Golf Balls

Cal78

I like golf balls... lets face it, I'm a poor golfer, so when I come up to a spot where I feel sure to lose a ball I take one out of my bag that isn't so nice... then I don't feel bad about losing it. Its not like a couple of scratches are going to affect my range much... especially when I kick it back into the fairway <_<

I found an almost-pristine golfball on the way to one of my first caches. I thought someone might find it useful so I put it in the cache along with whatever else I had planned to put in. Then I read a forum post much like this one where someone was howling over how bad it is to find golf balls in caches and I felt kind of stupid. Two log entries to that cache later, someone posted how happy their wife was to find the golf ball and that she took it.

Hmmmm....go figure...

only 1 golfball ever found here and that was a sig item done by trippy1976. painted to look like a borg. very cool.

Yeah... I have one also. what a great idea. He can get sig items for free!

I wish I had thought of it....

If you want to leave golf balls at least leave a nice Titleist so I can use it!

I hate it when cachers find golf balls near and cache and decide, "Hey, why trade one of my good items when I could put in this dirty, scratched, piece of crap golf ball instead and get this really awesome Washington State geocoin."

I confess that I once came upon a golf ball while searching for a cache. I pondered for awhile and a smile spread widely over my face.

I didn't use it to trade for anything, but the thought of me surreptitiously placing the often despised item into a cache was more than I could resist.

I left that cache feeling a mixture of delight and guilt that was much like sneaking into my parent's closet to find my Christmas presents while they were away.

Our 2 year old son once found about 40 golf balls while My wife and I spent 45 minutes going through a patch of trees and bushes no more than 100 foot in diameter looking for the cache box. When we found the cache, it had at least 20 more!! Was about 200 feet away from a golf course. My son was thrilled! Everytime I turned around he was saying "daddy nother one". Made me sick of golf balls.

only 1 golfball ever found here and that was a sig item done by trippy1976.  painted to look like a borg.  very cool.

Well, the signature item idea is cool, I haven't seen one yet here in Washington.

I h8 golf balls in caches too. I began trading them out whenever I saw them. After I had about 90 saved up I began to wonder what to do with them. My signature item was born. Click the assimilation link in my sig to see a borg pod.

Edit:

This picture from my gallery shows the golf ball the broke the camel's back:

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/745283_200.jpg

That was the genesis of my true disgust for them :D

Edited by trippy1976

My personal feeling is that as long as I don't take anything for them, I have no problem leaving them in a cache. Someone might find them useful, and its a darn site better than them being randomly scattered all over the place. I don't golf, and have no idea what makes a good ball, so I really can't judge well enough to decide if they need to be thrown out or not.

My little brother *loves* to find golf balls in caches. (he doesn't golf either).

Just my two cents.

we seem to find golf balls at every cache we go to not in the cache but all over the ground on the way there. we just pick them up and put them in our bag. we not see who can find the most my daughter usually can find at least three. it inspired us to make one int a micro cache, because people tend to not even notice them anymore talk about cammo! HA HA! :huh:

I really didn't have much of an opinion on golf balls, just another item in the cache that I wasn't interested in. Then, awhile back, in one of the many threads about the dislike of golf balls, someone (sorry, I can't remember who) had a different take on them. Although I'll probably screw this story up royally, it went something along the lines of this:

A small child, geocaching with dad, opens a cache. Inside is a funny looking white ball with little dimples all over it. It feels hard and kinda heavy, and the kid decides that the ball is what he wants out of the cache. So in his pocket it goes. At home, he has fun bouncing it on his driveway. It makes a kind of funny "thonk" sound, and actually bounces pretty good. He plays with it all week, and by the following weekend, it's pretty dirty and scuffed up, with alot of the dimples full of dried dirt/mud. But he's had alot of fun with it nevertheless, and it finds it's way into his pocket on the next geocaching trip with dad. That weekend, they find another cache, and inside, the kid spots another "treasure". But he knows he must trade something for it. Decisions, decisions. He pulls the golf ball out of his pocket and looks at it awhile, then again at the "new" treasure. He's had alot of fun with his "funny little ball", but that new treasure looks pretty cool, too. Finally, he makes a tough (for him) decision, and puts the ball into the cache as a trade for his new "treasure".

For some reason, ever since I heard that story, it's given me a new perspective on golf balls, especially old used ones. I can't help but wonder where it's been, what it's seen, how the scratches got there, where exactly the dirt/mud in it's dimples came from, who used it and where?

And let's be realistic; what does it hurt for it to be in the cache? They don't take up much room, and who knows who may come along and have their eyes light up over that funny little white dimpled ball? :huh:

Edited by 4x4van

I don't think I've ever found a golf ball in a geocache, but I don't golf so I would likely not have noticed.

If I traded for one, I'd decorate it before putting it into the next cache. Maybe paint it pink or something.

I think children probably get more joy our of golf balls than adults.

If you have a large supply of golf balls here is something for you to try. First find a large open area. A empty parking lot will work. Place a golf ball on the ground. Pour gas on the golf ball. Set golf ball on fire then get back a good distance. When the outer coating of the ball burns away the inside of the golf ball should be released in an explosion. I have never tried this myself, but I hear it is great fun. It is also somewhat dangerous.

If you have a large supply of golf balls here is something for you to try. First find a large open area. A empty parking lot will work. Place a golf ball on the ground. Pour gas on the golf ball. Set golf ball on fire then get back a good distance. When the outer coating of the ball burns away the inside of the golf ball should be released in an explosion. I have never tried this myself, but I hear it is great fun. It is also somewhat dangerous.

:lol::huh::huh:

:lol:;)

I'm so sick of Golf Balls that if i find another one i might scream, or i might just make a cache of nothing but golfballs.

You'd really hate this one then - first golf ball cache I know of:

Golfball Graveyard

The second stage was actually a golf ball with the coords written on them, nailed to the top of a fence post. The guy who placed it finds an enormous number of golf balls. I've seen him recover dozens while we're out caching.

take it back in Vermont is the place for all your used golf balls. Here is part of the cache descripton:

"since this is a relatively exposed cache in what may be a sketchy location, please do not leave anything valuable in the cache. bring only golf balls (preferably used) and hockey schedules."

Not so sure about the hockey schedules. :huh:

I like to peel my golf balls! When I was putting up a sign at a house across from a course, I found a bunch in various stages of decay, revealing to me the different kinds of insides, which I thought was cool. The newer ones have a solid core that looks like a pingpong ball but is solid and bounces, They come in many different colors. The older ones I've found have a center core of black rubber about the same as a superball, covered in a rubber string, that can be fun to unwind. When I work near a course, and I feel like taking a break, I'll wander around looking for more. I have about 70 in a drawer of my desk. I never thought of carving them though, maybe I'll give it a try. They might work to make the round letterboxing stamps I want to carve!!

Would he have to be a Patriots fan? B)

Better that a Pittsburg fan!! B)B)B)

So the Cleveland fan spells 3/5 of his words CORRECTLY. That is really good considering B)

Hey, now.. B)

What makes you think he's a Cleveland fan? B)

We don't want his type in our city. B)

B):ph34r::D

Seriously, if you don't like Golf Balls, skip over them and SHUT UP ABOUT IT.

Tell me, you don't like golf so you don't take golf balls and you piss and moan about them. Do you also piss and moan about toys since you're obviously too crochety to do any fun activity?

On the rare occation that I managed to get my mother out to a cache site that wasn't a light pole micro in a parking lot we were already planning to visit, guess what... She took a golf ball.

So if you don't like em, skip em, because some people obviously do like them.