Today's Cacher

El Diablo

Why must they be gc.com-centric?  Why can't they simply make generic references to things like rules?  For instance, it was noted in an earlied post that TC article stated that something was "against the rules" and those were specifically the rules of gc.com.  Why not just say that it is against the rules on "some sites"?  Or even mention that is against gc.com rules...but there are different guidelines other sites (like 123.com, xyz.com, etc)

Well, for 99% of the readers, gc.coms rules are the only ones that matter, but that's besides the point. A lot of people keep commenting on Today's Cacher's rules post. If I remember correctly, someone in the letters to the editor section made a comment about moving caches. The editor made a comment about moving caches not being allowed anymore. If my memory serves me well, after it was pointed out that that rule only applies to GC.com, he ammended the comment, AND posted a whole article the next month about a listing service just for moving caches. Sure seems pretty unbiased and responsible to me. Everyone occasionally makes mistakes (coughRATHERGATEcough). I think TC went out of their way to correct the mistake once it was pointed out. What more can you ask for?

Edited by Mopar
Isn't that why most businesses even have "articles" in magazines and newspapers....to "advertise" their existence? Do we really think most businesses have articles written for trade magazines, newspapers, etc simply for providing unbiased information about the subject matter.

Yes, but most articles in magazines and newspapers are at least informative, not just an advertisement.

Because of a conflict of interest, I'll be relinquishing my position with Today's Cacher. I've enjoyed the contact and communication with readers, and wish the staff of Today's Cacher all the best in the future.

Pye

No matter how this plays out I will be behind you 100%

Cache On!

Indy Diver

Hey, I thought this thread was closed?

:P

I've read Today's Cacher a few times and have a couple links to some of its articles on our MGS site. Guess you can't please everybody, but I do have to ask: How much is too much when these threads keep getting started? Seems to be every so often El Diablo posts another thread about TC. Just let those that are happy with your work continue to read it, and those that aren't can continue to ignore it. Starting threads like this just leads to criticism from the more vocal folks that aren't fond of the publication.

Is TC a good publication? SURE!

Are there things that could be done differently? SURE!

El Diablo: Not everyone's going to be happy with your work unless you listen to and do everything that is suggested. If you feel you can do that, then great! Go ahead and do it. Whether or not you can accomplish all that all depends on how important readership is to you and the rest of the TC crew/staff. I wish you luck.

Pyewacket: I know it was probably tough to step away from your position with TC but if you felt conflicted, it was definitely the best thing for you. I congratulate you on your ability to recognize the conflict and remove yourself from it. :D

All: In the grand scheme of things (not only life, but geocaching as well), none of this is all that important. None of this is really worth the headache. If TC runs the article on Terracaching, will you start to read it regularly? Choose your battles! If ED is content to run the publication as it is being run, then let him do so. There's plenty to read in these forums and plenty to contribute to the hobby/sport that goes a lot farther to improve/enhance the hobby/sport than this thread every will.

We got along without TC for a long time, it's not an integral part of the hobby/sport, and spending this much time on the subject neither enhances nor improves it.

:)

Hey, I thought this thread was closed?

:P

I've read Today's Cacher a few times and have a couple links to some of its articles on our MGS site. Guess you can't please everybody, but I do have to ask: How much is too much when these threads keep getting started? Seems to be every so often El Diablo posts another thread about TC. Just let those that are happy with your work continue to read it, and those that aren't can continue to ignore it. Starting threads like this just leads to criticism from the more vocal folks that aren't fond of the publication.

Is TC a good publication? SURE!

Are there things that could be done differently? SURE!

El Diablo: Not everyone's going to be happy with your work unless you listen to and do everything that is suggested. If you feel you can do that, then great! Go ahead and do it. Whether or not you can accomplish all that all depends on how important readership is to you and the rest of the TC crew/staff. I wish you luck.

Pyewacket: I know it was probably tough to step away from your position with TC but if you felt conflicted, it was definitely the best thing for you. I congratulate you on your ability to recognize the conflict and remove yourself from it. :D

All: In the grand scheme of things (not only life, but geocaching as well), none of this is all that important. None of this is really worth the headache. If TC runs the article on Terracaching, will you start to read it regularly? Choose your battles! If ED is content to run the publication as it is being run, then let him do so. There's plenty to read in these forums and plenty to contribute to the hobby/sport that goes a lot farther to improve/enhance the hobby/sport than this thread every will.

We got along without TC for a long time, it's not an integral part of the hobby/sport, and spending this much time on the subject neither enhances nor improves it.

:)

i agree

How about we all shake hands, and put this one to bed?

I'd like to thank everyone that participated in the discussion. I think everyone got to see things from another point of view.

El D, you have our opinions it's up to you to do what you think is right.

Bye for now!

Joe Smith

Personally I think it is just a round about way to increase awareness of his for profit venture, but what do I know?

Great marketing...huh? :P

I started this thread to be proactive to what I knew was coming.

There have been a lot of questions about our tag-line..."A magazine for Geocachers everywhere" Let me clairify my meaning of that. It means around the globe, not around the different sites.

As far as the Terracaching article being pulled...I have several reasons both business and personal that I won't run it. and this isn't the place to explain.

I am biased towards GC. The magazine tries very hard not to be biased about anything. My staff will tell you that I have published a lot of articles that I disagreed with. We are a diverse group of people that form a team with a common goal.

By now everyone has had a chance to say what they thought about the magazine and my personal stance. So I'm closing the thread. You are more than welcome to email me with any other thoughts.

Thanks!

El Diablo

El Diablo indicated he closed this thread, and since he hasn't responded since I'll assume that he meant to lock it but it didn't go through. If I'm wrong he can unlock it and respond. Till then I'm closing the thread for him.