Gps Units For Pocket Pc?

Rina120

Hello all!

So i want to get started on geocaching. I would ike to know th possibilities of using a pocketPC as my device.

I know of the weather concerns, but that is not an issue for me. I am looking into something for the CF slot. My main reason for wanting to do this is because I want the possibility of using it in my car as well for voice prompts and directions.

What CF decives are you using and with what software combination?

I am trying to spend as little as possible for quality.

Thanks in advance!

Hello all!

So i want to get started on geocaching. I would ike to know th possibilities of using a pocketPC as my device.

I know of the weather concerns, but that is not an issue for me. I am looking into something for the CF slot. My main reason for wanting to do this is because I want the possibility of using it in my car as well for voice prompts and directions.

What CF decives are you using and with what software combination?

I am trying to spend as little as possible for quality.

Thanks in advance!

There are GPS expansion cards that come with software built-in. That is if I'm understanding the question correctly. :o

I picked up a Transplant GPSr for the CF slot in my IPAQ. It has WAAS turned on automatically. I understand there is a newer version out that uses even less of the battary. I did walk around Toronto for about 6 hours with the GPS unit running before having to recharge. Now, the sleeve for the IPAQ (NexiPak -- I have a 3670) also had a battary.

Then I used Mapopolis (sp?) for the routing voice instructions, GPx Sonar for the cache tracking (paperless) and GPS Tuner for the in close work.

--KG7JE (oh, and PocketFMS for the airplane when I pilot -- make a nice backup should the panel take a vacation).

I use a Pharos CF GPS or a Magellan SporTrak connected to a Dell Axim. I use Mapopolis software (for street navigation), but I use Memory-Map Navigator for off-road use. It gives me FULL detail topo maps (not those crappy watered-down GPS-type maps) and I can load data right from Geocaching.com to my program. Also, I can look at the maps in 3D (on my PC) with Memory-Map, so I can see which is actually the best approach to a site.