Atributes Question

fly46

Yes, since handicapped cachers want to find caches when the future search capability is implemented, I would use the icon in both cases and give specifics in the description.

(Otherwise they won't see those caches they could do with assistance!)

Remember, icons should be general indicators...

Enjoy,

Randy

Remember, icons should be general indicators...

Right. It is a filtering mechanism. I stated in another thread that a handicapped person contacted us in the past and wrote that it is just good to have the attribute. From there they can decide whether it is something they can manage.

Handicapped accessible doesn't always mean for wheelchair bound individuals, IMO. Think of a handicapped parking space and the people that use them.

Edited by Jeremy

Fly, I would use the same litmus test that your local group uses for terrain. A 1 terrain cache can be retrieved from a wheelchair. Think about it from the hunter's point of view, I hate it when you see a low rated cache with the caveat, "handicapped accessible, except for the last twenty feet." This is not rocket science, either the cache is or is not handicapped accessible. I do not think that the icon was meant to be used in situations where the disabled cacher would be able to find parking and get to within sight of the cache, but not retrieve it.

I've been mulling over this question for awhile...What exactly is handicapped accesible? Some peole consider concrete or hard, flat ground only...yet I know some people that like to go Mud riding in their wheelchairs! ( exaggeragtion). The point is, if there is a not-too-steep slope that one could get a wheelchair down and/or up, maybe with a little assitance (are there any handicapped people that go caching entirely alone?), would you consider that a handicapped accesible?

I just edited my caches wrt the new attributes. a 1/1 is not a clear indication of it being accessable, it needs to be decided by the cacher. I have 2 really easy, but i wouldn't want to navigate a wheel chair on the last portion.

What is the standard? If the last 20-50 feet are off path, does the whole cache become un-accessable? I defaulted to yes instead of having someone get 95% there and not making it to the last bit.