Geocaching With Kids...

Seay me

We have an 18 month old daughter who we are going to start taking out on more caches and bike rides. We're in the market for a 'backpack' to carry her in adn a bike trailer. I've seen the strollers that convert to backpacks and that looks like somethign we'd definatlely be into.

Does anyone have any recommendations on this type of gear to take her out with. I mean we can go look at the store all day long. I'm just looking for some input from people that may have actually used the stuff in the 'real world'.

If it's comfortable for you, and comfortable for your child, go for it. Comfort and proper fit is what it's all about.

If you can find one that will grow with the child a bit, all the better.

I always prefered the front worn carriers. I tried the back thing for a little while, and I found the front carriers far more convenient, easier to get off and on alone, and more psycho-secure since I could always see him and vice-versa.

At 18 months it won't be that long before you graduate to a leash anyway. :unsure:

I still carry my 2 1/2 year old in a backpack on hikes (though I should point out she only weighs 26 lbs). The Kelty/REI packs are all nice, and you may be able to find a used one. It's been my experience, however, that while hiking to the cache with a kid on your back is fun, looking for a cache is sometimes hard. You can't easily bend over and look under things, and ducking under branches can be tricky. Still, it's all worth it (until they start pulling your hair...).

Hi,

We have a Kelty backpack for carrying My 2.5 year old son Ben in, and he loves it. Perhaps more importantly, it is comfortable to carry him in it for miles, so when he tires of walking, we don't have to give up on a hike.

campmor, ems, or rei has a great variety of this type of pack.

nfa-jamie

(until they start pulling your hair...).

She tries to pull my hair, but can't get enough to pull! Lovin' the buzz cut! :unsure:

Thanks for all the info. Keep it coming if anyone else has anything to add. We'll be looking at making a purchase next week someitme.

Edited by Seay me

My two year old insists on walking these days. While letting her walk significantly decreases the number of finds we can do in an outing (due to her slower pace with those cute little legs, as well as the propensity to get off trail to explore), it truly becomes more enjoyable of an experience. She can usually hang with daddy for up to 2 miles, then she's ready for a brief break or even the fun of riding along.

We use this Snugli Cross Roads Internal Frame Pack that has proven quite durable, lightweight, and relatively inexpensive. I really like the little kickstand that helps in putting on and taking off the pack with her in it as she chooses to walk-ride-Walk-RIDE AGAIN-GOTTA WALK NOW-I'M GOING TO DIE IF I DON'T GET TO RIDE! randomness a toddler can inject into a caching experience.

I've been eyeing the Snugli Cross Country that looks like a pretty good pack, and is a slight upgrade to the Cross Roads. I have to say, though, for the price the Cross Roads keeps the toddler very well secured, and has held up very, very well.

Other packs out there that I've put on to gauage the "feel," that also have lots of bells and whistles, also weigh more. With a 30 pound toddler and support equipment (water, snacks, first aid kit, cache swag) and the equipment all over in my outdoor shirt and cargo pants that add another 5 or so pounds, I'm into minimal additional weight. Although in excellent shape, why should I carry more weight on a trek?

Four kids... All have been packed from the moment they could be stuffed in the backpack (sit-up age).

I used a front pack while they were tiny, but they grow. It's a weird thing, that growing.

Swear by Tough Traveler in any of it's magical forms, in large part, because on their higher end packs, the waist belt has been the best for me. In fact, I have one I'd happily sell you since my youngest is now 5 and 50 pounds and too heavy for me to carry (it's been about a year since I last put her in a pack and she was too heavy for me then.)

For bike trailers? Burley. Hands down. Have one of THOSE too.

For a stroller? Baby Jogger. 20" aluminum wheels ... also hands down.

-=-

michelle