What Are Your Hobbies Beside Geocaching?

aragorn05

Well, geocaching takes up alot of former hobby time, and moving from a house to a condo has put a damper on others. Some I am lucky enough to be able to combine with geocaching.

In currently varying levels of participation:

Shooting (target and skeet), paddling, restoring old mopars, ham radio, R/C cars and boats, american civil war (history and competitive shooting of civil war weapons), camping, hiking, riding my waverunner, computer hardware, first person shooters......I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

Oh, and I'm also about to (re)start homebrewing.

Edited by Mopar

I've been able to combine (as many other cachers have) a love of outdoor digital photography with geocaching. My digicam is as essential to my caching escapades as my GPSr. I recently upgraded to a 5.3 megapixel HP 945 with 8x optical zoom.

I also enjoy visiting historic sites, great and small. My recent trip to San Antonio, TX with Bear Babe gave me the chance to finally visit the Alamo, something I've wanted to do for quite a while (though we couldn't log the webcam cache for it, as we didn't have anyone available to get the pic for us!). Also had a chance to see the Institute of Texan Culture in SA and the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg, by far the finest museum of any kind that I've ever visited. I never tire of visiting Civil War battlefields and have been to all of the major and most of the minor ones in PA, MD, WV and VA (I've been to Shiloh in TN, too). I've been interested in Civil War history since I was a kid, particularly the role played by troops from my home state of NJ. I used to participate in Civil War reenacting, but no longer have enough time to devote to it.

I'm a fly fishing nut! Which means I tie flies, collect bugs, and catch plenty of trout. I like d it so much that I made it my work......spending most of my time between Late March and the end of November guiding fly fishermen down the Hiwassee River in southeast TN (Mostly class II and III whitewater). Actually have a few possible cache locations in the river gorge that would cool, requiring a nice whitewater ride to reach. Anyway....

I'm an avid member of Trout Unlimited which is a coldwater conservation organization. Pretty much our role is to try and protect the coldwater fisheries in a grass roots type approach. I've served as the newsletter editor, board member, and currently president of our chapter.

Also enjoy frisbee golf, golf, tennis, poker games, and now of course Geocaching!

Okay I'll bite on this one.

Anything that gets me outdoors I'm addicted quickly to it. Outdoor activities include in no particular order:

MTN CLIMBING, ROCK CLIMBING, BACKPACKING, HIKING, FISHING, GOLF, GOLD PANNING, ARCHERY TOURNEMENTS (3d) and HUNTING, SHOOTING SPORTS, STUNT KITE FLYING (I own about 10 differnt kites now), SNOWBOARDING, MTN BIKING and ROAD ROAD RIDING, WHITEWATER KAYAKING(recent addition of addictions), RAFTING, JET SKIING, TALKING OR USING CALLS to call in animals ( IE: elk, deer, ducks, geese, predators etc) and 4x4 or offroad trails.

Every year I spend over 30+ weekends away from the my house.

Indoor activities include, BILLIARDS( competitive league and tournament player for 10 years) TABLE TENNIS aka ping pong (won the junior olympics when I was 12, had a world ranked coach for a time) COMPUTER GAMES,(nascar racing 2003, tiger woods 05, joint ops FPS shooter game), COOKING, READING, dinking around on the internet land.....

I keep pretty busy but I always look for new additions to my addictions!!!!!!!!! Geocaching has really fit in to my life!!!

Edited by top pin
What is the Degree Confluence Project? I'm curious.

Thanks,

Hank

I like it even better than GeoCaching: DCP

The goal of the project is to visit each of the latitude and longitude integer degree intersections in the world, and to take pictures at each location. The pictures and stories will then be posted here.

Hmmmmmmm? Fishing high lakes that one has to hike into in Colorado (recommended reading: "Opening Forbidden Lakes" by Zoltan Malocsay-Camelbak with sectioned Eagleclaw backpackers fishing pole & tacklebox all stuffed inside), Hiking (all seasons), Photography, Geocaching, Target shooting, Camping, Backpacking, Cache hunting outside of geocaching, www.therangerstation.com, reading non-fiction, music, chronic sinusitis (what fun this is), letterboxing, bicycling, frisbee golf, 4 wheeling, church, I think that covers it all....................... <_<

Edited by Colorado Cacher

Travelling has always been fascinating to me so I try to indulge all my hobbies wherever I go.

My wife is an avid dog trainer. We have three German Shepherd Dogs who compete in a sport called Schutzhund - sort of a canine triathlon: obedience, tracking & protection. Our dogs have competed in events all over the U.S. and even crossed the border into Canada once. The dogs love to go cacheing!

I also enjoy disc golf, recording/collecting live music performances, thai & indian cuisine, and homebrewing. Having lived in France and Quebec, I speak french and enjoy keeping my language skills up even though I haven't been to a francophone country for ten years.

I work in computers at a major university. Through my job I get to take classes for free. Currently I'm studying The Music Of The Beatles. Pretty cool class so far! I'm very passionate about music. I mess around on my guitar, harmonica and Hammond organ but don't play any of them very well - it's still fun!

Last year I started riding my bike regularly and tried to do the regional MS150 ride. I made it through the first day (75 miles) but was too sore to complete the second. I'll be training harder this year and hope to complete the whole thing. I just got a handlebar mount for my eXplorist 300 <_<

I love caching, but can't get out as often as I'd like. I guess Genealogy would be near the top. Isn't it just another form of caching anyway? Instead of swag, you find dead ancestors! (now, if they only left the coords for where they were buried, then we'd really have something here!)

Girl Scouts, travel, crafting all sorts of useless stuff, camping. <_<

I love caching, but can't get out as often as I'd like.  I guess Genealogy would be near the top.  Isn't it just another form of caching anyway?  Instead of swag, you find dead ancestors!  (now, if they only left the coords for where they were buried, then we'd really have something here!)

Girl Scouts, travel, crafting all sorts of useless stuff, camping.  <_<

You may be on to something there -- gives new meaning to 'buried treasure'! I'm also into genealogy and waypoint marking tombstones sounds like a darn good idea - think I'm going to give it a try.

Other hobbies: skiing(alpine and nordic), snowshoeing, sailing, hiking of any kind - locating interesting wildflowers for my wife to photograph, Scottish Festivals and Highland Games, and now a geocaching newbie.

Yours aye,

The Prospectors

"Road? Where we're going we don't need - roads"

Dr. Emmett Brown

Edited by theprospectors

You may be on to something there -- gives new meaning to 'buried treasure'! I'm also into genealogy and waypoint marking tombstones sounds like a darn good idea - think I'm going to give it a try.

I agree, I think I am going to make it a project for this year and probably next to obtain the coorinates of as many of the burial sites as I can. I just did a search on interment locations in my files, I have 972 of them. Maybe I had bettewr make that a five year project <_<

You may be on to something there -- gives new meaning to 'buried treasure'!  I'm also into genealogy and waypoint marking tombstones sounds like a darn good idea - think I'm going to give it a try.

I agree, I think I am going to make it a project for this year and probably next to obtain the coorinates of as many of the burial sites as I can. I just did a search on interment locations in my files, I have 972 of them. Maybe I had bettewr make that a five year project <_<

Take your time - after all they're not going anywhere :blink:

I've been taking as many digital pictures of headstones as I can and embedding them into my paf files. Adding a lat/long would be a nice touch especially for the hard to find ones. Now we just need a snappy name for the process - gencaching perhaps or what about coldcaching errrr maybe not. Someone more creative than I am will come up with something.

Yours aye,

The Prospectors

"Road? Where we're going we don't need - roads!" Dr. Emmett Brown

Take your time - after all they're not going anywhere <_<

I've been taking as many digital pictures of headstones as I can and embedding them into my paf files. Adding a lat/long would be a nice touch especially for the hard to find ones. Now we just need a snappy name for the process - gencaching perhaps or what about coldcaching errrr maybe not. Someone more creative than I am will come up with something.

Yours aye,

The Prospectors

I'll vote for GENEOcaching

Take your time - after all they're not going anywhere :rolleyes:

I've been taking as many digital pictures of headstones as I can and embedding them into my paf files.  Adding a lat/long would be a nice touch especially for the hard to find ones.  Now we just need a snappy name for the process - gencaching perhaps or what about coldcaching errrr maybe not.  Someone more creative than I am will come up with something.

Yours aye,

The Prospectors

"Road? Where we're going we don't need - roads!"  Dr. Emmett Brown

I'll vote for GENEOcaching

YES! I would do that. I used to be really into genealogy, but I've put it aside for a few years. This would be a great way to get back into it. <_<

We currently enjoy camping and scouting. I also collect Department 56 villages. Other members of the team are into (in no particular order) RPGs, gun collecting, karate and dancing.

Mountain Biking is #1 hobby/sport, then comes Geocaching, Fishing/Kayaking followed by Cooking (cooking is kinda weird, but it's fun). Every now and then I'll bust out the paint and water color or something.

Then there's yard work. It's not really a hobby but at least it's outdoors.

Aside from caching:

Kayaking, reading, photography (I'd like to set up my darkroom again), cruising the internet for obscure research sites (yep, I'm a dork). I have recently tried my hand at climbing (indoor) - not much good at it (yet), but if I find a real job soon, I could see some of my money going on gear and a gym membership. Also just started doing a little yoga - who knows, maybe someday I will be in shape.

"I've been taking as many digital pictures of headstones as I can and embedding them into my paf files. Adding a lat/long would be a nice touch especially for the hard to find ones. Now we just need a snappy name for the process - gencaching perhaps or what about coldcaching errrr maybe not. Someone more creative than I am will come up with something."

um, how about....."Dead Reckoning".....?

You may be on to something there -- gives new meaning to 'buried treasure'!  I'm also into genealogy and waypoint marking tombstones sounds like a darn good idea - think I'm going to give it a try.

I agree, I think I am going to make it a project for this year and probably next to obtain the coorinates of as many of the burial sites as I can. I just did a search on interment locations in my files, I have 972 of them. Maybe I had bettewr make that a five year project :rolleyes:

Take your time - after all they're not going anywhere <_<

Yours aye,

The Prospectors

I think I mentioned in another thread somewhere that this is why I got a GPS in the first place - finding gravestones for genealogy. I don't have anywhere near 927, but I have found some interesting old cemeteries out in the middle of nowhere. In addition to graves, I've marked the locations of old family homesteads. I also got a copy of a 350 acre land grant given to our family in 1768 with the surveyor's markings. It's been fun to try to find the original land and mark the boundaries with waypoints.

As for other hobbies, computers are my occupation now, so I'm not sure how much of a hobby that really is. Music, disc golf, kayaking, mountain biking, reading, genealogy (as mentioned), darts, and running with scissors.

The husband likes computers, creating web pages, and XBox live. I enjoy Scrapbooking and doing things with my kids. And, I can combine all three of my hobies. We take a picture at each cache we find and I put them into a scrapbook along with a short story about that cache and the kids like to go Geocaching and "reliving" the caches by looking through the scrapbooks! <_<:rolleyes:

Watching NASCAR!!!

+ most any other type of automotive racing.

I'm a self trained graphic designer by trade, but I enjoy it enough that I could consider it a hobby. Design mainly for tshirt printers & sign companies.

We (my family & I) also enjoy camping.

The real kind, with a tent and on the ground with sleeping bags.

None of those fancy smancy Holiday Inn on wheels for us!! :P

I also enjoy creative cooking. Modifying recipes with my own touches.

MOST of them usually turn out quite tasty!

Now the cleaning up afterward is a whole nuther story!

Rachel Ray on the Food Network is my favorite

(Not to mention she's quite CUTE! :P )

Don't tell my wife I said that! :P

:P:P

D-man :P

backpacking the true outdoors sport-its what led me to geocaching-because i could not always go backpacking all the time or even on the weekends-and i didnt care to much for dayhikes i always thought these people were cheating themselves because they didnt have to carry all the gear that one would need to survive out in the wild-thats why dayhikes just didnt seem exciting to me-then came geocaching and it made the whole day hike thing just click and make more sense i have something to do now during the week and during the weekend-well thats when im not working because i work a lot and that leaves me not much time for geocaching

Spending time with my little girl.

Long Drive golf. Basically it's a sport to see who can hit a golf ball the farthest. Training and practicing to compete in the Re/Max World Long Drive Championships in Mesquite, Nv.

www.remaxwldc.com is the website for that.

Longest in competition: 374 yards.

Longest drive non competition: 390 yards

I actually collect hobbies. You can name a hobby and I probably got into it for a short time. It's amazing how long I've been able to work on geocaching. I can name at least 10 different projects in different stages of completion, and show you an attic of forgotten hobbies.

you're not alone in that! things i just HAD to try but gave up on after a short while. me thinks i've given in to geocaching a bit too much. :P

I actually collect hobbies. You can name a hobby and I probably got into it for a short time. It's amazing how long I've been able to work on geocaching. I can name at least 10 different projects in different stages of completion, and show you an attic of forgotten hobbies.

But how many of your other hobbies did you actually make a living at!

no particular order:

fly fishing, canoeing, kayaking, surf fishing, target shooting, hiking, camping, snowmobiling, golden retriever rescue, reading, history, travel, internet research. i've probably forgotten a few, but i just know that it all started many years ago with an interest in alaska and the rest is a hazy blur. :unsure:

in between i help out my daughter's scout troop and softball team. she's about your age--12 this coming summer.

-denali

I can name at least 10 different projects in different stages of completion, and show you an attic of forgotten hobbies.

Wait a minute! Who told Jeremy he could take time off for hobbies?

Doesn't he have a loooong and never-ending list of enhancements to

implement?

Stick with the program, man.

Edited by The Old Bet Brigade

Yup! Thats me as well!

My longest lasting and most passionate hobby has been fishing for just about anything using a fly-rod. Since I am also a Fisheries Biologist for the state of PA, I even get paid to stomp around streams and lakes sampling all kinds of fish populations. How cool is that!

A short list of the hobbies that come and go...then come back again: Geocaching, anything historical...especially American history, cooking, model building, fly-tying, hunting, photography, reading, cycling, caving, Jeeping, and coin collecting.

However, having a second job as a pizza chef, to pay of grad loans, allows me very little time for any of them.

But someday.....

Salvelinus

I like to do a lot of things, but my hobbies - those habitual activities that take up gobs of time - are collecting world paper money, writing music and Aikido. If you'd like, you can listen to some of the stuff I helped to compose @ www.burningpeace.com I'm not with the band, but I played with and still collaborate with the lead singer, and several of their songs are ones I have either written or contributed to. They are pretty darned good and hearing them makes me pine for the 'good old days' of when I was still playing. If the satellites fall from the sky and I can't geocache anymore, maybe it'll free some time so I can get into it again.

Are there other aikidoka who like to geocache? I was thinking that it would be cool to have some caches based on the philosophies - like "Way of the Mountain Echo" and "Pine, Bamboo and Plum".