Which One?

Pipanella

I've been caching since last April with a little yellow eTrex, and I have to say, I like it. BUT...I've been considering moving up. What I'd like from my fellow cachers are recommendations. Tell me what you'd get if you were buying in the next few months (and where, if you know of a good deal!). I probably won't use the REALLY luxury features, but something that's middle-of-the-road. In any case, I'd like to hear what you think.

Convince me to buy something. :rolleyes:

Any thoughts on the new Magellan Explorist series?  I'm considering the 400 or 500.

The Sportrac is a better buy.

I just happen to be shopping for a GPS for Mrs. Rusty to use in the Rally this summer. Since I already own Mapsource Topo I'm look ing at Magellan units only.

Which Sportrac, and why? I'm just afraid I'll be paying for features I'll never use. I want to avoid that.

I recently purchased a new gps. I started out with an emap that I believe Noah may have possibly used to navigate the Ark with. I looked at units from the different manufacturers and when I got no reply from magellan on any design change or correction to their cracked case problem, it was clearly a new garmin unit for me. I went with the gpsmap 76c, a good friend works for a local distributor so I got his discount as well as a 50 buck rebate. My final cost was around 310 for it. So far I really enjoy it but there's a lot of bells and whistles on it that I will never use.

There are only three reasons to move up: 1) your unit is broken or lost, 2) you want to major on maps, or 3) you want the electronic compass. I have a Vista with the compass, it has average maps and can be upgraded in the map area if you spend the bucks. I like it, but if you want great maps I think you could do a little better. Not sure what I'd choose. The maps aren't that important to me.

The Map 60CS. Color screen is nice, reception is great, menus are very user customizible, incredible battery life, it supports autorouting and the dedicated geocaching mode is a nice touch.

My only quarrel with it is that being an eTrex owner, its on the big side. Takes some getting used to. You can find it for around $360 if you shop around. Even cheaper if you ditch the electronic compass and go with the Map 60C.

If you like the size and feel of your eTrex, consider moving up to a Vista, or perhaps a Legend C, or a Vista C. The new eTrex color units are getting rave reviews from the people who have them.

I agree.....if it works, why change it?

I have one of the "Little Yellow Boogers", and I think it works fine. Occasionaly I have a lot of signal-bounce, usualy within ten feet or so, and on cloudy days.

(Ok, maybe not occasionaly.....if you've ever been to Pacific Grove, you'd understand though.... :o )

I think with the GPS field, the only real difference is features, though I may be completely wrong....idunno.....

However, IF I was going to get a new gps, I'd go with one that has mapping capability. That's just 'cause I have no sense of direction when driving, and could use the ability of seeing if I'm on a dead end before I get there. :lol:

If you want color and maps, and you don't mind spending enough to move up the model line, the Explorist 500 might be a very good choice. We don't quite know yet, since we can only look at them on paper for another month or so. There was an extensive collection of critical speculations in this thread.

If you want color and maps, and you don't mind spending enough to move up the model line, the Explorist 500 might be a very good choice. We don't quite know yet, since we can only look at them on paper for another month or so. There was an extensive collection of critical speculations in this thread.

Great link, thanks!

Yeah, RK, I wonder about the switch, too. But I'm sure I could learn to like either one.

Any thoughts on the new Magellan Explorist series? I'm considering the 400 or 500.

As I posted in the other thread, it seems like the new Magellan Explorist series has an internal lithium ion battery. Would mean you couldn't swap batteries easily if you run low. It's not clear as to whether you can replace the batteries on the fly.

Any thoughts on the new Magellan Explorist series?  I'm considering the 400 or 500.

As I posted in the other thread, it seems like the new Magellan Explorist series has an internal lithium ion battery. Would mean you couldn't swap batteries easily if you run low. It's not clear as to whether you can replace the batteries on the fly.

Exactly. I wouldn't want it if you couldn't. Magellan should come in here and read some of the comments by people who actually use these things, especially if the eXplorist series is targeted for geocachers.

Hi Pip!!

Everyone born in 1957 should get a Garmin 60C or 60CS. That's why they sell the most units!

Seriously, though, I have a 60C and love it. Great screen readability in all lighting conditions, plenty of map memory for my use, 20 hours or so on 2AA rechargables, a tiny bit bigger than your banana, but a great all around unit.

Hi Pip!!

Everyone born in 1957 should get a Garmin 60C or 60CS.  That's why they sell the most units!

Seriously, though, I have a 60C and love it.  Great screen readability in all lighting conditions, plenty of map memory for my use, 20 hours or so on 2AA rechargables, a tiny bit bigger than your banana, but a great all around unit.

Oh, is that the 'law?' :grin:

Seriously, that is one I'm considering.

What about this one? (Garmin LegendC)

Edited by Pipanella

Cast my vote for the Rino 120 or 130, I have a Vista, GPS3Plus, GPSV, an old GPS40? and an IQUE. The IQUE is great for the road, but worthless without an outside power source. The battery will not last 10 minutes in GPS mode. The Rinos though seem to be much faster to aquire satellites, and seem to hold a signal where none of the rest do. Maybe it is just an antenna issue? At any rate, it really makes caching with the Vista frustrating. Glen*

I have had a Legend for a little over a month and I am ordering a 60cs. I just decided that I wanted autorouting and an electronic compass. Just today I was in the middle of a briar thiicket trying to walk around to get the arrow to point in the right direction. Would be nice to be able to just stand there. Just my 2 cents.

IMHO the Battery issue is a killer. Any device having a custom battery pack (replaceable with spare or not) reduces the ability to chose the best battery for the current job. And don't think that LiIon lasts forever. They do degrade, and they do so faster when running hot. They drain faster when cold and they simply stop working altogether at about -20C (-4F).

Here's a good read about batteries: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone.htm

Jan

Hi Pip!!

Everyone born in 1957 should get a Garmin 60C or 60CS.  That's why they sell the most units!

Seriously, though, I have a 60C and love it.  Great screen readability in all lighting conditions, plenty of map memory for my use, 20 hours or so on 2AA rechargables, a tiny bit bigger than your banana, but a great all around unit.

Oh, is that the 'law?' :unsure:

Seriously, that is one I'm considering.

What about this one? (Garmin LegendC)

I like the Legend C. It's a nice unit, and uses the same firmware as the 60C and 76C. It's also a bit smaller (okay, quite a bit smaller than the 76C).

The main disadvantages are half the memory of the 60C (which isnt a killer if you have a laptop or mostly cache close to home), patch antenna (again, maybe better in canyons or "concrete canyons" but not under tree cover) and button placement.

That third item may be a plus for you, since I think the C and the Yellow are pretty similar. I prefer the rocker panel on the 60C myself.

The cost difference between the Legend and the 60 are not that great.

There are only three reasons to move up: 1) your unit is broken or lost, 2) you want to major on maps, or 3) you want the electronic compass. I have a Vista with the compass, it has average maps and can be upgraded in the map area if you spend the bucks. I like it, but if you want great maps I think you could do a little better. Not sure what I'd choose. The maps aren't that important to me.

I'm now considering the Legend OR the Vista. The Vista, mainly because of its larger memory. And as far as the included maps are concerned, would I really NEED to get the more detailed mapping software? How good are the standard included maps? If I don't really need to get more detailed maps, then the Legend would be good enough.

How good are the standard included maps? If I don't really need to get more detailed maps, then the Legend would be good enough.

The basemaps on the b&w ones are about equivalent to what you find on a paper state highway map; i.e. highways and major roads are shown including some of the main streets in cities, but no residential streets or minor rural roads. It's good enough for getting between towns on the major roads. [bTW, the basemap on the LegendC/VistaC are less detailed than on the b&w ones.]

The detailed maps add essentially all roads plus many Points-of-Interest. They're more equivalent to a AAA city map plus a good part of the yellow pages listings. They also let you search for street addresses and intersections. I expect that after comparing the detail on the basemap vs. the detailed map you'd no longer be satisfied with the basemap.

Hi,

I love my Meridian Platinum, and my Sportrak before that. When my sportrak died, my wife bought me a legend, and I felt that signal reception was less effective than with the magellan. Magellan also allowed me to upgrade from my dead sportrak to my new (and live) meridian platinum for just the difference in list price.

nfa-jamie

I love my new MeriGold, and got it for a great price: $159 at CompuPlus.com.  I've heard good things about the new Explorists, especially since they'll allow downloading data, but I'd rather go with something tried and true, personally...like my MeriGold.

Pip, owning both a Merigold and a Legend...I've found-

1. The aquire and lock for the Merigold is quicker and better

2. The screen on the Merigold is larger and easier on eyes that were born in 1957(I can stand wearing glasses when I cache)

3. The buttons are more user friendly on the Merigold

VS

1. The Legend is lighter weigh, smaller, takes up less room, etc...

2. I like the moving track GO TO of the Garmin better than the stationary track of a Magellan

Exactly. I wouldn't want it if you couldn't. Magellan should come in here and read some of the comments by people who actually use these things, especially if the eXplorist series is targeted for geocachers.

The battery in the explorist can swithced out, Magellan is going to be selling extra batteries. Big advantge with Li Ion they have no memory problems and can be charged without running them down, And they can be charge in about 2 hours.