Become A Cache Caretaker/caregiver

cachecare

This thread started out with a proposal and some honest questions on clarifying the concept so everyone could better understand.

Since then I've learned a lot. Not the least of which is that this thread is beyond recovery, and the original purpose was never re-visited in a way that would help anyone understand the merit of the idea.

There is perhaps more to be learned here but only by lurking.

No, this thread started out as a TROLL, and people insisted on feeding it......frankly, I think the thread has IMPROVED with recent posts....

Agreed, if you saw some of the cache logs/notes/SBAs posted by cachecare/eaglexplore (since they are one and the same), and read some of his posts at the MnGCA's forum, you would see this guy has no redeeming value. Funny thing, people thing the internet is anon. It's not. If he were in my neck of the woods, the local cachers would already be knocking on his front door to discuss his ideas in person. I think this guy is getting in over his head.

Sorry for feeding the troll, but this log--

January 30 by cachecare (0 found)

You are not helping your cause. I have also checked this birdhouse concealment container as have two others.

Sui generis..."The birdhouses I have seen are designed in such a way that they are really unuseable by birds. False backs...These are not really bird houses so much as cache containers designed to look like bird houses."

This is a REAL bird house. Because geocache.com has decide to delete our growing team's efforts to restore integrity to the best interest of this great sport we will no longer notify geocache.com or MnGCA of questionable caches that need to be archived and removed.

We (now at four) were more than willing to have an open forum, but geocache.com and MnGCA are more interested in looking out for their own best interests by placing the integrity of the gamepiece ahead of the integrity of the gameplace and safety of others.

Because MnGCA.org and Geocache.com is unwilling to work with us we will take necessary measures as Caregivers and Caretakers to maintain geocaching as a safe and sensible sport using good judgement. If this birdhouse cache concealment is still in place by April one of our team members will see that it is removed. We were more than willing to work with you, but you are uncooperative.

[view this log on a separate page]

was on this cache--Bad old Putty Cat--I'm an enviromentalist myself, a member of the Sierra Club, and I was a Biology major in college with plenty of coursework in plant physiology, and after visiting the cache in question myself yesterday, I don't see anything wrong with it. I would consider anyone like cachecare/eagleXplorer taking it based on their own misguided principles to be theft.

I think we understand what the situation is, I think we've all said our points.

I think 99% of us agree on most of the stuff, 1% of us do not understand the situation, and we've made that clear.

At this point I'd suggest we close it up and move on. I agree with mtn-man's idea to not close the thread, but I don't think it went in the direction of his intentions. My suggestion is to lock it up and move on.

Cheers,

-Aaron

I still won't lock it.

My best suggestion is to just not post in this topic anymore. There are going to be extremist out there, but history shows that these extremist lack any form of commitment. They get bored with lack of attention. Let's not give this extremist the attention they desire so much.

Resist the urge... let the topic fall down the page.

Post in a topic that has some redeeming value instead.

(EDIT/NOTE: This post from this morning was posted by eaglexplorer as a new topic but was sent to the moderation queue. Due to my electricity being out all of last night and into this afternoon [stupid ice storm] I was not able to let this post go to the boards. I have approved the post and merged it into this topic since that is where it belonged.)

Edited by mtn-man
Confiscating caches that are regarded as "litter" is another thing entirely. They are still the owner's property. There is a process involved for getting a cache rescued, adopted or archived. The first step is contacting the owner and being sure that the cache is abandoned.

There are a few statements in the original post and in the anonymous poster's profile page which make me cautious the more that I read them. If you're just helping out, why the need to be anonymous? When I repair or replace a cache, I say so in a log on the cache page and I always get a thank-you from the owner, if they are still active. Good karma.

I quote Lep because he makes such a good point. Having seen some previous writings from the OP, I tend to see this as another effort to "play geocaching god," establishing control by setting up the office of quality control. Indeed, I do understand and have seen that not everyone always does a good job, but I will not support your agenda.

As stated in a private email to your account yesterday: If the car you drive is not energy efficient enough, does someone have the right to remove it from the road and trash it? How about your house? If your tools are made in Taiwan can someone destroy them in the interest of American products? If the city forces a property owner to mow his yard, it is done by due legal process, not by a vigilante. So I suggest that you should reconsider, not the high values you have for caches, but the questionable values you have for personal conduct. Indeed, sometimes wheels grind slowly, but that's no excuse.

Whatever happened to the oak birdhouse that was the subject of this rant? Hmmmm, you have to wonder, don't you?

no. i do wonder why you had to bump this thread. :D

Sock puppets tend to do that. I'll help them by closing this one for good.