Multi Cache Credits

Jasarah27

I am thining about making a multi cache and i was going to hide the first cache which would be a film canister and once they find that it would have coordinates to another cache and i would to this about 4 times before they get to the regular cache with the goodies inside but what i wanted to know is if there was a way that i could make it so that they would get credit for 5 caches found? I know if i listed the first one they would get credit for that but how else could i make it so they got credit for five is there a way that anyone knows of? I mean it is like finding 5 caches so i think it's only fair that they get the credit don't you?

Hey there Jasarah27

Only way I know of is to create 4 "micros", each holding something special, to make the cacher hit them all. You could put a coord number in it, or maybe a word phrase. Have the final very hard to find without a tip or coord from the earlier micro's.

A friend of mine did the following series.

Wee One - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c8-1e23246183c0

Wee Two - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...83-5a81a49caf6c

Wee Three - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...aa-60e84dd73720

Wee Final - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ef-c56d6fd60db9

So, yes it can be done. Just take your time when you set it up.

Good Luck SF1

cool thanks i think i'll have to ome up with a way to list 4 of the micro's and figure out a way that will lead one to another until the final one which has the coordinates to the regular cache. too bad i can't list the 1st with coordinates and the other four with just hints and no coordinates or is that possible? I kind of want a way so that you just can't go straight to the 4th one and find the regular cache that easily i would like them to go thru the whole series to get to the regular cache but iguess if that isn't possible then i'll list them all with coordinates and they will just get credit for how many they find. I'm sure they would want to go for all 5 to get the credit of findning it but then again i guess maybe listing all of them with coordinates wouldn't be too bad cause if their just visiting and don't have time ti go thru the whole series of caches then they could just choose which ones to go to. <_<

Check out Kit Fox's "Fox Den Mystery Multi". You have to do six individual caches to get the clues for the "bonus" cache.

The Ladybug Kids are building something similar in a bike path series. We have most of the individual caches already active. Each cache has a code word on the log sheet. Once we complete the series, we'll hide the "bonus" cache and cachers will have to use the code words they collected from the first caches to solve for the coordinates of the final cache. That way, there are smilies all around for those who count and we were able to get more caches active sooner in cache-poor interior Alaska.

I'm just curious. Why do you feel its so important to have credit for each stage?

Is a good multi the one where you get the most credits or is it the one where have fun in searching, solving riddles and enjoying a beautiful landscape ...

Sorry - I forgot: It's all about the numbers <_<

I mean it is like finding 5 caches so i think it's only fair that they get the credit don't you?

No, if its a single multi cache it should be a single "found it". To many of us its about the hunt and having fun, not about how many smileys we can rack up.

To answer your other question, if you want people to get "credit" for all 5 stages, make four of them a standalone traditional cache and the fifth one a mystery cache. In the first four put partial coordinates for the fifth. That way people finding all five can add five smileys to their count.

It basically up to you as creator of the cache to give smileys as you see fit.

Out of all of the multis I have only 1 on them allows two smileys. One smiley for the in town quest, and if you wish after you've found it you can read the instructions and go for the other half or just quit.

The next multi I'm working on has about 5 stages but is only one smiley, and the one after that one is part two of series cache and even though the stages are separate by quite a distance only one smiley for all that work.

To me its the cache and not the smileys that give me a big grin.

Thanks for plugging my cache Ladybug Kids! The key reason Fox Den makes you find six other caches is to introduce people to the area in which I live. Cachers basically go on a tour of my town, finding caches on the way. When cachers are done, they have found 7 caches total.

too bad i can't list the 1st with coordinates and the other four with just hints and no coordinates or is that possible? I kind of want a way so that you just can't go straight to the 4th one and find the regular cache that easily i would like them to go thru the whole series to get to the regular cache but iguess if that isn't possible.

This can be done using the method on my Fox Den cache. Another way to do it would be to make the first cache a traditional cache. The second, through 5th caches would be mystery caches. They would need to find part 1 to get the coords for part two. The same would go for parts three, four, and five. You would need to post fake coordinates for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th cache in order to make it work.

If the distance isn't too great (between stages), make the cache a 5 stage multi.

Edited by Kit Fox