Meridian Gold

Bobolark

I have a Merigold, and I love it. SD Memory card slot, for maps, waypoints, and routes. For me its been accurate to within 3 feet, with and average of 9 feet. Just the right amount of features for a good price. Its pretty good under tree cover. It does averaging. Its pretty rugged in my experience.

Cons: Some people are put off by its size (its a little large, but I think its fine). The map software is really expensive. To get an accurate reading on the compass direction or the arrow on the map screen, you must be moving (this is true with many GPSr units, though the newer models of Magellan)

Lynx

I used to have the Meridian Platinum - basically the same unit, but with the addition of an altimiter (all but useless, I found) and an electronic compass. Now I have the Garmin Map60c - a unit that, like the MeriGold, doesn't have an altimiter (which i don't care about), nor an electronic compass. But now that I'm without an electronic compass, I find that I really really really really miss it! If I had to do the same purchase again I'd shell out the extra $ for the Map60cs for sake of the electronic compass, I think.

So, lack of the compass is one con of the MeriGold. Another is the greyscale screen. Color, if you can afford it, is soooo much easier to read! On my MeriPlat it often took a second look to distinguish between roads, rivers and topo-lines, track lines, etc. Not a big deal if you're walking through the woods, but if you ever drive with it... No such problems with a color screen.

The pro's of the MeriGod - it's an all around good unit (not that I've ever used it, but the MeriPlat is basically the same thing), and not too pricey.

Oh, and the expandable memory is absolutely key! (Wish my Map60c had it!)

Edited by eremite
Color, if you can afford it, is soooo much easier to read! On my MeriPlat it often took a second look to distinguish between roads, rivers and topo-lines, track lines, etc. Not a big deal if you're walking through the woods, but if you ever drive with it... No such problems with a color screen.

With the Garmin 60s as with other garmins that have an electronic cpmpass, unless you hold it level it will not be accurate. Unlike the Magellans with the tri axial compass

But now that I'm without an electronic compass, I find that I really really really really miss it! If I had to do the same purchase again I'd shell out the extra $ for the Map60cs for sake of the electronic compass, I think.

There is no real benifit to a color screen for geocaching, other than the, It looks cool factor Most of the time you are going to be using the Navigation arrow to find a cache and the color of the arrow has nothing to do with finding a cache.

The SD card memory is very handy and give you the option to have a very large number of large maps in your GPS. I all reality, unless you travel cross country a lot you do not need a large map.

One feature that the Meridian line offers with the SD memory card that I find very usefull

In my Meridian gold I have around 3,000 waypoints stored. These are in files of 80 to 100 caches, each file is for a different city that I cache in. If I want to look up a geocache I just bring up the file for the city I am in and I only have through the caches for the city, sure a Garmin may hold up to 1,000 caches, but do you have any idea how long it would take to go through that many when looking for one. Now the file can also be sorted by cache type, or difficulty or terrain, how ever you would like to save them.

I have had my Meridian for just about two years and have no real complaints. I am thinking of buying a new GPS and may buy one of the New Magellan explorist 400s when they are shipped, not that there is anything wrong with my Meridian gold, I just think I may add a fourth GPS to my collection. I just do not think I will ever buy another GPS without an SD memory card.

edit for 5AM typos

Edit for more typos-I gotta stop getting at 4AM, I am retired.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

This idea that you have to be moving to get an accurate fix with the compass needle has me a little maybe not worried but, shall we say, wondering. Do the cheaper Garmin eTrex units not have this characteristic? If the main use is just geocaching, would a person be better off with an eTrex?

Thanks to everyone for the comments

Unless the model speciifies that it has an electronic compass, the compass feature will be GPS-signal based. As a Meridian owner, I'm not sure which models include the e-compass. I used to have a Venture, I know neither this nor the yellow had electronic compasses.

One thing that helps *some* of the time on the Magellan GPS compasses is a feature called Northfinder. Icons for the sun and moon are positioned on the compass dial; if you can line one of them up with the corresponding heavenly body, you've got your compass aligned correctly without having to move. On cloudy days or moonless nights, this doesn't have too much value.

I used to have the Meridian Platinum - basically the same unit, but with the addition of an altimiter (all but useless, I found)

The Meridian Platinum does not provide the "addition of an altimeter." It does have a pressure sensor, but that is only used to provide barometric pressure readings. All altitude indications that are provided by the Platinum model are based on the GPS data, same as the Gold and other GPS receivers that don't have pressure sensors.

This is not the case with the Garmin models that include pressure sensors (Summit, Geko301, 76S, Vista/C, 60/76cs) since those units do utilize the pressure sensor to provide altitude measurements that are generally more stable and accurate than would be possible with only the GPS measurements.

My Maridian gold give a very accurate altitude reading, I also use a Suunto Altimeter watch with a Barometric sensor, When I compare the Suunto to my Meridian they are within just a few feet of each other, The Suunto Display alt. within 10 feet in accuracy, some of the newer, more expensive versions are accurated withing 3 feet.

The Meridian gold does not have a compass, it has a screen that looks like a compass, but unless you are moving it will not work.

By the definition of "compass" given at: http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/compass , i.e. a "navigational instrument for finding directions" the Meridian Gold certainly does include a compass, as does every other GPS receiver used for navigation. And since GPS receivers are all electronic, it would seem that they all have electronic compasses.

What most do not have is a "magnetic compass" which responds to the earth's magnetic field. Magnetic compasses can be either electronic (such as the one in the Platinum, Vista, etc.) or mechanical.

And yes, I realize that "electronic compass" is commonly used to exclusively describe the flux-gate type of compass which is both electronic and magnetic, but the term shouldn't be so limited.

There is no real benifit to a color screen for geocaching, other than the, It looks cool factor Most of the time you are going to be using the Navigation arrow to find a cache and the color of the arrow has nothing to do with finding a cache.

That is a ridiculous assumption.

Color aids in map navigation. Since it improves navigation than it benefits geocaching.

I never use the compass screen. I use the map screen all the way up to the cache location, then switch to the coordinates screen to zero in on the cache.

Color aids in map navigation. Since it improves navigation than it benefits geocaching.

I never use the compass screen. I use the map screen all the way up to the cache location, then switch to the coordinates screen to zero in on the cache.

If you are only using the map screen, you are working to hard, I have used both color and monochrome GPSr, I stand by my statemnent, Which is not an assumption, it is base on experiance.color is a waste of money.When I was giving Geocaching and GPS seminars I have seen new cachers and GPS users trying to find waypoints with a map screen, they get very upset very fast trying to use a map screen to zero in on a waypoint. Sure it can be done, but is a pain in the neck.

never use the compass screen.

If you have never used a compass screen, how can you know that it is not an easier way to find a cache.

The Meridian gold does not have a compass, it has a screen that looks like a compass, but unless you are moving it will not work.

By the definition of "compass" given at: http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/compass , i.e. a "navigational instrument for finding directions" the Meridian Gold certainly does include a compass, as does every other GPS receiver used for navigation. And since GPS receivers are all electronic, it would seem that they all have electronic compasses.

What most do not have is a "magnetic compass" which responds to the earth's magnetic field. Magnetic compasses can be either electronic (such as the one in the Platinum, Vista, etc.) or mechanical.

And yes, I realize that "electronic compass" is commonly used to exclusively describe the flux-gate type of compass which is both electronic and magnetic, but the term shouldn't be so limited.

I learned many years ago selling GPSr going back to before the first Gulf war that it is easier to get a customer to understand that the GPS compass screen only works when they are moving by just telling them it is a Compass Style screen. In the early years of GPSr there were no GPSr being made with the flux-gate. At least none that I ever saw for the retail market.

All the customer sees is a Compass, and when they set it down and it shows north in the wrong direction they come back to the store and want to return it. I have had customers that only want to understand what they want to understand, to them if its a compass and it cannot find north when they set it down, they do not want it. On more than just a few occasions all they would say is "If I put my Silva compass down it always finds north by itself, the GPS does not work, I want my money back"

If you are only using the map screen, you are working to hard, I have used both color and monochrome GPSr, I stand by my statemnent, Which is not an assumption, it is base on experiance.color is a waste of money.When I was giving Geocaching and GPS seminars I have seen new cachers and GPS users trying to find waypoints with a map screen, they get very upset very fast trying to use a map screen to zero in on a waypoint. Sure it can be done, but is a pain in the neck.

It most certainly is an assumption. For the exact reason I stated. You are assuming that everyone uses the compass screen to navigate to the cache location. It is also ONLY your opinion that COLOR is not a benefit. It is much easier to navigate with TOPO maps in color. Therefor it is a benefit.

never use the compass screen.

If you have never used a compass screen, how can you know that it is not an easier way to find a cache.

I did not say I have never used the compass to navigate. I said I never use it. Meaning I don't use it. :D

Being I have tried using a map screen to locate a cache, my statemnent in not an assumption, it is base on experiance and on observations I have made of students of geocaching trying to use a map screen to fine a cache, It is a lot easier to follow an arrow

As you have not been with me while I have given geocaching seminars and watched people having problems while trying to use a map screen to pinpoint a cache, and then see them find the cache when they have swithed to the compass screen. I raelly cannot place much value in your statement

Edited by JohnnyVegas
Being I have tried using a map screen to locate a cache, my statemnent in not an assumption, it is base on experiance and on observations I have made of students of geocaching trying to use a map screen to fine a cache, It is a lot easier to follow an arrow

Ok. I see you are having a hard time following what is being said. The assumption on your part is that everyone uses the nav arrow to locate a waypoint. Your opinion is that color is not beneficial because a color arrow doesn't help.

I contest that your generalized assumption and opinion is not factual.BTW there is an arrow on the map screen.

Well I've had my Gold for almost three years now, and found approximately 900 caches with it. I have had no problems, and it has been treated pretty rough at times.

And I also use the compass screen, when I'm on the trail for a cache, otherwise its in the map screen.

I have found for myself it is easier when approaching a cache to use the compas screen.

Ok. I see you are having a hard time following what is being said. The assumption on your part is that everyone uses the nav arrow to locate a waypoint. Your opinion is that color is not beneficial because a color arrow doesn't help.

I contest that your generalized assumption and opinion is not factual.BTW there is an arrow on the map screen.

I never said every one uses a compass. Just what type of Magellan GPS are you using?

It's easier to use a compass screen to pinpoint a cache

As you have not been with me while I have given  geocaching seminars and watched people having problems while trying to use a map screen to pinpoint a cache, and then see them find the cache when they have swithed to the compass screen. I raelly cannot place much value in your statement

Yeah, until the arrow leads them to the shorline on a lake and they have to backtrack because they didn't look at the map to see where the cache was.

Perhaps, when you're teaching people to use their GPS for caching, you should be teaching them to use BOTH screens to find caches. Use the map screen to find the easiest way to the cache area, and the "compass screen" once you have navigated the obstacles in the terrain and are closing in on the cache.

Doing it that way, color definately would be a benefit, as you wouldn't be wondering "is that a stream or a topo line or a road/trail?" Blue is water :P

Edited by IV_Warrior

Meridians do not have arrows on the map screen, they will have a the Position-Destination line and one of the info boxed can be customized to read Right or Left. Bu there is no arrow. You may be confused with the arrow that can be diplayed on the Garmin map screen.

The compass screen is easier to use, so there, :P

My map screen still doesn't have the neighborhood next to mine that was built two years ago,

That sounds like some to the area outside of Sacramento were they are build 1,000s of homes and lots of shooping centers. Just last Sunday we found two more new hime develpomants and two new shooping cinter sites that ar just getting started. I keep finding streets, ponds and parks that are not on the map screen. But it can take time to upgrade map software. So I don't have a problem newer roads not being there. Even if GPS manufactures updated their software every year, there are streets and roads that would not be there.

Just what type of Magellan GPS are you using?

I used a Platinum for two and a half years. I sold it for a Color. Best thing I did for navigation. Using TOPO and Directroute.

It's easier to use a compass screen to pinpoint a cache.

NUH-UH! :unsure:

How do you use Directroute and Topo together. Can you download both programs, or do you use one or the other.

I have looked long an hard at whic software I'm going to purchase for my Merigold. I like the autorouting feature of Directroute, but the Topo software would help me more do to my new fondness of hike-to geocaches. I won't mention how many times I wish I had the Topo software, when I assumed the cache was "just over the hill".

I'm a happy Meridian Gold user. I had mine bounce it's way down a cliff once, I also drove off with it on my vehicle roof and it flew into a ditch, and it still works like a charm. I have found over 330 caches, and hidden 31 caches with it.

The easiest way is to have both kinds of detail map files on your SD card and swap between them as desired. There is a way to bring the contour lines from Topo into DR map files, so you can autoroute with a map that also has contour lines in it. (This may not be possible with Top3D...someone has tried, but I can't remember if they were successful or not. I think there was a problem because the Topo 3D files are so much larger).

If you were going to have just one, I'd recommend DR. The autorouting is right handy. But from what you describe, it sounds like you could benefit from both.

Meridians do not have arrows on the map screen, they will have a the Position-Destination line and one of the info boxed can be customized to read Right or Left. Bu there is no arrow. You may be confused

The triangular position icon on the map screen is most certainly an arrow. It points in the direction you are moving. With a goto line straight to the cache, it is much easier than the uninformative spinning compass arrow. You can't see terrain rivers or lakes on the stupid compass screen. :unsure:

No, it is not an arrow, it is a traingle, and to goto line "position destination line" is not easier to use than the arrow on the compass.

Yes it is! :unsure:

Your opinion is not fact. The only reason I said anything in the first place is that you were spewing your biased opinion like it was fact. Your opinion about the compass screen. Your opinion about color screens.

If I was looking to buy a GPSr, and you came at me with your overbearing and biased opinions I wouldn't buy from you. It's rude and arrogant. You might even provoke an argument. How is that selling a product?

I would give you two or three choices and let you decide. I would point out differeances in Garmin and Magellan which are based on fact, not opinion.

If I tell a customer that Garmin topo software does not include street names and Magellan does-that is a fact.

If I tell a customer that Magellan offers a GPS with an SD slot and Garmin does not, that is a fact.

If I tell a customer that you do not have to hold a Magellan GPS with a magnetic compass level in order for it to work while with a Garmoin you do have to hold it level-thats a fact.

If I tell a customer they do not need a color screen to find a geocache, thats a fact

I would point out that with a Magellan GPS the use of an exteranal antenna is not as easy as with a Garmin Thats a fact

I would also tell the customer that they should try a GPS without an external antenna before spending the extra money, thats a fact.

If I tell a customer a Garmin Street pilot or a Magellen road mate is better to use in a car than a hand held GPS Thats a Fact

If I tell a customer that a Garmin has a sharper screen Thats a fact

If trying to save someone money is rude and arrogant. Then that is fine with me. One way to keep a customer comming back is by getting them to spend money items they need. Not that just look cool

This is called not taking advantge of customers, once a customer knows you are not going to take advantage of them, they become regular customers and then they recomend your services to there freinds.

Now if a customer comes in and tells me he wants a Garmin GPS 60cs, I am going to sell it, only an idiot would try to talk someone out of by something when they have already decided what they want.

I would give you two or three choices and let you decide. I would point out differeances in Garmin and Magellan which are based on fact, not opinion.

If I tell a customer that Garmin topo software does not include street names and Magellan does-that is a fact.TRUE

If I tell a customer that Magellan offers a GPS with an SD slot and Garmin does not, that is a fact.TRUE.

If I tell a customer that you do not have to hold a Magellan GPS with a magnetic compass level in order for it to work while with a Garmoin you do have to hold it level-thats a fact.TRUE.

If I tell a customer they do not need a color screen to find a geocache, thats a factThis is an interesting example of an opinion disguised with a diversion. Miss directing with the word need versus want. Although it may be sound advise in reference to saving money, it is still an opinion.

I would point out that with a Magellan GPS the use of an exteranal antenna is not as easy as with a Garmin Thats a factOpinion.

I would also tell the customer that they should try a GPS without an external antenna before spending the extra money, thats a fact.May be sound advise, however this is an opinion.

If I tell a customer a Garmin Street pilot or a Magellen road mate is better to use in a car than a hand held GPS Thats a FactOpinion.

If I tell a customer that a Garmin has a sharper screen Thats a factDisputable. Smaller graphics made with smaller pixels is relatively the same as larger graphics made of larger pixels. Meaning smaller is not better.

I agree that you may take a different approach with customers. Giving them as much info as you can. Sharing your opinions in good faith.

I do not like seeing people spending money on things they really do not need.

I have so many post in the forums wanting advice on there firsr GPS, I then I see others tell them they need to have a top end GPS to start caching, which just is not true. As a matter of fact, when you get right down to it, a basic yellow Garmin e-treks will get someone to any cache.

There better off spending the extra money on a pair of real hiking boots.

I find that the Meridian Gold is the best starter unit, because they can get one of them by itself, then they can add a memory card cables and mapping at a later date. You cant do this with other GPS units without having to spend alot, like a Map 60C and an Auto Navigation Pack to add another $150 to the $400 already spent, on the 60C.

The problem can occur if you prefer the best Tracklogging and accurate Trip Computer Info, you will have to try a more expensive GPS, where non of my Magellans have done well in this area, except for driving with AUTO-DETAILED turned ON for good tracklogging, also you must save the tracklog to SD Memory card for each segment that you Hike and drive, and clear the tracklog memory for the next segment you Hike or drive. This is where the more expensive Garmins have worked for me the best. Ive been doing an interesting project of hiking or running each neborhood block, and the Magellans just could not do it, but only the GPS V and GPS 60C of mine could toggle the tracking ON and OFF to create tracklog segments in the GPS's memory.

GPS choices will be a BIG headache for some time to come, because BOTH companies have problems and differing ideas on creating GPS units.

Getting back to the Original Post though, is that the Meridian Gold is a good way to go when you never have used a GPS before. New users of GPS, may only do a couple caches then throw the GPS in a closet till the batteries start leaking in the Unit. Many people will start out with an expensive GPS, but a Meridian Gold is pretty cheap by itself without all the accessories, so if you get into the GPS hobby, then go for the accessories that go with a Meridian Gold. This is where Garmin fails, because they dont have a GPS unit that uses commonly available memory cards, except for the expensive Ique 3600 PDA GPS combo unit, and even then the automotive upgrade is expensive for that.

----------

If you are really on the cheap, you can get a Magellan GPS 315 on Ebay or from a geocacher, these units are pretty good in the woods, but at times can be a little inaccurate.

----------

Oh by the way, that symbol on the map screen does POINT the direction of travel on the map screen. The POINTER on the Map Screen also tells you if you are in Track-up or North-UP modes on the Map Screen. So I call it a POINTER that shows your position. Pretty handy if you are a boat, and don't want to drift into a sandbar that is on the Map Screen but not visible, out ahead or to the side of the boat.

EDITED FOR speeelling

Edited by GOT GPS?