What Are Your Hobbies Beside Geocaching?

aragorn05

From my profile:

Cooking, hiking, backpacking, fishing (fly and spin, mostly for trout and bass), softball, playing and coaching soccer, volleyball,skiing, reading, history, politics, good beer (esp. Guinness), good wine, good food and music (punk, indie, alternative, 80's new wave, celtic, folk and classical). I'm also an avocational archaeologist and have excavated throughout the northeast. I spend most of my Sundays playing in the dirt, where we're excavating a 6,000 year old Indian village

[Dirty work but someone has to do it . Its lots of fun, even while digging in the hot sun on a 95 degree August day. Well that does cut down on the fun factor a bit, but when you find something exciting it makes up for it. ]

I thought it would be fun! What areas do you do that in? :D

Oh boy, this topic is a big bucket of worms for me. My biggest Hobby Is I am in the SCA. The Society for Creative Anachronism, or SCA, is an organization dedicated to researching and re-creating the middle ages. Because of this, I make chainmail, sew, do research on heraldry, and dress in about 50 pounds of armor and fight. Most of the time when I am at an SCA event I ware a Scottish great kilt. My Lady bought me a modern kilt that is made from camouflage material that I may ware out geocaching next summer. Still my greatest passion in the SCA is making armor. I love making chainmail. Any person who has found a cache after me knows my trademark geocaching item is a chainmail ball.

I am also into many types of gaming. I have been playing role playing games such as AD&D for over 20 years. I also enjoy tabletop miniature war games. My current table top game of choice is Warhammer 40000, but I play many others. I also enjoy many of the standard board games like risk and monopoly. For those of you who are asking the question right now. Yes I keep my dice in a chainmail dice bag.

I am an Amateur Radio operator (HAM), I also collect antique Lionel electric trains; I enjoy reading, especially history; I like to visit Civil War battlefields and historic sites; and although I haven't done so recently, I enjoy working on old Volkswagens; and there are a ton of other things that interest me that I just haven't been able to get to yet.

I enjoy photography, cooking, gaming (Game Cube, GameBoy Advance, PS2), hiking, playing billiards (even though I suck at it). I love to ski and ride my ATV through the mountains and the desert, and snowmobiling. I also love to read web comics (does that count as a hobby?).

Edit: Should this be sent ot the off-topic forum? No.

Edited by Black Mage

Gee where do I start, I enjoy sailing, diving and fishing, I ride horses and mountain bikes I abseil and rock climb. I an a volunteer marine rescue skipper and state emergency service member and I am a volunteer reptile rescuer. I am the commanding officer for a Navy cadet unit. I collect Hawiaan shirts, hot wheels cars and bromeliad plants. I have an Australian Stumpy Tailed Cattle Dog stud and keep snakes, lizards and cichlids. In my limited spare time I sleep... :D

Other than geocaching, I enjoy driving, modifying and working on my Baja bug, international travel (when I can afford it, which isn't often), playing bass in our band (rock of the older variety), and amateur digital photography. Other than the bass playing, my other interests complement geocaching very nicely - probably why I'm enjoying it so much! :D

I am an avid scuba diver, as you can see from my avatar. Yep, that's me at 135'. I also bowl in a couple of leagues, love tennis and online backgammon.

I've inadvertently ended up in the middle of a paintball uhhh exchange???? Maybe the gps manufactureres will have new models with micro paint ball shooting capability in the near future?

Mine includes in no particular order: reading (mostly fantasy and Sci-fi, especially Orson Scott Card), cooking and eating new and different cuisines, hiking/camping, video games, building and optimizing PCs, Origami, Jujitsu, digital photography, drawing and enjoying life in general.

-forgot to add travel, my wife and I went to Italy last year for vacation and we loved it. We're going to try and hit a new country every other year (assuming we can afford it).

Hey Team GPSaxophone, did you set up any public displays this last year in Colorado Springs? It's possible I've might been driven by this past Christmas :D

-Rich

Edited by ngr00
Enjoying the thread...but should this be in the "off topic" forum?

My reasons for not closing or moving this thread...

We are a community of sorts.

We are, oddly enough, a global community.

We are a community of geocachers.

I think learning about each other's personal interests and hobbies gives some insight to other members of the community. I think it can help some of us establish some common bonds of sorts. In another community I am a part of I tell them about geocaching. I have converted one person so far, and it was purely accidental. They saw my web site and thought geocaching looked cool and fun. Their family went out and found a cache, and as all of you know so well, the rest is history.

I would be interested to know of other cachers that have similar hobbies that I like, other than geocaching. I would hope that discussions like this one might help us know each other a little better as a community. I would hope it would make us better friends, and in the end I hope it might make some forum discussions more like discussions rather than flame-fest like we see sometimes. What vehicle you drive is not that personal, but your hobbies and interests are (and your hobby might be restoring or racing cars, etc., which is more "on topic" for this discussion).

My hobbies are my pets, hiking (obviously), travel, photography and astronomy. Please keep in mind that tomorrow is the 2 year anniversary of the Columbia disaster. I have been thinking about it a lot over the last few weeks myself as we prepare for our return to space in a few months. I also play all of the Myst series of games and I am heavily into the UntilURU online gaming community. I converted an UntilURU player to geocaching. If you play UntilURU, I am on the Tapestry shard as mtn'man. I'm the guy in the red shirt, khaki pants and the panama hat.

Hi Velma,

My daughter is nearly 11 and she likes Irish step dancing. She is a tall, skinny dancer. On a Saturday she may get all sore and worn out from hiking up a mountain to find a geocache, and then on Sunday she has to turn around and go to dance class! She is in really good shape. I also like learning about my Irish heritage but I am smart enough not to try dancing.

Besides geocaching, we like to go skiing together, especially downhill skiing but she just got a pair of cross-country skis for Christmas.

Geocaching wiped most of my other hobbies right off the map.

My reasons for not closing or moving this thread...

We are a community of sorts.

We are, oddly enough, a global community.

We are a community of geocachers.

I think learning about each other's personal interests and hobbies gives some insight to other members of the community.

Alright, who are you and what did you do with the real mtn-man?

:D

Hobbies, yeah, I have a few.

Juggling. Pumpkin carving. Roller Coaster Riding. Roller Hockey Goaltending. Trivia Contests. Online FPS/MMORPG. The occasional day-hike.

Music, Cub Scouting with my boy(s).

Uh oh! I do music and have one son in Cub Scouts (former Cubmaster I am) and one son in Boy Scouts (Asst Scout Master I am).

As a noob, I'm still feeling my way around, and since this is a "Markwell" like entry, does this mean I've been "Markwell'ed"?........

......I read all the recent posts about Markwell, haven't figured out what it means yet, though..........

No more than the 'Why did you choose that screen name?' or 'Who's lurking?' threads.

Gosh, people take this whole 'stick to the topic thing' a little to seriously. Relax, have a good time and enjoy the conversation. i mean really, have you ever been outside and talked about a project you did indoors? isnt that the wrong place to talk about that! if you're outside talk about outside stuff, lol

steve