Geocaching On Horseback

I know of one who does in Oregon. Unfortunatly I don't know his caching name only his chat name and he doesn't chat all the time. :D

Back in the beginning Jerry Connelly cached on horse back. But he hasn't been heard from in a long time. Three of his caches have been adopted. GC12, GC16, and GC17.

Is this who you were thinking about?

Byron

I know of one who does in Oregon. Unfortunatly I don't know his caching name only his chat name and he doesn't chat all the time. :D

Back in the beginning Jerry Connelly cached on horse back. But he hasn't been heard from in a long time. Three of his caches have been adopted. GC12, GC16, and GC17.

Is this who you were thinking about?

Byron

Don't know his real name or caching name.

I only know him as mountain in chat.

I have four caches along shared Hiking/Equestrian trail in Shawnee National Forest: Buffalo Rock, Crow Knob, Arch, and Sand Cave.

However, I have only had one person log Sand Cave that arrived by horseback:

October 13, 2004 by B Team (106 found)

Found this one while in the area for some horseback riding, also introduced some friends to geocaching. Satelite reception in the area was not great, but enjoyed the hunt. Thanks for the cache. TNLN

The B Team

Cincinnati Ohio.

I expect there will be more throughout the years.

GEO.JOE

Thanks everyone for your responses. I occasionally write articles for horse magazines so I was thinking an article about geocaching on horseback would be different. It looks like my focus may be about geocache first and if you want to saddle up there are caches accessible that way too, making the horse part secondary. I'll have to think more on this one.

I dabble at riding, and the little lady shows hunter jumpers, and also foxhunts. Whenever I go on a trailride i'll use the gps to keep track of distance and such.

I have often thought about taking the horses along on a cache with a long hike, but for us it's usually not worth the trouble of getting everything ready.

I see no reason why it couldn't be a great deal of fun, if you pick the cache right.

Joe SMith

I just started geocaching, and have ridden my horse out a few times. The biggest concern for me while caching with Jadehorse is the ticks! Terrain can also be a problem.

I, erm, don't exactly have a GPS, so holding it while riding isn't a problem. I check the coords on GoogleEarth, sketch out a map of trails, bushes, and landmarks, check the logs, and hit the trail. It's worked well enough thus far, and it'll have to do until I get a GPSr. <_<

I am a newbie cacher and avid horsewoman. We mainly ride trails here in the Md, Pa area. Since I have started caching I have found 1 via horseback. I always check for cache pages to see if there are any hidden in the parks I am riding in.

I am looking forward to finding even more on horseback. What a way to combine 2 of my most favoriate activities together to make an even more enjoyable experience.

I just hold the GPS in my hand as we ride along. For the cache that I have already found on horseback, my hubby held the horse while I scaled the cliff on foot to retrieve the cache :anitongue:

Flight w/o Wings

Mermaidude - I will send you an email :grin:

Hi there,

I'm trying to locate any indivudual or group that does geocaching on their horses. If you do this or know someone who does who I can ask some questions about it, please contact me at appytails@telus.net

Thanks,

Cheryl

I am a newbie cacher and avid horsewoman. We mainly ride trails here in the Md, Pa area. Since I have started caching I have found 1 via horseback. I always check for cache pages to see if there are any hidden in the parks I am riding in.

I am looking forward to finding even more on horseback. What a way to combine 2 of my most favoriate activities together to make an even more enjoyable experience.

I just hold the GPS in my hand as we ride along. For the cache that I have already found on horseback, my hubby held the horse while I scaled the cliff on foot to retrieve the cache :anitongue:

Flight w/o Wings

A great place in PA near me for horseback riding and geocaching would be French Creek state park. I just did most of the caches there and other than Stately Tree, a horse would have been a asset. I haven't ridden in years... maybe I have to get back in the saddle!

Hi everyone. Thanks for the responses! The article was published last year. But don't let that stop you from giving others suggestions, just that I'm no longer looking for quotes or personal experiences that I can write about!

No, I don't have a special holder on my saddle for the gps. I have a saddle horn bag that I could use if needed. I have a lanyard that hangs around my neck, so I can easily ride a walk and hold it in my hand as needed.

What I found from my previous research is that as of one year ago there are no trail riding groups that are dedicated to geocaching on horseback. Instead trail riders do some research for caches in an area they're going to ride in, make sure horses are allowed in the area, and go to it. Whenever I find caches on foot, if its a trail that horses are allowed on I will log in the comments. When I hide a cache I will also mention if accessible by horseback and where to park a trailer. But of course not everyone hiding caches owns horses or even thinks that someone on a horse will come looking for it, so accessibility by horseback is often left out.

We have not geocached on horseback...YET. There are 4 within easy riding distance from our barn. Holding off on doing them until we have the time to do with the horses. If we had a truck and trailer we would be out geocaching on horseback MOST of the time! I ride in an endurance saddle and have a front pack that I'm thinking I'll be able to clip my GPS to. Don't think it will be a problem. Definately looking forward to it!