Listerine Pocket Pack

evolsoulx

I have found the these type of caches before.  Can you do it?  Yes, paper can be put into them.  Do the work?  No.  The paper always gets wet and torn.  The breath strip containers are far from waterproof.

Well, then, you need to either:

1] use "write-in-the-rain" type paper

OR

2] hide it in a location it's not going to get wet.....

I know a cache hidden with a Listerine pack where it blends in perfectly with the surroundings. The color of the pack matches amazingly matches the surroundings.

I've seen others that were painted black. Yeah, the logs get wet (no worse than the Altoids ones, though). If the owners are conscientious enough to replace them often or use Rite in Rain or National Geographic Adventure Paper they're still fun.

Bret

I have found the these type of caches before.  Can you do it?  Yes, paper can be put into them.  Do the work?  No.  The paper always gets wet and torn.  The breath strip containers are far from waterproof.

Well, then, you need to either:

1] use "write-in-the-rain" type paper

OR

2] hide it in a location it's not going to get wet.....

I hate when people say that.

So the first person that comes caching in the rain... are they going to take the container back to their car or just open it in the downpour? How are you certain the spot won't get wet? etc...

What constitutes a lame cache? People who don't take the time to do it right to begin with. (And by right I mean basic precautions)

You can buy small waterproof containers at scuba shops. It's a special trip though, and for their size they can be pricey. They're usually neon colored, too, which may be a giveaway.

Another good small container would be the cases for GameBoy Advance game cards. You can buy these empty cases where ever GameBoy Advance games and accessories are sold, and often at a very reasonable price. They come in clear, subdued and vibrant colors. They have an overlapping closure which would make them water resistant, but it's doubtful they're waterproof.

If it doesn't have to be flat, film canisters are probably still the best thing going against the elements.

I think I am going to hide the tip broken off a lead pencil as a cache. For those who can't find it or sign the log it is their fault.

No...wait, I am going to hide something I saw on Stargate SG-1 as a cache. It is invisible, but you can write on it.

Yeah, that's what I am going to do because it would require lots of effort from me to hide and invisible object are so easy to find.

I think I am going to hide the tip broken off a lead pencil as a cache. For those who can't find it or sign the log it is their fault.

Haven't you noticed that when you break the lead off, there's a little hole ? I'm sure you could roll up a micro log in there. Or a grain of rice, people write half the bible on those to get into the Guinness Book of Records. :unsure:

I use the Altoids Tin version. I sometimes glue a magnet to the inside so as to not increase the total cache size. Then I put the micro-log inside a micro ziploc bag that can be purchased at craft stores (usually near the bead work stuff) for ~$1.50 for a half lifetime supply. I got them in 4 sizes but more are available...And I paint to match hide.

No...wait, I am going to hide something I saw on Stargate SG-1 as a cache. It is invisible, but you can write on it.

Yeah, that's what I am going to do because it would require lots of effort from me to hide and invisible object are so easy to find.

Although this sarcasm sounds perhaps bitter, I agree with it. There was a listeine packet cache hidden in a city park here. It was a terribly annoying cache. It was "temporarily disabled" more than it was availabe. It kept disapearing. I presume because it is litle different from the rest of the litter in the park. Furthermore, it's listing gave no hints, and no description other than "micro" . Since it can litterally be hidden behind even a piece of tree bark.it is a very un-realistic cache. Within 25 feet of this cache in every direction. there were 19 trees, 64 shrubs, 8 park benches, 6 guardrail posts, 2 street signs, 1 flag pole, 2 monuments, 2 storm drains.... I could go on, but you get the Idea. My personal feeling about micros is much like groundspeaks policy on virtuals. That is, they should only be used when a regular cache can't. Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to micros, and I use them in some of my placements, but they should have a purpose other than making the cache impossible to find.

I am currently working on placing a series of micro caches. Why? Not because I am lazy. Not because I am lame. Because some of them are just down right difficult to find. Some cachers in my area are board with easy to find five minute caches. They require thinking, and sometimes just plain searching for an hour till you see it right in front of you because the camo blends right in.

If you can keep the container dry go for it.

[Rant On]

Any cache can be lame, not just micros. If you don’t like them, don’t hunt for them. Wait I think I have read that in the forums about a thousand times. Almost as must as I have read about people bashing them.

[Rant Off]

I think I am going to hide the tip broken off a lead pencil as a cache.  For those who can't find it or sign the log it is their fault.

My apologies for this post. It does express how I feel about micros whose only reason for existing is to be nearly impossible to find, but I was way too 'bitter' in my expression.

My first cache was hidding using a Liquid Ice container http://www.hersheys.com/icebreakers/liquidice/home.asp . I have used these containers on three of my caches and all have been exposed to the elements in some degree. None ever got waterlogged. I have added a magnet to one, set one in the crotch of a tree, and glued one to a fake leaf. The last one was hung (via small wire) to an ivy bush on a block wall. I have stumped numerous people with the latter cache.

The key is to properly rate the difficulty, so cachers come prepared to look for a while.

liquid-ice-pack.gif

well, i want to go out and make a set of caches, and was planning on micro ones, and played around with things, and found the right way folded small log sheet can fit into a listerine breath strip package, anyone tried this for one? if so do they work?

No offense...take this as just advice known to be worthy.

You may want to find a few more caches before you start placing them.

Salvelinus

Edited by Salvelinus

If you can keep the container dry go for it.

The above is the main reason I do not like micros. So many people use containers that will not stay dry. [bTW: I live in the great lakes region where it is hard to keep caches dry either because of the freeze/thaw cycle or because people will open the cache in the rain] Of course the same can be said for non-micros -- that is the containers can be wet. However usually with a non-micro I was either led to an interesting location and/or the find was easy enough that I do not feel that I wasted my time.

There was a listeine packet cache hidden in a city park here. It was a terribly annoying cache. ... Furthermore, it's listing gave no hints, and no description other than "micro" . Since it can litterally be hidden behind even a piece of tree bark.it is a very un-realistic cache.

Well, since I am aware of at least one example of a "Listerine Pocket Pack" micro that remains active almost three years after it was first placed, I must disagree with you. The entire point of a tiny micro is to make the find especially challenging. You did not state whether the difficulty rating of the cache you sought correctly reflected the difficulty of the cache; in every example of this type of cache I have seen, the difficulty rating matched or exceeded the true difficulty of the cache.

Also, I was unaware that hints or revealing descriptions were an integral part of the cache experience. As far as I am concerned, the only information the cache owner needs to provide are the coordinates and the cache type.

The "pocket pack" containers have been used as caches for practically three years now. Ditto to what others have said: They leak badly, so use water-resistant paper and expect to perform maintenance on the cache on a regular basis.

I placed an Altoids strips container 2 years ago. The log has never gotten wet. I use regular paper cut in a 3/4" wide, 11" long strip.

In other words: location, location, location

Smallest cache I've found so far is a nitroglycerin-medicine tube a patient would wear around their neck - say 2" long by 3/8" wide. And now I see the local pet store has similar things for pet ID papers, but half that length. Eek!

The pet ID tubes work very well, and seem to be water-proof. Or go the Bison tube route.

Edited by Ambrosia

There are other brands of strips. The ones we've found that work the best are the ones that slide to open. The mini metal altoids are like this and are quite durable. There are also some good plastic sliding ones as well. We always use rite in the rain paper for the logs in these. We've used some of the hinge type strip containers, but they often don't last long. Best to use the sliding ones. If you want to add a magnet, use the wide/flat rare earth magnets, glued to the inside. When glued to the outside, they will often come off.

--Marky

One other concern is the scent of a pocket pack.  Mint may attract some beast to your cache.... unless of course you paint the heck out of it with some nasty smelling paint.

There are not usually that many critters in the Walmart parking lot.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one. <_<:blink: I've seen beasts AND critters.

I have a cache that uses an altoids breath strip container. I used it because it was a perfect fit for where I placed it and hard to spot. you DO have to kind of make sure it's protected somwhat from the elements or be ready to do maintenece often. I had a cache where I used a Nitro pill cylinder, but it was too much of a hassle. it kept disappearing from the cache location. AND you really have to change the paper pretty often... the paper is hard to get out and people rip it trying to get it out... not worth it, IMHO. But it was fun to try it for several months. I got a lot of comments from people who said it was the smallest cache they had ever seen... I have a different, larger cache container in the same place now...it is in a cool area so it is worth it.

Edited by mozartman
well, i want to go out and make a set of caches, and was planning on micro ones, and played around with things, and found the right way folded small log sheet can fit into a listerine breath strip package, anyone tried this for one? if so do they work?

The best solution is to find locations to place small or regular size caches. Placing a micro here and there is one thig but whe you say

i want to go out and make a set of caches, and was planning on micro ones

that worries me.

These work great.

These are my favorite.

1st) They do not work very well. I recently found three new caches that were made form breath mint strip containers, they were less than two days old, I was 3rd or 4th to find them, they were all damp on the inside.

2nd) If you must place a micro, put it someplace were a real cache will not work. I have seen many micros placed in areas in which a real cache could have been places. If there is a chance plants and so on may be damaged by people looking for the cache, then the cache should not be place there.

I've found one that used a pocket pack as the container, it had a magnet glued to the back and was enclosed in a small ziplock bag. ( you can buy those in the craft section at walmart) It was a great hide!

I've also used one as a stage on a multi, I just laminated the coords to the next leg and stuck it in the container. Most people who have done the cache love that leg.

I've found one that used a pocket pack as the container, it had a magnet glued to the back and was enclosed in a small ziplock bag. ( you can buy those in the craft section at walmart) It was a great hide!

I've also used one as a stage on a multi, I just laminated the coords to the next leg and stuck it in the container. Most people who have done the cache love that leg.

You shouldn't have to put a cache in a baggie to keep it dry. IMO If the container isn't waterproof enough without having to put it in a ziplock, it's not good enough to be a cache.

Edited by JMBella
The best solution is to find locations to place small or regular size caches.  Placing a micro here and there is one thig but whe you say

that worries me.

I have to disagree. There are plenty of great places for micros that would not support a larger cache. I had a series of micros that highlighted local parks, historical places, and interesting things that certainly would not have supported larger caches.

Edited by sbell111
The best solution is to find locations to place small or regular size caches.  Placing a micro here and there is one thig but whe you say

that worries me.

I have to disagree. There are plenty of great places for micros that would not support a larger cache. I had a series of micros that highlighted local parks, historical places, and interesting things that certainly would not have supported larger caches.

I disagree too. Micros have their place, just like larger caches. If the desire is to create a micro cache series in the forest, this is a bad idea. The location can easily support a larger cache and a micro could cause the area to get torn up because the cache is hard to find. In urban areas, there aren't always many places where large containers work, so micros are best there. It's hard to tear up concrete while looking for a micro magnetized to a sign or railing.

I disagree too. Micros have their place, just like larger caches. If the desire is to create a micro cache series in the forest, this is a bad idea. The location can easily support a larger cache and a micro could cause the area to get torn up because the cache is hard to find. In urban areas, there aren't always many places where large containers work, so micros are best there. It's hard to tear up concrete while looking for a micro magnetized to a sign or railing.

I see where you're coming from and that a good point. The image I get in my head when someone says I want to hide a series of micros is some slowing down to about 30 MPH and throwing a film can in a bush. We've all seen it, (well maybe not all) a new cacher, understandably gets excited and digs out all those film canisters at the bottom of the closet and goes bananas. I'm not saying that was his plan and that he shouldn't hide micros, I've certainly got a few micros out there myself, I just worry about the abundance of Walmart light post film cans and the like.

Edited by JMBella

I found a Listerine pocket pack cache once. it was tucked into a crevice under an old stone bridge. It did stay nice and dry, but it was tough to get the log out.

Thinking in real time here, a better use would be as a stage in a multi. The sole contents would be a laminated set of coordinates or maybe a dog tag with coordinates.

-PD