Become A Cache Caretaker/caregiver

cachecare

Or in the words of Eugene McCarthy, I'm Sorry I was Right. www.thecie.org/gene

No, you are not. You keep blaming MnGCA, even though everyone keeps TRYING to explain that that group has no say in the matter. It could disolve next week and nothing would change. Nothing.

You think MnGCA has more clout when according to eaglexplore the vice president approves of attaching a bird house to a perfectly good tree in a city park? Oh, I forgot the integrity of the gamepiece is more important than the integrity of the gameplace.

You think MnGCA has more clout when according to eaglexplore the v.p. of MnGCA approves of placing his first stage micro cache nine feet off the ground. Oh, I forgot the integrity of the gamepiece is more important than the safety of others.

Do you think the clout of MnGCA will help when according to eaglexplore the vice president of MnGCA looks the other way at a bird house that is secured to a perfectly good tree in a city park? Oh, I forgot the integrity of the gamepiece is more important than the integrity of the gameplace.

Do you think the clout of MnGCA will help when according to eaglexplore the vp of MnGCA hides his first stage micro cache nine feet off the ground? Oh, I forgot the integrity of the gamepiece is more important than the safety of others.

You think MnGCA has more clout when according to eaglexplore the vice president approves of attaching a bird house to a perfectly good tree in a city park? Oh, I forgot the integrity of the gamepiece is more important than the integrity of the gameplace.

You think MnGCA has more clout when according to eaglexplore the v.p. of MnGCA approves of placing his first stage micro cache nine feet off the ground. Oh, I forgot the integrity of the gamepiece is more important than the safety of others.

What's wrong with putting a birdhouse in a tree? <_<

I always thought it would be fun to play the numbers and make people notice my 3000th post by posting a flame. Too bad I am bad at flaming! Not to mention that I am bad at hiding motivations. <_<

Oh well here is my attempt: Isn't a Hell's Angel mentality what is being asked for by forcing an extreme minority view on others through threats? Well, OK, I am not sure there are threats because the OP refuses to actually explain what a caretaker and caregiver is, but I see the implied threat of removing or altering caches that he or she does not like. The fact that no details are given leads me to assume that he or she has bad intentions. And how is it constructive to unilaterally decide to declare to all that a cache is bad and jump in and dictate/play "wannabe hall monitor" (thanks to Planet for that great line!)?

In the end though I am tired of this. I see the OP posting extreme views and trying to push them on people in a non-constructive way. Sometimes angst is warranted when it is minority angst, but this one is just plain silly. And yes, I will get negative (hopefully within the forum posting guidelines): It is a stupid idea! This is one of those rare instances where a geocide might be welcomed.

Hmmm, I think that was a pretty cruddy flame, but hey! I tried! :ph34r:

Uhmmm seriously, the OP should look for ways to be constructive, or at least explain the details so they can be understood.

P.S. It is all about the numbers! Long live lame micros and lame virts! OK.....take that with a grain of salt..... :lol:

Edit: Uhmm Cachecare: Aren't you also Eaglexplore? That seems fairly obvious.

Edited by carleenp
Do you think the clout of MnGCA will help when according to eaglexplore the vp of MnGCA hides his first stage micro cache nine feet off the ground? Oh, I forgot the integrity of the gamepiece is more important than the safety of others.

What's wrong with putting a cache 9 feet off the ground? Do we have to ban Rock-Climbing caches too? <_<

This cache is up a bit higher than 9 feet:

0a75ce48-1547-4b3f-9399-975e7a273582.jpg

I doubt if much is gained by turning this into a match to see who can SHOUT the loudest.

What I do appreciate is that members can voice their views at www.geocaching.com without being locked out. If the Vice President, Mr. [name deleted] (Silent Bob) of MnGCA ~ www.mngca.org ~ wasn't so quick to repeatedly lock me out of its discussion forum I doubt if I would even be posting on this message board. Now they would have us believe that they would prefer that I post my concerns back on their own discussion forum.

<_< Ya Right!

Edited by mtn-man
I doubt if much is gained by turning this into a match to see who can SHOUT the loudest.

What I do appreciate is that members can voice their views at www.geocaching.com without being locked out.  If the Vice President, xxxxxx(Silent Bob) of MnGCA ~ www.mngca.org ~ wasn't so quick to repeatedly lock me out of its discussion forum I doubt if I would even be posting on this message board.  Now they would have us believe that they would prefer that I post my concerns back on their own discussion forum.

<_<  Ya Right!

Snagged! Say bye-bye....

Edited by Mopar

Do you really believe it is more important to protect the integrity of the gamepieces than it is to protect the integrity of the gameplaces? With that kind of an attitude it's only a matter of time until geocachers find themself up a creek without a paddle.

Isn't that akin to a centrist ~ Me, Myself and I tunnel viewpoint in which its really a train coming down the tunnel instead of the light at the end of the tunnel?

With that kind of an attitude it's only a matter of time until geocachers find themself up a creek without a paddle.

Dude, only one up the creek without a paddle is you. Here's a good suggestion. Turn off the computer. Get up. Never come back. You'll be happier that way.

Do you really believe it is more important to protect the integrity of the gamepieces than it is to protect the integrity of the gameplaces? With that kind of an attitude it's only a matter of time until geocachers find themself up a creek without a paddle.

Isn't that akin to a centrist ~ Me, Myself and I tunnel viewpoint in which its really a train coming down the tunnel instead of the light at the end of the tunnel?

Since you keep repeating that same comment, word for word, I can only assume you have run out of ammunition <_<

Once again, a reminder:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=boardrules

Some things to keep in mind when posting:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

Sock Puppet accounts will not be allowed. A sock puppet is an account made on an internet message board by a person who already has an account for the purpose of posting anonymously. Use your own account for posting personal opinions. Posts from known sock puppet accounts will be deleted and both the puppet and actual account may be banned from using the services of Groundspeak.

About our Moderators: Forum Moderators are community volunteers that give up their time to help build a better community. They will assist with focusing topics and enforcing guidelines. They have the ability to edit/delete posts, to move, close or delete topics, and to temporarily moderate users’ posts. Our moderators are equipped with Kevlar flak jackets and an unlimited supply of admin bricks. Do not attempt to engage them in direct combat.

Disclaimer: Any messages you post will stay available to the public for as long as this discussion board is online. Please post carefully, once you have posted your message it is here to stay. We will not edit the content you wrote unless it does not conform to these guidelines. If we edit a post and you do not like the changes, we will delete the message at your request.

Complaints: If you have an issue with a specific post/topic on this board, please use the ‘report a post’ link in the lower right hand corner of the post. We will review the post and edit/delete if necessary. Any comments on the personnel of Groundspeak or one of the volunteers, please send an e-mail message to contact@Groundspeak.com.

Additional Terms: The Groundspeak Forums are further governed by the GEOCACHING.COM SITE TERMS OF USE AGREEMENT, the terms of which are hereby incorporated into these guidelines by reference. The Terms of Use Agreement may be found here: http://www.geocaching.com/about/termsofuse.aspx

It occurs to me that best way to have fun caching would be to place your own excellent caches rather than worring about others that don't live up to your superior standards. You can read the logs to see what people have to say about the cache. In the listings of some of my caches I mention other nearby caches that are worth visiting. No need for cache police and a nice built in rating system. (Hey, I really like it when I get good reviews on the logs for my caches, I'm just passing the favor along.)

And what about King Boreas and his monopoly on cache placement (632 cache records). He refers to himself as a "maniacal genius" and "King of cache density" for the greater Twin Cities metro area of St. Paul and Minneapolis. I wonder if some of MnGCAs board members and premium members are still just big kids in a man's body.

Let's see ... first we had the unknown multi-cache stealer (over 50 of mine in six weeks), then we had The Cleaner, who didn't like the contents of caches, and then we had the Cache Terrorists, who thought it was fun to leave an empty container and a calling card.

re: monopoly on cache placement

If the concerned (no civil name) had bothered to read the forum, he/she would have found a discussion reply by mtn-man, our approver, concerning this very item. SURPRISE ! It's not an issue.

re: "King of cache density"

If the concerned (no civil name) had bothered to read the forum, he/she would have found a discussion reply by mtn-man, our approver, concerning this very item. It was a comment by mtn-man, which I adopted, and he responded with

mtn-man... Keeping an eye on the King!

SURPRISE ! It's not an issue.

I wonder if some of MnGCAs board members and premium members are still just big kids in a man's body
That's a bad thing ?

OK, I'm back to the snow. There's $10,000 out there waiting for me.

RichardMoore said:

You say that "The person has a unique viewpoint hitherto unrepresented in this plane of reality."

With your kind permission, sir, I would like to borrow that for use in future discussions, especially with some of my relatives.

Oh, and to stay on topic: I wonder what the real issue is behind this. Is there political infighting in the geocaching organization there?

RichardMoore said:

Oh, and to stay on topic:  I wonder what the real issue is behind this. Is there political infighting in the geocaching organization there?

None at all.

I think I can speak on behalf of the entire board when I say that. (JT, Buzzygirl, Kitch, Marsha and Silent Bob and myself.)

-Aaron

Oh, and to stay on topic: I wonder what the real issue is behind this. Is there political infighting in the geocaching organization there?

No, from my experience, it’s been a fairly tight-knit organization. Mostly a fun bunch. Until one individual came into the forums with some very high ideals.

With your kind permission, sir, I would like to borrow that for use in future discussions, especially with some of my relatives.

ditto that, except the part about the relatives. :o

Edited by dachebo

Carleenp wrote:

Many would disagree that a bird house nailed to a tree does harm. Others would agree it does. There is no clear correct answer at times and concerns are likley best addressed by politely writing to the cache owner.

Team GPSaxophone

The cache itself does not damage the environment in any way. It's an inanimate object! How could it do any damage?

What's wrong with putting a birdhouse in a tree?

A bird house may/will attract birds to nest in it.. Our native birds, their nests and feathers are protected by federal law. If geocachers start messing in occupied bird houses then I think that is a problem.

2tango

RichardMoore said:

Oh, and to stay on topic:  I wonder what the real issue is behind this. Is there political infighting in the geocaching organization there?

None at all.

I think I can speak on behalf of the entire board when I say that. (JT, Buzzygirl, Kitch, Marsha and Silent Bob and myself.)

-Aaron

I didn't say that. :o

A bird house may/will attract birds to nest in it..

The birdhouse caches I have seen are designed in such a way that they are really unuseable by birds. False backs, etc. severly reducing the internal room of the cache accessable by a bird. These are not really bird houses, so much as cache containers designed to LOOK like bird houses.

E = MC2, your point is very much valid and the advice should be heeded.

King Boreas, you have great respect within your community, which is something that the extremist should learn from. You do maintain your caches and if I express concerns to you via email they are always promptly taken care of. People that read the MnGCA forums know why our signature lines are what they are and take them for the comical nature for which they were created. The little shifty eyed emoticon in the black coat should also be a giveaway. Keep doing what you are doing and until a large group of MnGCA people complain I would not worry. You have my greatest respect.

The MnGCA board is a great bunch of folks. You also do a great job and have my respect as well. I am sure you will weather the storm from this extremist.

A bird house may/will attract birds to nest in it..

The birdhouse caches I have seen are designed in such a way that they are really unuseable by birds. False backs, etc. severly reducing the internal room of the cache accessable by a bird. These are not really bird houses, so much as cache containers designed to LOOK like bird houses.

Exactly what i was thinking. Thank you.

I asked the question about the political infighting., not RichardMoore.

It was just a curiosity question, as I have seen many other groups have political problems and have them erupt without the "board" or "officers" even realizing it until it is a full blown problem with mass defections or power plays or whatever. It's one of the reasons I don't care all that much for hobby related groups....sooner or later egos and/or politics get in the way of the fun, no matter how much the people involved say that it doesn't or it won't.

Edited by BigHank

I'd like to make a couple of other points here.

1. The MnGCA is not a state organization. It does not represent all of the cachers in the state. Nor does it attempt to represent itself as such. There is no requirement for any individual to join either.

2. On the other hand those of us that do say we are part of MnGCA generally accept the decisions of the board that was elected by the members.

3. The members of the board are know to us not only by our Geocaching name but by their real names as well. Does it really supprise anyone that they don't want their full names posted on the internet.

4. The board does not nor has never attempted to govern any of it's members or any other cacher in the state.

5. The Minnesota Geocaching Association (MnGCA) was formed to provide a resource for area geocachers and to organize activities and events that will improve the credibility of the sport within the state and protect our natural resources. MnGCA members will provide education to new members if asked. They will provide opinions which may be as diverse as the culture because that is exactly how we are "diverse".

6. There are no membership dues, cards, letters or anythiing else that says you are a member. Litterly, all you have to do is say you are a member. Generally, those that participate either actively or pasively on the website and forums are considered members (in my opinion). Obviously, if we were selective about how and who then we wouldn't even have gone down this road of discussion.

7. The Minnesota Geocaching Association (MnGCA) is a group of Minnesota geocachers who are committed to promoting safe, responsible, and environmentally friendly geocaching. We welcome the involvement and cooperation of park management and government to work with us to develop this activity to benefit both geocachers and parks. The MnGCA also provides a way for people to come together to organize regional activities and events that will promote the credibility of the sport and bring families together in nature and technology. This does not mean that we will not place caches in challenging locations. Heck you could be walking in the woods on a 1/1 cache, have a heart attack and I would assume that the stress of walking in the woods would be considered a safety issue.

8. Yes there is a web page that provides guidance on caching in Minnesota parks. However, this is a resource page and the information posted is not the rules of MnGCA but rather those of the various park systems around the state and are provided as a resource to cachers.

Bottomline is that this individual has riled up as many cachers here as he has on the MnGCA web site. And seems to be just as welcome here as he is on the MnGCA site. He appears to be more into instigating then to either understanding or caring. He attacks members of the board without even knowing who they really are or how well they may be respected by the community. They are board members for a reason. They didn't just say we are the board. They were elected.

Oh and one last point. Silent Bob's position as the VP of the Board has nothing to do with him being an admin on the web site. The two have nothing to do with each other. EagleXplorer's thread was locked becasue as an admin SB didn't want the thread to deteriorate into a flaming contest by the members at large. He did the right thing.

My, My, My, My, My!  What have I gone and done.

WOW

You would think, someone with so many issues about geocaching, one would just pull out their GPS batteries, and disconnect their computer.

End of Problems!

Gosh, do you think Markwell is more likely to be a former member of Hells Angels or the Sierra Club?

Since you can't Markwell the " Markwell Master" ;) , we'll just have to "Mopar" him! :o

The “UnMasked” Cache Cop :o

Yes, the MnGCA would have more clout than one individual to work with state land managers to come to agreements on guidelines for those lands, and Groundspeak would get a copy of any guidelines.

And Cachecare/EaglExplorer, your dual personality slip is showing.

What makes you think that cachers DON'T care about the gameplace AND the gamepiece, or as I prefer to call them, the planet and the cache.

We do care, a lot. Do you need proof? Have you heard of CITO?

Shall I paint you a picture?

686058_2000.JPG

37783_800.jpg

686058_1300.JPG

1cc12166-67ff-47b7-9f70-e8abec71c1ae.jpg

34f48eb1-c76c-4b90-85ba-0c1c6ff576b9.jpg

0f1ce1a4-ae47-479d-a012-92a3a9e92dfd.jpg

are you getting it yet?

7b1fdeb9-0a2f-48ff-af8a-41e7f0349046.jpg

34.jpg

Proof enough for ya?

Apologies to anyone who's pictures I used to prove my point.

If 9 feet off the ground is too high, don't climb it!!!! Go home. Lock the door. Turn on the TV. Don't go outside, and live in a ranch, cuz those second story windows can be dangerous if you lean too far out!

That's me in the last CITO picture that Planet posted. Hauling those old tires up the side of the steep ravine was way more dangerous than climbing a 9-foot tree! That was one of the steepest slopes I've ever navigated while geocaching. Perhaps we should outlaw people from throwing away trash in dangerous locations.

I think outlawing that has been done. Perhaps we should outlaw people cleaning it up because it is dangerous? :o;)

Well, I'm not in the pic, but a hundred pounds of trash I hauled 1/2 mile out from the back-side of a lake are piled around that dumpster in the one pic. Most of it from fishermen. Seems to me the fishermen are much more hazardous to our environment then geocaches. Perhaps we can get MnGCA to ban fishing?

This thread started out with a proposal and some honest questions on clarifying the concept so everyone could better understand.

Since then I've learned a lot. Not the least of which is that this thread is beyond recovery, and the original purpose was never re-visited in a way that would help anyone understand the merit of the idea.

There is perhaps more to be learned here but only by lurking.

Sui Generis reply regarding the "Bad Old Putty Cat" cache in a city park in Maple Grove, Minnesota. NOTE:(If MnGCA didn't continually lock threads to constructive criticism I wouldn't have to post at this forum).

On another thread Sui replies, "The birdhouses I have seen are designed in such a way that they are really unuseable by birds. False backs, [etc] .... These are not really bird houses, so much as cache containers designed to LOOK like bird houses."

How many of these cache container bird houses have you seen? The one I refer to is made of oak, has a back and could be used by a wren or other small bird if not for the cach contents and geocachers in search of another find. I would encourage you to CHECK~OUT this particular bird house cache for yourself.

If geocache.com decides NOT to archive this cache then I guess its open season on NOT real birdhouses. A NOT real Wood Duck house with NO back would hold more treasure. What kind of metal fastner would you seasoned geocachers recommend for attaching a bigger sized "not really bird house" to a healthy tree in a city park in Minnesota that is environmentally friendly for Wood Ducks?

I would encourage Silent Bob (VP of MnGCA) to take a closer look at "The Bad Old Putty Cat" as it does have its own back and to my eye looks about as real as real can be. In fact I've seen some bird houses in much poorer condition being occupied by a family of little birds. Afterall doesn't the bark of the tree serve as the back of a no backless bird house cache concealment container? What about making a NOT real bird nest out of sticks and using it as a cache container? The sticks could be hot glued together and hinged so as to conceal a small micro cache. Does anyone have an objection to me making a really neat looking bird nest that is cleverly designed that hides a microcache. At what point is the integrity of the gamepiece more important than the integrity of the gameplace?

Perhaps Silent Bob (VP) and S4Xton (board member) were in too much of a hurry on January 23rd to closely notice that this was a REAL bird house. If this real bird house meets with the approval of Silent Bob and S4Xton then where do we draw the line on using quasi-bird houses as a cache container. IMO a fake bird's nest or one that is no longer used would make a really neat cache concealment to hide a micro cache under the nest.

For members of MnGCA to ridicule me or lock me out of a MnGCA thread only eXposes their own lack of geocaching sensitivity to the environment and the integrity of certain MnGCA geocachers to the best interests of this great sport.