Want to start geocaching... but I need help!

spaceykingsfan

I heard about geocaching & it sounds very cool. I borrowed my uncles GPS & I am trying to get it to work. The problem is that it is a really old model. It is a Magellan 2000 (made in 1996). I can't figure out how to get it to work. The instructions say to turn it on and it should lock on to the satellite to find out the cordinates, but I can't get the thing to lock on to anything. I'm out in the open, so there shouldn't be any problems with that. Please help me... I would really like to try out geocaching. Thank you so much! icon_smile.gif

Here's a direct link to the Magellan GPS 2000 manual on the Magellan site (http://www.magellangps.com/).

Now, as for acquisition times... It appears to be a 12-channel parallel receiver ("AllView 12 Technology, tracks up to 12 satellites to compute and update position information"), so you shouldn't have the problems that *really* old receivers have. Now, it is possible that the satellite almanac in the unit is very outdated (if it hasn't been used in ages, this is likely the case). If you leave it out in the open and it can find at least one satellite, it'll download a new almanac and should lock on in around 2.5 minutes after that.

Have you tried to re-initialize the unit? Look for the the function in the main menu page.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be."

-Douglas Adams

[This message was edited by Navdog on May 20, 2002 at 01:22 PM.]