Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ke5bsz

Ham Radio

:rolleyes: what privliges do I have if I am a tech. on Ham Radio. I am doing geocaching at Field Day '05 for my dad,n5mij

Thanks

Megan

ke5bsz

You are fully qualified to use a GPS receiver. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I have no idea. I'm under the Canadian rules. FWIW, we have Basic and Advanced qualifications. Advanced have more privelidges but either license needs to have Morse added to it to allow transmission below 30MHz.

73 de -.-. --- ..- .--. .- .-. .- -. --. ..- ...

You have full privileges from VHF and above (70 cm, 1.25 m, 2m, 6m). You can do microwave and aprs. You can also do beacon and repeater.

10 meter and beyond are not allowed at the Tech level.

Uhm.... Isn't this something you needed to know to actually GET your tech ticket?

Uhm.... Isn't this something you needed to know to actually GET your tech ticket?

Yes, I believe that the questions on the exam actually address that, along with proper frequency shift, etc.

Also, it would depend on who the control operator is. If it's you, you're allowed on the VHF/UHF bands... but if there's someone with a higher class, you're allowed to operate on those bands, provided that the control operator is present and in control of the station.

Is there a big difference between the US Tech/General/extra and the Canadian Basic/Advanced? I guess, I am wondering from a getting your license standpoint.

I am in Canada, and would like to get my Basic. I just picked up 'HAM Radio for Dummies' book (and I am only on page 20), but it's written for the US licence.

Thanks.

Not sure how the licenses stack up.

In the US, the tech is really pretty easy to get. General is harder material (somewhat) and CW is required for passage. Extra is much more detailed than the General license but there is no longer a higher CW requirement for Extra.

As I understand it, the Canadians only require you to pass CW if you want to work CW, but that HF phone is allowed without passing CW.

hey C-A: re: "Advanced have more privelidges but either license needs to have Morse added to it to allow transmission below 30MHz."

... for now, anyway. :grin:

cz

As I understand it, the Canadians only require you to pass CW if you want to work CW, but that HF phone is allowed without passing CW.

Wish they would do that here. CW isn't my strongpoint and once I get my General, it will go by the wayside...

I always thought that CW would go by the wayside too,once I upgraded... I only learned it enough to pass the test, figuring that was all I would ever hear of it, but once it got to the point where I didn't HAVE to do it, I tried it one night....sent out a real slow and I'm sure sloppy, CQ....got an answer from a very very patient HAM....he coached me through my first CW QSO....it was actually fun! I still am not any kind of great CW op, but I do try to get on once in a while and see if I am lucky enough to find a fellow HAM who will put up with my slow speed and sloppy sending.... and most times, I do, and they are very encouraging. It's funny how it become fun, once it wasn't mandatory. so I guess what I am saying is don't give up on it....pass it, let it go, then maybe one day you will get the urge to try it, and you will at least only have to dust off a skill, not learn a new one.

73, I'm off to try this PSK31 stuff tonight....something new, for me, that seems like it might be fun to try.

Hank

Wish they would do that here. CW isn't my strongpoint and once I get my General, it will go by the wayside...

Yeah... my CW kind of has gone by the wayside, but I've made a commitment to get back to it and work on it some more. I'm finding that the QRP modes are my favorite modes and most of the QRP users do CW rather than phone.

I'm convinced anyone can learn CW at the speeds called for on the license and do it within 2 months. :) I recall when they eliminated the requirement for the basic license up here. The people moaning that the CW was holding them back still took months and years, and failed attempts, to get their basic license and haven't upgraded since. If you can understand human speech you can certainly understand a language with a much simpler vocabulary. The requirement is going to be dropped soon anyway but I hardly expect an onslaught of new amateurs.

Cheers!

C-A

5 Words a Minute is not that difficult. Good luck on your General ticket, don't toss out CW without trying a few QSO's...it's a LOT of fun and very addictive. I'm a die hard QRPer and none of my rigs even have a microphone.

You have full privileges from VHF and above (70 cm, 1.25 m, 2m, 6m). You can do microwave and aprs. You can also do beacon and repeater.

you also have privleges on 6 meters (50Mhz)

You should pick up one of the freq. charts.

You have full privileges from VHF and above (70 cm, 1.25 m, 2m, 6m).  You can do microwave and aprs.  You can also do beacon and repeater.

you also have privleges on 6 meters (50Mhz)

You should pick up one of the freq. charts.

Here is a web page from which the Amateur Radio frequency band chart may be downloaded as a PDF file.