Permissions To Cache

gpsjester

I am new to Geocaching and not wanting to bring any bad press to Geocaching.COM, GAGB or Geocaching in general, I have read through the notes regarding "Getting Permission From Landowners" before siting a cache.

For National Trust sites, straight forward enough... Just contact your local NT Warden. And for similar National Parks, would no doubt go down the same route...

But what about the more obscure locations : river banks, canal tracks, quaysides, urban locations etc.

Do we need to obtain permission for every cache we want to site ?

I would hate to plant a cache, only to find I should of got permission first...

Any Thoughts would be much appreciated

Mick.

The one thing I would suggest is to go out and find caches before you place one.

The other thing is that it may be considered bad form to email cachers directly demanding to know who they got permission from to place a cache.

I know you emailed us a couple of weeks ago, but we did not reply for several reasons:

1) You didn't state which cache you meant

2) We thought it suspicious that you were making these demands when you hadn't found any caches yet. This would suggest that you are either a landowner (unlikely as you wouldn't pretend to be a cacher) or a journalist of some description.

T

Though I don't have any evidence for this I would imagine that the vast majority of caches do not have the landowner's express permission.

Many are on public land but most will be on some form of private property. Just because it is located on or adjacent to a public footpath or bridleway doesn't mean that the land is not privately owned.

Come on then, own up.. how many of your caches have full permission?? (Open question).

I am new to Geocaching and not wanting to bring any bad press to Geocaching.COM, GAGB or Geocaching in general,

Thats an awfully complex or elaborate avatar to have for someone thats not even logged a cache yet .. are you perhaps related to, associated with or attched to a cacher .... even now almost a year into this ... I am still a wonky eyeball :P

I have however jsut set another stonker of a cache ... what this space LMAO :P

Come on then, own up.. how many of your caches have full permission??  (Open question).

Well, this is my big problem. I want to go and ask for permission, however, having 2 caches on their land (which is common land so it's not totally private per se), I'd feel honour bound to remove them if they said no.

For what its worth, I know they have turned down a request on some of their other land and even though this has a different manager, he may well look at what his colleagues have previously decided.

So, do I 'fess up' and take the consequences or ignore it as many (most?) seem to...

If the property allows public access and does not have a rule prohibiting geocaching that's what you need. If in doubt ask.

Of course it's not that simple. Police Stations, Schools, Courhourses are bad ideas even though they allow public access.

You as the cache owner need to be comfortable with where you place your cache because you will be one held responsible.

For what its worth, you could try this thread.  here

I haven't gone through it all but it probably explains the frisbee rule too.

Followed that Thread

Erm does he agree with asking permision or not?

No mention of a frisbee

It did introduce me to the term "pantywaste" and I will endeavour to call some unsuspecting soul that today.

The one thing I would suggest is to go out and find caches before you place one.

The other thing is that it may be considered bad form to email cachers directly demanding to know who they got permission from to place a cache.

I know you emailed us a couple of weeks ago, but we did not reply for several reasons:

1) You didn't state which cache you meant

2) We thought it suspicious that you were making these demands when you hadn't found any caches yet. This would suggest that you are either a landowner (unlikely as you wouldn't pretend to be a cacher) or a journalist of some description.

T

Journalist I reckon.

What a great story they are on to.

CITO anyone?

Do we need to obtain permission for every cache we want to site ?

In effect yes. GC.com list caches on the principle that you have sought the landowners permission.

If you place one and ASSUME permission then that is completley your responsibility. In the UK we have rights of way and now right to roam but there is no right to place a cache anywhere so you should get permission.

Chris

For what its worth, you could try this thread.  here

I haven't gone through it all but it probably explains the frisbee rule too.

Followed that Thread

Erm does he agree with asking permision or not?

No mention of a frisbee

I pointed out the thread in order to show how many different views there are on asking permission, how many pages does it run to?

The frisbee rule goes something like this:

You want to play frisbee with your kids, do you have to ask permission or is permission implied because you are allowed free acces to the land anyway?

You must have permission to place a cache to comply with GC rules.

Blimey, I seem to have created a bit of a stink here.

I must first apologies to anybody who thinks I`m not a true Geocacher and that I might be a landowner, journalist or whatever....

I have only just joined this amazing pastime and am very keen to get cracking, hence the questions.

For the two Geocachers who refused to answer my email for various reasons, I asked you guys as you had the nearest Cache located to my home location. I just didnt want to upset anybody when I come to place my first cache. I apologies if I`ve got your back up, it wasnt intentional.

As for my Avatar.. I knocked that up in about 30 mins, as I am a keen cartoonist and thought it would look quite good. I wear a hat similar to the one in the avatar and my username is GPSJESTER.

I am a computer engineer at BAE Samlesbury and live in Preston Lancs....

AGAIN APOLOGIES IF I`VE UPSET ANYONE, IT WASNT INTENTIONAL. I JUST DONT WANT TO GET ANYTHING WRONG WHEN I FINALLY GET GOING... I HAVENT EVEN BOUGHT A GPS YET...WAITING FOR PAY DAY....

THANKS TO THE PEOPLE WHO DID GIVE ME SOME USEFULL INFO....

MICK. <_<

You don't have to wait to get your first GPS, I know a couple who are now heading for their 1000 cache who did the first 70 without a GPS, I'm sure you'd be able to find a couple before the unit arrives.

Top tip though, I suggest you read the clue and choose one with a good clue, avoid the "hidden amongst the heather" clues when you're out on the moors!

Happy caching!

Top tip though, I suggest you read the clue and choose one with a good clue, avoid the "hidden amongst the heather" clues when you're out on the moors!

HeHe one of my clues for a cache set in 64 acres of woodland is 'It's in the woods'

Although there are individual clues for each part of the multi but I just couldn't resist!

Welcome to caching gpsjester, you're just one step away from insanity, and that was the step you just took!

GPSJester - I do apologise for my remarks and for mistaking your enthusiasm for something more sinister.

I would still advise doing quite a bit of finding before you hide one, although you had better some finds under your belt soon, as we could do with more people hiding them in the area. If you are free tomorrow you are very welcome to attend the event in Blackrod.

T