Etrex Vista C And City Select North America?

Breiti

Currently I have an Etrex Vista and intend to buy an Etrex Vista C together with City Select North America. In this regard I have the following questions:

1. Is the 24 MB memory sufficient to download all major cities?

2. How big are the pieces of City Select to download? In old MapSource versions one piece was always 8 MB, so that only three areas were downloadable. Or are the downloadable parts free of choice in their wideness?

3. How reliable is the navigation of City select in a car?

4. Where to buy best (e.g. in a bundle)?

5. Any recommendations if not Etrex Vista C is the choice?

6. How long last the batteries, e.g. 2000 mAh rechargeables? Much shorter than with an Etrex Vista black/white?

In CS you select map segments, each segment varies in size but on average it's about 3mb in urban areas and 1mb for rural. In the Atlanta area 22.7mb covers an area roughly (starting in Calhoun) 90 miles South (down to La Grange) and everything about 130 miles East (clear over to Martinez)

How reliable is auto-navigation? It's good, not perfect, but good.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I use a Legend C, pretty much the same unit. We cache all day on a set of NIMH rechargebles, in the car we use a cig. lighter adapter. I have found the City Select to be very accurate. The 24MB has been plenty for us on some pretty long road trips. All of Houston, Texas area (an area 60x70 miles ) is 13.8MB. The map pieces are of a defined size. On a long trip you don't need to load the highway portion of your trip, the maps built in to the GPS will cover that.

Thanks for the answer.

Seems that only 24 MB memory is still one disadvantage of the Etrex Vista. But 3 MB is better than 8.

Are you currently working with an Etrex Vista C? In that case are you satisfied with the power supply?

Keep in mind, that 3 mb might just be part of a large city. Trying to limit it to Atlanta proper still is 8 mb total. At least you have a chance to just include maps along your route.

I'm using an old Vista and 76cs .

Power supply? Do you mean batteries? You'll get about 20 hours (especailly if you shut off the compass.

Obviously, plugging it in while in the car is the way to go.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I saw the GPSmap 60cs in action. Nice display and maybe a better antenna, but too unhandy for my purposes.

Yes, I meant the batteries. I have a charge cable for the car for my old Vista, but never used it because the act to connect it was too circumstancial - in my view.

My question regarding the batteries was more whether the color display is much power consuming.

My question regarding the batteries was more whether the color display is much power consuming.

Nope, in fact it's listed with a longer bat. life than the Vista.

How is the autorouting different from a 60c(s) rather than the Legend/vista C??

Faster processer, bigger display.

Gotcha, thanks for your clarificaiton. I'm leanign toward the 60c, but also looking at the vista c. I'm going to make a purchase next week and gathering all the info I can.