Travel Bugs....and Coins?

Team MJDJ

Before you flame me...I HAVE read the FAQ's!!!

Now that we have established THAT...How does one "acquire" a travel bug? Is it purchased through this site? Is it home-made? How do you number/bar-code it?

I am about to start my FIRST cache and I would like to put a NEW bug in it...what do I do?

Ditto for Geo-coins...are they purchased through this site, or do we make them at home?

Thanks!

And, you can get them directly from a link on the Travel Bug information page.

There is a thread or two here that discusses making your own non-numbered geocoins (crude - but unique). Or you can buy them. There is a geocoin for Canada, another for Texas, and just recently, geocoinsusa says they now have some.

None available on this web site or at Groundspeak store yet.

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

quote:
Originally posted by Team MJDJ:

Now that we have established THAT...How does one "acquire" a travel bug? Is it purchased through this site? Is it home-made? How do you number/bar-code it?

As indicated to get an TravelBug serial number you have to buy a pair of tags from the gc website. Using that number you can track an item (or even just the tag itself) as it moves from cache to cache. You can just make a (homemade) generic traveler, usally called a Hitch Hiker. Like a TB you would want to attach some sort of info/goal sheet to it. You will also need to come up with some way of 'tracking' the HH, generally either setting up your own site or finding one set up for such a thing. The big advantage of TBs (IMO) is how the tracking database is intergrated with the cache data. As the bug is moved the cache to cache, and properly logged, the TB icon will show up on the cache page indicating a traveler is in the cache, and of course the system will map the travels &etc.

quote:
Ditto for Geo-coins...are they purchased through this site, or do we make them at home?

You have to go to outside sites for those. Some people have made items themselves, while others have paid for it to be done. Some have had been stamped metal, others plastic "poker chips", and even some wooden nickel types. I would advise you to run a search, but the search feature seems to timing out... icon_frown.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg