Electronic Compass?

tnfishdaddy

I have a Legend and when I get close and stop walking, the pointer gets squirrely. I know I am suppose to keep walking. Will a unit with the electronic compass like the 60cs keep this from happening when I stop walking? I am not sure I understand the compass feature. Can somebody put this into language an idiot can understand. Thanks.

Short of a real compass - your GPS compass depends on movement for updates. If you are not moving - your GPS may get a slightly different fix on the sats and in so doing mimic movement thus updating the compass and tending to look squirrley(sp). Also if you don't move (say turn in a circle) there is no update so it still shows the compass as it was before. As you get close the general error of +- 20 feet can make it dance in circles. Time to start searching!!

With an electronic compass you do not need to be moving to have the compass point you to the cache or waypoint.

True that, to a point. It depends on the GPS. The Garmin Legand "compass" gives a reading based on the information from the global positioning system. Warriorrider's Meridian Platinium (pictured in their avatar) has a circuit that will determin north based on the earth's magnetic field.

Of course, for what Garmin and Magellan charge for and electronic compass, you can buy a bunch of real ones that do not need batteries. <_<

Of course that is a personal preference. I know that many (or most) may not want to pay extra for it but after having used one, I would never own a GPS without an electronic compass. But that's just me :rolleyes:

I have a Legend and when I get close and stop walking, the pointer gets squirrely.  I know I am suppose to keep walking.  Will a unit with the electronic compass like the 60cs keep this from happening when I stop walking?  I am not sure I understand the compass feature.  Can somebody put this into language an idiot can understand.  Thanks.

Yes the 60CS, or any other unit with an electronic compass will resolve this. You have to decide whether the issue is problematic enough to warrant that kind of outlay for a new unit, esp. when you consider its a minor problem that is easy to get around. You can do so either by buying a $10 handheld compass, or by walking away from the area of the cache, then returning at a brisk pace.

Edited by briansnat

The Northeast U.S. has some snow on the ground right now. A lot of people are driving regular cars and they get around. I have a 4x4. I get around better. I am not saying that an Electric Compass over a GPS Compass will be nearly as dramatic, but the people who have never had one can't know for sure what they are missing. I do carry a regular compass that doesn't require batteries. But, I still appreciate my Electronic Compass. It can still direct you toward a GOTO point in a small patch of very heavy tree cover, even if you are having trouble maintaining a satelite lock. This won't come in handy very often, so you have to decide if it's worth it to you. And the Electronic Compass will eat into your battery life. My Garmin GPS Map76S gives me a very easy ON / OFF shortcut key to quickly bring it on line for short periods of time.

With an electronic compass you do not need to be moving to have the compass point you to the cache or waypoint.

True that, to a point. It depends on the GPS. The Garmin Legand "compass" gives a reading based on the information from the global positioning system. Warriorrider's Meridian Platinium (pictured in their avatar) has a circuit that will determin north based on the earth's magnetic field.

That's not an electronic compass, however, as would be the case with the Vista over the Legend. That's the compass (or "pointer") screen. It's confusing since people do see the arrow and think they have a compass when really they don't. The Legend doesn't have a built-in compass so you will need to be moving. Trade up to the Vista (or other models that have it, that's just the next step up) and you won't need to be moving for the arrow to orient itself to the cache location.

Of course that is a personal preference. I know that many (or most) may not want to pay extra for it but after having used one, I would never own a GPS without an electronic compass. But that's just me :D

and me. :o

It's not the same as "carrying a $10 handheld compass". :lol:

:D

Thanks for the answers. I hate getting close and having to back up and walk briskly forward again to get the pointer to help find the cache. I also think I will like the auto routing of the 60cs. You can't have too many toys anyways. I told my wife she can use the Legend so she is happy also. Thanks again.

Of course that is a personal preference. I know that many (or most) may not want to pay extra for it but after having used one, I would never own a GPS without an electronic compass. But that's just me 

I have used GPSr with the electroninc compass and without from both Magellan and Garmin. I just think they are a waste of money, for the money you save by not buying a GPS with an electonic compass you can by things that are more usefull Like say a 12volt cord for your GPS, batteries, Day Pack, thermals, gloves, warm hat.

If you feel you need to have a GPS with a built in electronic compass I would recomend one from Magellan. The Magellan has a triaxial compass which means you do not have to hold the GPS level for the compass to work. THe Meridian Platinum will include an electronic compass and will do auto routing with Magellan Mansend Direct Route software.

That's not an electronic compass, however, as would be the case with the Vista over the Legend. That's the compass (or "pointer") screen. It's confusing since people do see the arrow and think they have a compass when really they don't. The Legend doesn't have a built-in compass so you will need to be moving. Trade up to the Vista (or other models that have it, that's just the next step up) and you won't need to be moving for the arrow to orient itself to the cache location.

I think you may have missunderstood which unit I was talking about. The Platinium has a true electronic compass.

I vote yes for the electronic compass.

I have two Plats and invariably friends with compassless GPSr's of all major makes drool over my ability to keep on going when their unit just sits there, waiting, for you to walk, and walk, and walk, so you can get a refreshed pointer pointed in the appropriate direction...

but it is a question of how much it is worth to you...

The Commissar!

Thanks for the answers. I hate getting close and having to back up and walk briskly forward again to get the pointer to help find the cache. I also think I will like the auto routing of the 60cs. You can't have too many toys anyways. I told my wife she can use the Legend so she is happy also. Thanks again.

Sure. She's happy with the Legend until you get the 60. Then you'll have the Legend back again!! :grin:

I have two Plats and invariably friends with compassless GPSr's of all major makes drool over my ability to keep on going when their unit just sits there, waiting, for you to walk, and walk, and walk, so you can get a refreshed pointer pointed in the appropriate direction...

Next time you need a watch, just buy any of the $50 watches from Casio, Timex or whomever that offer digital compasses on the watch.

I guess I don't get the attraction of a GPS with a digi compass. I mean walk a few feet and you are all set.

With television it is indeed a major inconvienience to get up and walk to the TV to change chanels, but when geocaching is it really a big deal to walk a few feet?

Next time you need a watch, just buy any of the $50 watches from Casio, Timex or whomever that offer digital compasses on the watch.

I guess I don't get the attraction of a GPS with a digi compass. I mean walk a few feet and you are all set.

With television it is indeed a major inconvienience to get up and walk to the TV to change chanels, but when geocaching is it really a big deal to walk a few feet?

It doesn't work the same way. Also, watch compasses only stay on for a few seconds to save on the battery. That'i petty useless.

Also, knowing where north is isn't the only thing an electronic compass is good for. When used in conjunction with the waypoint as a GOTO, you can gain a live bearing of the waypoint. That is, it becomes a realtime triangulation as you zero in on your target. That becomes handy when you find yourself in a twisty or nonexistent trail and you find yourself stopping more than moving.

Somtimes, you just don't have the space to walk 3 meters at 2-3MPH, and that's where an onboard electronic magnetic compass comes very handy.

You'll love it. This is the setup I have and it's great!

It doesn't work the same way. Also, watch compasses only stay on for a few seconds to save on the battery. That'i petty useless.

Also, knowing where north is isn't the only thing an electronic compass is good for. When used in conjunction with the waypoint as a GOTO, you can gain a live bearing of the waypoint. That is, it becomes a realtime triangulation as you zero in on your target. That becomes handy when you find yourself in a twisty or nonexistent trail and you find yourself stopping more than moving.

Somtimes, you just don't have the space to walk 3 meters at 2-3MPH, and that's where an onboard electronic magnetic compass comes very handy.

QUOTE (TotemLake @ Jan 26 2005, 11:29 AM)

QUOTE (JohnnyVegas @ Jan 25 2005, 09:37 PM)

Of course, for what Garmin and Magellan charge for and electronic compass, you can buy a bunch of real ones that do not need batteries. 

Yah but it doesn't include the same functions as an electronic compass that's merged in with the GPS technology. 

I couldn't have said it better myself!

I was in the middle of a giant briar patch yesterday and backing up and walking forward again just wasn't an option. I really don't care to know what direstion I am going. I just want to be able to stand still and it still point me to the cache. I am ordering a 60cs tonight when I get home from selling a rifle. I can't wait for the new toy. Thanks for all the comments.

Edited by tnfishdaddy
I was in the middle of a giant briar patch yesterday and backing up and walking forward again just wasn't an option. I really don't dare to know what direstion I am going. I just want to be able to stand still and it still point me to the cache. I am ordering a 60cs tonight when I get home from selling a rifle. I can't wait for the new toy. Thanks for all the comments.

If you had a Magellan (any Magellan), you could just use the "Northfinder" feature without having to move or spend $100 dollars extra for the electronic compass. :P

If you had a Magellan (any Magellan), you could just use the "Northfinder" feature without having to move or spend $100 dollars extra for the electronic compass. :lol:

For a Magellan (any Magellan :P ) it might be $100... but it's only $35 extra for the CS over the C at GPSDiscount.

:P