Blue Disc With Brass Trim?

superpowerdave

Searching for TT0725 I discovered that the building had undergone major renovations and the benchmark was no longer in place. Conceding to defeat, I prepared to leave when I spotted this blue dsc on the ground, embedded in the concrete. Does anyone know what this might be?

The building itself was built in the late 1970s and was renovated in 1995. It is Anchorage's Federal Building and Old Courthouse, a historic site in town.

(I have some photos but am not sure how to upload them.)

It could be just about anything, but it certainly does look like it could be a type of survey marker. It could be a city benchmark, or possibly a property corner (although they're not usually that fancy.) I asked my wife if she recognized it as anything (she's from Anchorage) but she doesn't know either.

f3876b95-d841-4624-9147-ddb309bc74a0.jpg

It's difficult to tell from the image; are there any markings or stampings on the disk? Where was it relative to the building and curb? If you have any other images or info, let us know.

- Kewaneh

No other markings that I could see, and I have more pictures I'm just ignorant as to how to upload them.

anchorage10.jpg

As far as relative to the building or curb? Well from the image below (I think I inserted it right) you can see the southeast corner of the building and the easternmost entrance.

Looking at the image to the lower left you see a set of stairs, which was where I began my search originally. I didn't find anything there, so headed back to the curb to see if anything was there. No joy. Reading the data sheet again I read 'Post Office' and was confused, because the downtown post office is four blocks east from my position. Thinking that this could have been the downtown post office at one point in time, I headed up those stairs.

A foot or so beyond where the railing ends (in the photo) the wall cuts back to the left to a small sort of patio. This is where I found the disk. It was located about a foot and a half from the streetside wall and about three feet from the corner just past the edge of the railing.

After taking a better look at my pictures, the blue area of the disk has concentric lines in it, almost like an lp record. The outside ring of brass is a little less than half an inch thick, and then a layer of blue about an eighth of an inch, and then a strip of brass the same width. Another layer of blue about an inch and a quarter thick, thin ring of brass, thin ring of blue, brass, and then blue before a brass dimple in the center.

If I can offer up anymore information and I just haven't thought of it please let me know. I'd like to know what I found, if anything at all.

Thanks.

I know that the various cities in this area often have differing styles of permanent markers that they set for their own reasons, So it goes with the state also. Many are tied in to the NSRS.

It does not look like any Marker I have ever seen. It may not be one. If it is a Marker, it is likely this is just another one of those survey marker styles which were selected to set their markers apart from others. I can't say I have seen one like this in a Catalog either...

The Crux of the problem is that when we surveyors go looking for survey to use, we have the data and have an idea as to where to look. We are hunting for something specific, and we have an idea what it will look like. Then there is the local knowledge factor, we have an idea as to what to expect to see, how things are commonly done in that locale... I have no local knowledge as to Anchorage but I can say from experience that this station, if it is one, could belong to a number of different agencies or municipalities, so the approach to figuring out the to whom this belongs is a bit more involved. It is a form of working in reverse... On the other hand a local surveyor would look at this and likely know.

Perhaps a call to a Surveyor in Anchorage is in order? They may know who uses this marker type off the top of their heads...

Probably not much of an answer, but just a possibility,

Rob

Edited by evenfall