Little Bit Of Info Please

Hi all

we are new to geocaching (only 17 up to today) but we are enjoying it

you might have seen our logs of the few we have found, we are the ones who always go the wrong way but find cache eventually :P

what i was wanting to know.... when i have been checking the cache finds of other members they have caches that are not on my list, are there caches for people who are premier members only? if so can we do these or not? (we are just members)

also how do i find archived caches or can we only do the ones on the main list

i would appreciate any info you can give me

Us 4 and Jess

HI there,

Firstly, welcome to this strange obsession we have!

There are some caches for premium members only, but usually less than a dozen in the whole country active at any one time.

As for archived caches, they are usually archived for a good reason.

Given your found caches so far, I'm assuming you live in the Durham region? This region is in the middle ground. Not saturated, but not bereft of caches, and good quality caches at that. Enjoy your caching, and feel free to ask any question you want to here.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to contact some of the local cachers.

It's a shame you missed the NE meet last Saturday as there were a few cachers there from your neck of the woods.

thank you for your fast reply rutson

i have rechecked and maybe i am wrong, i thought other people had done caches that were not on my list

i thought maybe as new ones were being added the older ones were archived, i now know the achived caches are ones that have problems and are "closed" rather than archived because they are old

i hope you understand that not sure if i have explained myself very well

can you tell us a really good area for caching as we have a caravan and often pop away for the weekend

us 4 and jess

Rather depends what SORT of caches you like. I see you have only attempted traditional single part caches so far. How much walking do you like to do? I suppose some part of the NY moors would be as there are a good few caches there. I trust Leoness or someone will step in now with something more specific........

No idea about caravans as I don't own one! :D

Looking at the caches Us 4 and Jess have already done and comparing that with the interactive map on GCUK, there are plenty more left in the Co Durham area to keep them quiet for a long while yet!

Having no idea what their preferences are, it's difficult to recommend anything specific.

Why not set a goal like I did, to find every cache in Co Durham, for example. That way you get to know your home county pretty well and get to experience a wide variety of different types of caches, as you have to find them all (rather than sticking to the easy ones!)

Naturally, I can recommend most of the caches in N Yorkshire and there are some very nice ones in the Lake District too (you don't HAVE to be a fell walker to get to some of them) although I wouldn't recommend towing a caravan up Hardknott Pass!!!!!! :):D:P (I think they're banned anyway)

PS: I had a long, lazy lie in this morning and now my body clock has slipped and I'm not feeling sleepy! :D

Edited by Leoness

thanks for all your help

we aren't really just doing the "easy ones" what i have done is just printed off the list from home the nearest ones (within a ten mile radius) and we are working from home out

we have 2 kids who want to find something at the end of their "treasure hunt" so i don't think they would be very interested in the vitual caches, hubby me and jess will do those while kids are at school

we are in no hurry loads of caches loads of time to do them, i think we are doing ok since hubby only gets 1 day of one weekend and 2 next weekend

we are members of the north east 4x4 club and get up to the lakes area greenlaning 4 or 5 times a year so im sure we will get some done up there, we also pop to catterick market once in a while are there many in that area

thanks again for your help, please let me know if i'm being a pain, cos i'm one of those folks if you are going to answer my question, i will ask them lol

us 4 and jess

mandy

Hi Mandy

You go ahead and ask away. There are many people who frequent these forums who are only too happy to offer their help and advice.

With regards to Catterick, I know the Sunday market to which you refer, which is held at the racecourse. There is a cache just yards from the car park which is an easy one to find - click on this link to take you to the cache page.

There are 5 other caches in and around Richmond, namely...

Easby View

Roaming Round Richmond

Leoness' Yorkshire Den - I had to mention this one!!!

Jagger Lane

and Willance's Leap

None is a virtual, which should keep your kids happy. :D

we have 2 kids who want to find something at the end of their "treasure hunt" so i don't think they would be very interested in the vitual caches, hubby me and jess will do those while kids are at school

Be sure not to miss 'Steam Bricks', my kids would've like that one.

Also in the summer we are likely to go to flamingo land and light water valley and i have relations in malton are there any close to these places, (about a 10-15 mile radius)

thanks

mandy

May I recommend that you use THIS MAP to help you plan your caching trips. :D

It can take a while to load, especially if you're using dial up, so be patient. If you click on one of the dots, it will open the cache page for you and you will be able to plan your trips more easily.

When I was living in N Yorks, there were over 150 caches and more have been added since I left in September 2004, so there are plenty for you to find. :D

Hi U4nJ,

Come to Poole – lots of great coastal caches and others in the rolling Purbeck hills.

Like you we started on Trad caches only – but when local ones ran out found that virtuals nearly always take you somewhere interesting. Also having two under 8s we found they could be motivated to hunt for the answer to a question or whatever the subject of the virtual cache is. And usually we ensure they are rewarded with either something from the stash of child friendly swaps we carry or (horror of horrors) sweets! <_<

And the caches others have found that you find aren’t listed are almost certainly old ones that have been now been archived. Typically that could be because the cache was repeatedly “muggled” or the owner has retired from the game.

Have fun,

Rather depends what SORT of caches you like. I see you have only attempted traditional single part caches so far. How much walking do you like to do? I suppose some part of the NY moors would be as there are a good few caches there. I trust Leoness or someone will step in now with something more specific........

The North York Moors? It's a caching wilderness! Which is a big shame.