Suspended Cache

I've got an idea for a suspended (and camouflaged) ammo-box cache. But I don't want to hurt the tree(s), and I don't want a maintenance nightmare. Any advice?

I was basically thinking some kind of thin but high-quality rope, strung from the cache across to another tree, and then down. The finder would have to lower the cache to get to it, and then raise it back into place when done.

I would probably rig up some sort of spool to wind the rope onto when it was in place. And I guess the spool could be on a dead branch or something...

I doubt that would hurt the tree, so go for it! Here, there is a cache on an old phone pole near a bike path that is rigged w/ a flag pole pully. So the the cache is obvious, if you look up! But many search for some time because they are looking down! I think that if you don't go drilling holes in trees etc, that there is little room for complaint and it could be a really cool cache. The one here needed to include drilled holes etc., but since it was in an abandoned pole no longer in use, it was no problem for anyone. Generally people here think it is one of the best caches around.

How about this?

A loop of airplane cable (3 mm) around the branch loosely (so you won't limit its growth) and a piece of rubber hose around the cable part way (like arborists use to tie up a sappling). Then from the loop, hang a rubber bungee or a pair of regular bungees that would be able to hold the cache in the air, but be able to be stretched to allow the cache to be pulled to the ground.

You can get braided cable and the metal clamps that close them into loops at most hardware stores, the tubing could be a piece of old hose, and you could be in business.

I like bigredmed's suggestion or any variant of it, because no harm is done to the tree. I once found a cache that used a pulley system that was screwed directly into the tree trunk, 20 feet off the road in an *arboretum.* Geocaching would get a black eye if the park ever stumbled across that cache!

Also if you use climbing rope/parachute cord, it is low friction and you can throw it right over a branch without an elaborate pulley system. If the cache is in a remote area (rather a given for something with an elaborate setup), it will only be visited once or twice a month. Not that I have a hide like that, but if I did, and I checked it a few times each year, I would expect to find no noticeable damage to the tree from 20 or so pulls on the rope.

Don't use a tree with thin bark, use something with a tough skin.

Here's a link to a site about climbing trees. They use a technique of throwing a rope over a limb and hauling themselves up. There is some good advice there about how to prevent harm to a tree.

If they can haul up a person with these techniques, I'm sure a fully loaded ammo can with do little harm

Hope this helps.

All of the advice given is excellent, but I would suggest finding a camo bag rather than just a piece of the cloth. I may B) have also seen a cache hung from a tree in a mesh bag. The bag can be filled with leaf litter to help blend into the surrounding canopy, and even be adjusted for the seasons. <_<

I used to love to climb trees when I was a kid. I'm often on the lookout for good ones while out caching, but either there were more good climbing tree up north where I grew up, or the perspective is just all screwed up from my adult viewpoint. :blink:

I used to love to climb trees when I was a kid. I'm often on the lookout for good ones while out caching, but either there were more good climbing tree up north where I grew up, or the perspective is just all screwed up from my adult viewpoint. <_<

If you like climbing, come on down. I can recommend a couple of caches for you.

I saw one that used a peice of poly pipe with a glued cap on one end and a threaded cap on the other. It followed the lines of the tree trunk (making it hard to see). They also used a rope over a limb and then run over to a tree about thirty feet away. You had to unhook the rope and then as you approached the main tree, the cache lowered itself to the ground. Great concept, I though.

Surprisingly, an ammo can w/goodies is a LOT of weight to a tree.

Depending on the tree, you might find it grows around your rope in as little as one year!

Pulley = good

Instead of just looping a rope over a limb, spread the weight over two limbs (which won't encircle one branch and leaves room for growth).

I included a counter-weight on mine so folks just "let go" to return it to it's proper spot.

Since then, I've found a couple. Unfortunately, without pulleys they often don't want to descend. Cachers often don't hide the excess rope length adequately either (making the cache obvious to find even when looking down). Neither of these are problems with my counter-weight design.

hth,

Randy

Wally world sells camo Para cord in 50 ft lengths. When my Inbetween cache was active it used 100 fot of cord, the cache was about 25 ft up in a crotch of an oak tree the cord went to another tree and down the trunk and was tied off.

A lot of cachers have a bad habit of not looking up while theyre caching :):):P:):D:D

Climbing Rope and parachute cord is NOT low fiction. I climb in Colorado and there are a number of tree that have deep scars in them from pulling down a rappel line. The rope WILL cut a grove. If your going to use any type of rope use dacron as nylon and poly pro ropes will degrade in sunlight and the weather. Dacron is more weather resistant. I would suggest what ever you do use a pully of some kind.

cheers

I would suggest what ever you do use a pully of some kind.

It doesn't have to even be a true pulley set up.

Here's an idea: You'll need a 3' lenth of 1/2" rope or larger and a cheap $2 carabiner, the big one. Tie the ends together. Put the 'biner on the loop of rope. Throw the rope over a limb and put the free end of the loop in the 'biner, too. Put your cache suspension line in the 'biner. The 'biner will act as the pulley and provide less friction than the wood, you don't have to worry about a pulley rusting, and it's cheap.

Down side: you have to climb the tree to set it.

Here's an idea: You'll need a 3' lenth of 1/2" rope or larger and a cheap $2 carabiner, the big one. Tie the ends together. Put the 'biner on the loop of rope. Throw the rope over a limb and put the free end of the loop in the 'biner, too. Put your cache suspension line in the 'biner. The 'biner will act as the pulley and provide less friction than the wood, you don't have to worry about a pulley rusting, and it's cheap.

This might be better than a pulley setup. There is a chance that the rope can come off track in the pulley when tension is removed from it.

This might be better than a pulley setup. There is a chance that the rope can come off track in the pulley when tension is removed from it.

Sounds good to me too. We have about 20 old S&R carabiners from my brother's days at the fire department. They are heavy as all heck so we don't use them for climbing. Two of them are bust holding my kayak up in the rafters, and we use them all the time with the tow strap and tractor.

Go get a carabiner, rope, and ammo can and you have a nice cache!

Joe Smith

Throw the rope over a limb and put the free end of the loop in the 'biner, too.

That'll also distribute the weight over two ropes rather than just one, minimizing the damage as the limb grows.

Even better would be tossing the loop over two nearby limbs rather than just one (wrapping them each only about 90 degrees rather than most the way around).

Nice,

Randy

here is an idea WITHOUT any type of rope....I have done one like this in Michigan...

the cache container had a wire loop connected to it...a rather large loop...then the the owners hid two straight branches nearby...one had they had written on it "opps not long enough" and the other branch had a shoe string tied to it and a small hook. you had to tie the two branches (which where actually one that had been carefully broke in half) together and then reach up with the hook and unhook the cache that was hanging on a very straight and narrow tree on a little limb. Getting it and putting it back was actually a challenge but it was a fun cache

the container was small but I have an idea to improve on it by using a larger container and 2-3 pieces of 1 inch PVC pipe painted and camoed and one with a hook on the end...you could then glue copulers to the ends of the pipe and then just push the 2-3 pipes together to get up high enough...the pipes would offer more strength to lift the container off its branch.

Edited by Rainwater