Cotm

rutson

That just leaves the trigpoints. :P I really dont know what to do. I WANT to keep them at 10 points.

Leave them at 10 points then.

How many for hiding a trig ive got the bags of concrete :):D

You do need quite a LOT of concrete - Did anyone else see The Map Man BBC TV programme about trigs? It's amazing how all the equipment and trig-making materials were dragged up to the tops of remote hills and mountains.

If you really want to hide a trig, just plant lots of trees and bushes around an existing one and wait 30 years. It leaves them well hidden!

SP :D

oh did I miss that one off :P

there are a few reasons why. I think its a bit late in the month to be suddenly saying Trigpoints don't count at all. I have only done 6 trigs this month but what if somebody had done more? . Also I would still like to count how many trigs are entered, plus all the profiles have a trig column and would look silly if trigs were not entered.

If the score is dropped to 5 (as I am guessing it will be :) ) at the end of the year if people still want the table to continue in 2006, we will sort it out before the start of 2006 if they are to be dropped

Just to put things into perspective.

One of the caches we did today was Simply Pauls Hampden's Monument. A nice cache and dash which we did without any information and just the co-ords. Took about 2 minutes, job done. :P

One of the trig points we did today was Wain Hill. A two mile hike uphill through thick mud and we managed to walk past the trig as it blended quite well. Took about 1 hour. :)

Which one of these is worth the 10 points? :D

Some trig points take 2 minutes, some take 2 hours.

Some caches take 2 minutes, some take 2 hours.

Nobody's commented on my question!

What about benchmarks that aren't listed on TB:UK??

I've been out looking today for 1GL benchmarks, bloody HARD to find. No coords, no grid refs. Why shouldn't they count?

[editted coz one of them was near a real good Real ale pub :P]

Edited by rutson
Nobody's commented on my question!

What about benchmarks that aren't listed on TB:UK??

I've been out looking today for 1GL benchmarks, bloody HARD to find. No coords, no grid refs. Why shouldn't they count?

[editted coz one of them was near a real good Real ale pub :)]

I am having a hard enough time keeping trigpoints in :P

How can anybody see what you have logged if there is no listing site? I am guessing your talking about cut benchmarks ?

Just how did you arrive at the 99% figure???

Seems to me looking at the total that enter every month it are a very small proportion of all the geocachers in the UK but then maybe I don't have your grasp of maths  :P

Everyone loves a smarta**e Ullium. As you well know, the 99% was a roundabout way of say 'practically all' of the people who want to enter a fun competition do so. Do you really think anyone cares about your refusal to enter?

If someone doesn't enter it doesn't mean they haven't accepted the rules. As far as I can see, YOU are the minority, and if you don't want to enter, why are you even bothering with reading or replying in this thread?

T

But that was my whole point PT...I don't think you can say 'practically all' and if that makes me a smarta**e in your book ... so be it!!

You no doubt would like what you have stated to be true...but wanting something and substantiating it with facts are entirely two different things.

From my viewpoint you are totally out of order with that comment :)

Edited by Team Ullium
Just to put things into perspective.

One of the caches we did today was Simply Pauls Hampden's Monument. A nice cache and dash which we did without any information and just the co-ords. Took about 2 minutes, job done.  :P

One of the trig points we did today was Wain Hill. A two mile hike uphill through thick mud and we managed to walk past the trig as it blended quite well. Took about 1 hour. :)

Which one of these is worth the 10 points?  :D

Some trig points take 2 minutes, some take 2 hours.

Some caches take 2 minutes, some take 2 hours.

Or what about my Cache In The Attic cache? One of several of mine where you get a TP thrown in 'for free'. It's true, some TPs are harder to find than some caches, but on average... We do have to talk about averages here. A trad is usually easier than a multi and locating a micro is often a real pain compared to an ammo box. And don't even get me started on co-ord accuracy and hints! On the flip-side you don't need a GPS to find a trig, you don't need a good clue to find a trig... All you need is an OS map (free off the net), some time and tenacity. It's for these reasons I support a 5 point per TP figure - with a bonus for a FTF/FTL as that is of value to Trig-pointing - simply because it confirms the TP's not been muggled! My change of attitude has come after talking to Brian and reading what's been written on this thread. Previously I had been in favour of a new table for them, separate from the COTM one.

Slightly off topic, but I'm curious. What reasons do people (by which I mean we forum users) have for not taking part in COTM? Is it a question of feeling the rules/points are unfair, or that they don't want to be bringing up the rear of the table, or they just think it's a daft thing that does nothing for caching. Or D, none of the above. As I say, I'm curious. For the record I'm not thinking of any individual (promise) and even if I was, I respect his, her or their reason(s) for not taking part - I'd just like to know what that or those reason(s) is/are. Why am I asking? I notice three people who didn't enter COTM in 2004 have voted on Deego's poll. I'm not saying you need to have taken part to have the 'right' to express an opinion on it, but I did find it interesting.

SP

Edited to add the 'why am I asking?' bit.

Edited by Simply Paul
You no doubt would like what you have stated to be true...but wanting something and substantiating it with facts are entirely two different things.

The words 'pot', 'kettle' and 'black' spring to mind. I'm not getting drawn into an argument with you Ullium. I know it's been a while since you had a good fight on here, but your next isn't going to be with me - sorry!

T

The words 'pot', 'kettle' and 'black' spring to mind. I'm not getting drawn into an argument with you Ullium. I know it's been a while since you had a good fight on here, but your next isn't going to be with me - sorry!

T

I can assure you PT that I have no wish for an argument either...that is why I don't resort to childish name calling. :D

I am only observing the situation as I see it from an non-biased point of view as I really couldn't care less one way or the other :D

Slightly off topic, but I'm curious. What reasons do people (by which I mean we forum users) have for not taking part in COTM? Is it a question of feeling the rules/points are unfair, or that they don't want to be bringing up the rear of the table, or they just think it's a daft thing that does nothing for caching. Or D, none of the above. As I say, I'm curious. For the record I'm not thinking of any individual (promise) and even if I was, I respect his, her or their reason(s) for not taking part - I'd just like to know what that or those reason(s) is/are. Why am I asking? I notice three people who didn't enter COTM in 2004 have voted on Deego's poll. I'm not saying you need to have taken part to have the 'right' to express an opinion on it, but I did find it interesting.

SP

Edited to add the 'why am I asking?' bit.

I have not entered COTM because: -

1. I have only recently discovered the UK forum

2. With the exception of 2 caches on Shetland I own or have adopted all of them

The only way I can therefore get points is: -

1. By hiding caches

2. By finding Trig Points

3. By taking a 12 hour ferry ride to mainland Scotland and finding some there

I suppose that there is also a feeling that I am just not sufficiently a competitive soul unless I know that I can win. I could make 65 caches with my stash of film containers, hide them all over a number of weeks, then register them all at the same time. If I hide a large amount of them by trig points then the chances are that I will win that month.

When I am clambering to the top of a hill to find a trig point the last reason in my mind for getting there is to be able to log this into a table, the main reason is my fitness (I have asthma).

I have total respect for those that want to enter COTM. Its interesting to see what you are all up to, and for all of the effort that goes into the production of the figures, but to be honest I don’t feel sufficiently motivated to enter it. It is probably because I seem to be the only active geocacher here on Shetland, so for me I am not playing on a level playing field with the rest of you.

What reasons do people (by which I mean we forum users) have for not taking part in COTM? Is it a question of feeling the rules/points are unfair, or that they don't want to be bringing up the rear of the table, or they just think it's a daft thing that does nothing for caching. Or D, none of the above.

I tried to enter once but the site was down or something - kept getting some sort of rejection message :D , and then never got around to it again. It would be great if you could just "opt-in" and then have your score generated automatically and included in the table (with or without Trigs).

Reasons for not entering - remembering to do it, time, bad experience from trying last time.

I will go and enter our single find NOW. :D

I have total respect for those that want to enter COTM. Its interesting to see what you are all up to

Thats one of the reasons why I wanted to do a table in the first place and going by the page hits, twice as many people look as enter. Which is good :D

26 Votes on the poll so far

THE POLL

Edited by Deego
It would be great if you could just "opt-in" and then have your score generated automatically and included in the table (with or without Trigs).

It would be a lot easier that way. But its to clever me at the moment. 18 months ago I did not know html (some people say I still don't :D ) I hope the table will evolve as I learn more :D

When I am clambering to the top of a hill to find a trig point the last reason in my mind for getting there is to be able to log this into a table, the main reason is my fitness (I have asthma).

I can see you're something of a special case 60North. The Shetlands can't be an easy place to cache - but a very rewarding one. If I were there I'd get hiding those micros in special places I'd like visitors to the islands not to miss. The motivation to enter the table, as you say, will come when you feel you have something to contribute. I would say I never expect to excel on it but I still take part 'just because it's there'.

As an ex asthma sufferer myself (even ended-up being rushed to hospital - no fun at all) have you tried giving up margarine? When I did in 2000 within 2 weeks I'd stopped using Vlad (the inhaler) all together and I've only needed to use it a couple of times in the last 4+ years, and even then just as a precaution. Might not work for you, but it sure did for me!

Oh, and technical issues logging figures via the COTM page can be bypassed by emailing Deego directly.

SP

so for me I am not playing on a level playing field with the rest of you.

Is there room for a level playing field in Shetland? :D

The main island is about 75 miles from top to bottom, nothing is more than 3 miles from the sea, but yes, there is a problem with a lack of flatness.

I suppose that I could always put goal posts at either end of the bowling green in Lerwick :D

I can see you're something of a special case 60North. The Shetlands can't be an easy place to cache -

You must know my therapist

:blink::blink:<_<

Vote 10 Points for trigpoints - you know it makes sense!!

Oh look, another vote for 10 points. How did that happen?

T

It doesn't really matter. It's a flawed poll with only the answers that suit one side of the argument and with no control over who votes.

I want to vote on how many points to award a cache hide, but can't do that giving a positive value to trig finds which I don't wish to do.

It's been said many times in this thread and others that COTM is Brian's baby and ultimately he can do whatever you want with it. So we don't really need to have a poll at at all, do we? < <_< obligatory smiley :blink: >

Its looking like hiding a cache should be worth 30 points sorted !!!

As for the Trigpoints Its nearly a 50/50 split . So looks like I will have to do two tables One with the Trigs and one with out, that way it will please most of the people. After all if I get any free time I only waste it going caching/trigpointing B) B)

2005 rules

any comments? :rolleyes:<_<:ph34r:

Yes I can do. Hope it does not dilute the information to much for anybody.

When you look at the month table at the top there will be two tabs one saying "INCLUDING TRIGPOINTS" the other "EXCLUDING TRIGPOINTS" you will be able to switch from table to table as you wish.

Still know it wont please everyone, but its the best I can come up with :P

Yes I can do. Hope it does not dilute the information to much for anybody.

When you look at the month table at the top there will be two tabs one saying "INCLUDING TRIGPOINTS" the other "EXCLUDING TRIGPOINTS" you will be able to switch from table to table as you wish.

Still know it wont please everyone, but its the best I can come up with :P

It will work for me. Thanks :P