jpg

That's pretty sweet!

Any way you can do a half/half of a before/after? Sorta like 1980 on one half and on the other half 2005? I'm just curious, but anything with Mt. St. Helens in it gets my vote.

Here is a rough image idea from one of the St Helen's pic posted before. This would work best if pressed or cut from just the coin material with no color. Yes, I put the hiker in there, as it was meant to depict the mountain today, and having just the mountain would make it rather plain. IMHO. But, I am just your faithful servant. :)

ws2005-6.jpg

Fantastic! Love it!!! :)

ws2005-6.jpg

This one!! This one!! This one!!

MarcusArelius,

Perhaps you can help here. I liked the suggestion from Phil and Cathy:

Great and they will blame me for trying to fly a kite while I was up there again.  Peace, Nolenator

nolenatorflyingkite7ro.jpg

It's all his fault! :blink:

But, well, a stick figure? I'm sure that you can improve on that. Perhaps you can tweak your previous image to include the kite, and insert that image instead of the stick figure? In case you've forgotten, allow me refresh your memory...

And my bellie aint that big any more.  GoWest, see what you started.  GG, help me out here.  I need something that won't scare the kids.  Maybe something with a dog, you know with my best friend in it.  Peace, Nolenator

cfd787f4-cd7e-4cb3-ba3c-25c13275d76c.jpgAs you command... Rev2

:):):huh:

Edited by NBJPoppa

Re: lucyandrickie's comments:

As others have suggested, the larger plume from the 1980 eruption might be nicer. On the other hand, one could use the smaller plume along with a bit more text. I wouldn't suggest "still smokin' 25 years later", but perhaps "still active 25 years later".

Just a thought.

I do like the Mt. St. Helen's idea. After all it is sets us apart from the other states,and it is the anniversary year. I vote we go for it. The space needle, columbia river, light houses and so forth will all be there for subsequent years. Color is nice but some how I prefer the simplicity of just the etching or embossed look.

Maybe replace the "Evergreen State" with Mount St Helens 25th Anniversary.

Good idea. This could actually be a special addition coin focusing on the 25 year anniversary. This way it can be completely different on that side. We might not even use the hiker guy and go with M10B idea of the full blown eruption in the engraved form using either the silver or gold/bronze color, whichever enhances the engraving the most. Then next year go back to our colored scenic version including our hiker. This could make this years coin a more valuable and sought after item. ~ Just two more cents worth. Now I am broke! :anitongue:

Edit: to correct grammer

Edited by Patudles
nolenator Posted on Feb 6 2005, 11:49 AM

I don't really like the St. Helens theme...

Peace, Nolenator 

I have to agree. This is a WASHINGTON STATE geocoin. I think the point is to commemorate the state and geocaching, not one specific location or event. If this was the Southwest WA Geocaching Assn, it would make perfect sense, but I think that the coin needs to appeal to cachers across the entire state. I don't agree that St Helens means WA to the rest of the country. Even though I don't care for a Seattle-centric coin, I think that something like the Space Needle is more identified with WA than the anniversary of the eruption. We may never be able to commemorate the 25th anniversary again, but there will always be the 26th, 27th, 30th, 50th and on and on. Some of the St Helen's coin designs have been OUTSTANDING! However, my preference is a coin that has a wider appeal. I really liked the Columbia River, lighthouse and Native art themes. I only wish that I had the ability to create some coin designs so that I could add something more constructive to the discussion.

This is a WASHINGTON STATE geocoin. I think the point is to commemorate the state and geocaching, not one specific location or event.

Whether you like it or not Mt St Helens is a world wide icon of WA ST. It made the news world wide 25 years ago and it made the news again. There are curtain things that represent the state nation wide. The space needle Mt Rainer Evergreen trees Unfortunately apples and Mt St Helens.

Mt St Helens could be considered part of, maybe about a dozen states. Even Oregon, oops there I go again :anitongue:

Aesthetically the Gorge image (I agree with the reference to it being an Oregon icon) is very nice. The lighthouse image could easily be an Oregon coin as well. I think using an icon that could ONLY be considered a Washington image is worth considering.

Edited by pdxmarathonman
I like Mount St Helens, because the Space needle and Mount Rainier are cliché. Where are the rug rats? We're not just hikers. Isn't this a family thing?

BTW. The Columbia is a Portland icon. This is the WSGA not the NWGA.

Huh, maybe I'm not understanding what your saying, but I thought the Columbia ran though the whole state of Washington.