Enhancing The Benchmark Section

5Tucks

I would like to see some enhancement to the Benchmark section. These are just a start.

1. The ability to download banchmark in GPX would be the top of my list. With the GPX file including the State for the Benchmark.

2. Pocket Queries of Benchmarks would be good. The we could have the descriptions in out PDAs.

Thanks

Jeff of 5Tucks

How about counting smiley faces for Benchamarks? The kids work just as hard to find them so far as some of the caches.

But, I would take PQ's of Benchmarks.

I'd really like GPX files, too.

As to smileys: What better way to teach your kids that it's not about the numbers?

<ducking>

2. Pocket Queries of Benchmarks would be good.  The we could have the descriptions in out PDAs.

Have you tried fuzzy's BMGPX? It will let you take benchmark datasheets for an entire county and convert them to GPX files.

Are you sure about the link? It wants to send me a zip file, without even asking me which county I want...

2. Pocket Queries of Benchmarks would be good.  The we could have the descriptions in out PDAs.

Have you tried fuzzy's BMGPX? It will let you take benchmark datasheets for an entire county and convert them to GPX files.

Are you sure about the link? It wants to send me a zip file, without even asking me which county I want...

That's just the app. to convert the Datasheets to GPX. You need to download the data sheets first. I get mine from here:

NGS Datasheets

Then drag and drop the downloaded file to the app. and it should create the GPX for you.

Edited by WildGooseChase

Yep. When you unzip it, you will find a readme file telling you how to use it. As WildGooseChase mentioned, you have to get the data from the NGS site. The URL and directions are included in the readme.

country?

The data is organized by county (no "R"). Given that the state of Washington alone has 21143 benchmarks listed in the datasheets, I doubt that you would want to pull down the entire country.

I think that before any enhancements are made the bugs should be corrected.

How about making the links from a log page that should link back the benchmarks page actually link back to the benchmarks page instead of always getting an error page like it does now.

Very Nice! Thanks for the link! Using cachemate I can now have seperate categories for caches and benchmarks! Now there will always be something to search for with my GPS no matter where I am :D

Kar ;)

Thanks for sharing this program with us. Work fairly well and is definately better than the LOC format.

I've been wondering about the possibility of a section where us users can post coords and descriptions for benchmarks we fimd but are not in the system, and then let other users look them up, but maybe in a seperate spot from the existing BM page

Things like county, city, and private BM's

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT