Golf Balls

Cal78

I don't think I have seen golf balls in more than a dozen of the caches I have ever found. Certainly not enough to cause any silly angst over it B) . Oddly I did find one a few weeks ago while we were plotting the stages for the most recent 1K Challenge Celebration Hunt. What made this odd is that we were in a county park/nature preserve and the nearest golf course is several miles away. B) It was in a low marshy area, so some floodwater could have brought it there. I picked it up, planning to leave it as a joke in the final stage ammo can, but forgot. Now it's in my swag bag, just waiting to be traded. (fairly of course. :ph34r: )

Seriously, if you don't like Golf Balls, skip over them and SHUT UP ABOUT IT.

Tell me, you don't like golf so you don't take golf balls and you piss and moan about them. Do you also piss and moan about toys since you're obviously too crochety to do any fun activity?

:ph34r:

As angst filled forum posts go, this guy's was kinda mild, don't you think? Telling him to shut up seems a little strong? Sure, as things to worry about goes, I'd have to agree that golf balls are not the biggest challenge facing the game - probably not even a pebble in the road, really.

New golf balls, or ones in good shape, seem like perfectly OK items to leave in caches at least to me. (Actually, new golf balls can be a very nice trade item - they have real value and some people truly appreciate them - maybe more than the original poster had considered - there are whole store's dedicated to that, I think. B) ) Range-balls, worn out or badly stained balls really don't have any kind of value, and might border on being litter. (Although a kid might like them unless they are so trashed they don't bounce or roll anymore - it's still a better item than used movie tickets or a coupon that was expired when you left it.) A used golf ball in good shape is worth 0.25 or so, new ones more. Folks might ought to keep that in mind if they trade one for a something worth a couple of dollars, but other than that, I can't see much of a problem.

Compared to some items that have been left in my caches, golf balls are pretty swell, really. And the golf ball graveyard cache I found was absolutely hilarious.

Actually, I think I'm going to go buy some new golf balls to place in my caches. I'd kind of forgotten about them. Thanks!

We love to find golf balls in caches, near caches and anywere around caches. Not cause we play golf but because we turn them into cache containers. It has taken off so well and is really difficult to find if you place them near a golfing area. My wife has even started to sell them on e-bay. We have had people actually pick it up thinking its a golf ball (to put in a cache) that is lost. Not until further inspection do they realize it is a cache container. Check the logs for Momma Dog's Cache. Momma Dog's Cache :laughing:

2005-02_(Feb)IM000300.JPG

I can't remember the last time I saw a golf ball in a cache.

But I can say this - I think that when we started this sport 3 years ago, it was about the only thing that kept the kids going to caches. :laughing: They have quite a healthy collection. We went to a cache that was on a golf course. You should have seen how many golf balls we found on the way to and back. Not sure what they're gonna do with all of them, but they're happy. :rolleyes:

We love to find golf balls in caches, near caches and anywere around caches. Not cause we play golf but because we turn them into cache containers.

I like golf balls. I like them a lot.

Below is my own golf ball cache container creation.

golfball29qg.jpg

golfball10fa.jpg

I never deployed it (reason would be considered off topic here).

Edited by BCR
I found an almost-pristine golfball on the way to one of my first caches. I thought someone might find it useful so I put it in the cache along with whatever else I had planned to put in. Then I read a forum post much like this one where someone was howling over how bad it is to find golf balls in caches and I felt kind of stupid. Two log entries to that cache later, someone posted how happy their wife was to find the golf ball and that she took it.

Hmmmm....go figure...

Golf balls are like anything else in geocaching….there are cool and creative ones (I like the “Borg Ball”) and there are lame ones. I guess we just have to put up with them, but when my caches starting getting filled up with junk, golf balls are the first things to get cleaned out.

Golf balls in geocaches are great: I pick up golf ball while geocaching = give to golfing girlfriend = she loves me more = lets me go goecaching more = GOOD!

It is sad though when geocachers on golf courses put golf balls in geocaches, but the worst would be golf T's! :lol:

The other interesting thing you can do with golf balls is drop two down the legs of your trowsers and run away screaming. :rolleyes: Cheap thrill, I know.

Edited by AE_Rodney

When I was in grade school, my brother and I would collect golf balls. For us it was easy - we lived down hill from a golf course and balls would eventually make there way into the vacant lot up the street and sometimes in the gutters of the streets. One summer we took a hack saw to one and all the sudden we had an instant supply of rubber band grenades!

As far as what I think of these items in caches? I like them better than business/geocache cards in caches.

This year I will be organizing my family's third annual golf outing. For the last two, I've purchased balls imprinted with the date, location and our family name. This year, I'll do the same. Inevitably, I end up with an extra sleeve or two and am considering them as SWAG. At the very least, I could keep my dad's geocache stocked with them for a while. I did a search for "golf ball" to see what people thought of this idea. I had read that some folks didn't like them. That's when I stumbled onto this thread. It seems like those who dislike GBs have strong feelings against them, but everyone else is fairly indifferent.

Kenny