Ammo Can Availability?

CTKayak

So I've been thinking of placing my first cache for a long time now, and really all I need is a container at this point. From what I've read (and experienced), the best way to go for a nice, long lasting, waterproof container is the traditional ammo can. I've read the links on the forums where they can be purchased online, but I thought the cheapest would be to pick one or two up from a semi-local military surplus store and avoid the shipping costs. Not so, apparently.

Not being the typical patron of such a store, I thought about it for a while before braving it and stopping in to inevitably look out of place and confused. The place was empty, and after a little while the person working there grumpily hobbled out of his office and met me with a glare.

"Um, do you have any ammo cans?" I asked, feeling kind of silly.

"No!" he quickly fired back.

Not yet defeated, I asked if he knew where I could find one. The man readied for attack.

"Nowhere!" he barked condescendingly. "There's a war going on, you know! They're not sending them anymore!"

I backed up, raising my hands in a non-threatening "sorry didn't mean to act so stupid" way. Pardon me for being a girl in a military surplus store. But, I recalled from a posting a while back (which may or may not have been correct), in a time of war they theoretically should be more available, as they are used only once. Am I wrong? I posed the question to the shopkeeper, hands still raised in frustrated surrender.

"Yes, but... wouldn't that make them more available? Empties?"

Apparently not. They are being hoarded by the miliatary, he said, because as he pointed out, we are indeed involved in Iraq, and until that's over they're not sending home any more cans. The best I could do would be to go to a gun show, he said, knowing I would likely never do so.

So, I ask... Was I wrong? Was I completely looking in the wrong place? Was he simply a crazy old man who doesn't like to see a young woman enter his store-o'-testosterone? Or am I just confused? I guess the best way to get one is still online, despite the shipping charges. I just don't want to try again at another store, after this experience.

I think I know why the store was empty! :rolleyes:

I don't know what the problem was, but we've had no shortage around here. I don't know about the "only used once" part, I thought they were made to be reusable. I know some of the ones I've run across have Vietnam-era markings on them and are still in great shape. I seen stores with hundreds of WWII era cans, although those apparently go for a higher resale than your average can.

Shipping these is always kinda pricey, since they are a bit heavy, but I've had good results from "Cheaper Than Dirt" for things I can't find around here. If you don't have any other local source, they their website.

Maybe the dude...nah nevermind, he aint' worth it!

If his theory held true, then they wouldn't be shipping most surplus items and he'd be out of business.

Anyway, try Cheaperthandirt where you can get a six pack of cans for $19. Even with the $8 shipping its less than $5 a can and the shipping is the same whether you order 6 or 36 (I think up to 100 lbs), so you can save money by ordering in bulk and selling the excess to the locals.

If his theory held true, then they wouldn't be shipping most surplus items and he'd be out of business.

That's kind of what I thought. Either way, the experience was rather condescending. But, I thought maybe the guy's claims had some validity as this wasn't the first time I'd tried to get a can. Didn't put this in my anecdote, but when I was down in the Virgin Islands I ran into a military surplus store and was told the same thing... that the ammo cans were in short supply and that they weren't shipping them, or that the shipment was delayed. I thought maybe this was just because it was in the islands, where shipping anything can take weeks and cost an arm and a leg, but my recent experience (in Connecticut, by the way), made me wonder otherwise. I will probably go through cheaperthandirt, as suggested.

Crazy old man. <_<

When I first started looking for ammo can's I went to gun stores and sporting good stores.

I could not find them anyplace.

Then one day in my very small town I was in a farm store.

I was picking up something else when I went by there sporting good section.

The sporting good section was very small, like three shelfs of stuff and some ammo.

On the very bottom shelf was three ammo can's. :rolleyes:

I have looked at other farm type stores out of town and found them there too.

One of the surplus stores in our area still has the same old rusting out pile he has had for years. He thinks they are gold plated I think. About a month ago I told him if he would come down on his prices he might get some good business from the local geocachers. He had never even heard of the game, and didn't seem interested in changing his prices, so I told him that I would be getting mine from cheaperthandirt.com.

And I did... just got in 41 cans! They are now running a free S&H special if you order online and total order is over $150. Evidently there is no weight limit, because they came in four boxes and weighed well over 100lbs. The S&H charges were on the invoice, but credited back, a savings of $38+ This equalled to $3.33 per ammo can. Anyone visiting the Chattanooga, TN area I can arrange to sell a few, but not many because I have a bunch of hiding places picked out :rolleyes:

Edited by AB4N
How about this auction

<_< if you want a pallet of them :rolleyes:

That is how we do it here in Texas. One of our cachers, that lives close enough to FT. Hood, checks the auctions, buys a few palots, then we all buy from her. The last bunch, about two weeks ago, only cost us about $2.00each for our .50 cal cans and $2.50 for .30cal.

You may think that is a huge purchase, but check with your local caching group, see if there is an interest, check the auctions, have an event and distribute the cans. Do not forget to factor in a "little" for your time and gas.

In Austin, one of the geocachers has bid (and gotten) two separate pallets (maybe more) of ammo cans from Ft. Hood, just about an hour away. She then sells them to all the locals at pretty much cost. Someone usually supplies a truck and helps get them. I think we paid a couple of bucks for each 50 cal ammo can a year ago. The last pallet was of 30 cal cans. She posts it on the local board, then starts taking names of those interested. We even had an event to pick up our cans the first time.

First off, good for you, as a woman getting into this hobby!

Second, that guy doesn't deserve your business. Even if he is the only act in town, he shouldn't act like it. He is in the land of capitalism and competetive marketplaces.

Whether he is right or wrong is irrelevant in my opinion. He doesn't deserve one penny of yours. I'd probably buy elsewhere even if it cost more. (provided their attitude was better)

Are you young? Maybe he thought you are a high school punk trying to seem tough by buying military merchandise...

I think they are used more than once. They are awfully expensive to only be used once. I think if they were only used once, they would be made of some sort of plastic or something.

Maybe check your local gun stores, and if you have no luck (or the wrong attitude) there, go online. Wear your prettiest pink dress, just to test them out. :rolleyes:

Are you young? Maybe he thought you are a high school punk trying to seem tough by buying military merchandise...

I'm 23 (ooo, she admits her age!) so, not that young, but still passable as a college student if I try. I felt out of place as it was, though, because I was all dressy in my work clothes coming back from a meeting, maybe that did it. Not "rugged" enough looking, perhaps? I honestly have no idea where there is a gun store nearby, but I'll look into it; this military store is about 35 mins from me. But, agreed, he does not deserve my business. I know it's the stereotype, but he reminded me of that military guy from the Simpsons, in a way. Not too far from what I expected, actually, but it drives me nuts not to be taken seriously. Thanks again for the suggestions.

You can also find cans at places like Northern Tool and Equipment and occasionally Harbor Freight if you have them in your area. Flea Markets can also be a good source.

As for the surplus stores, find another one. The military has tightend the restrictions on what can be released to the public but ammo cans are DRMO items that are fairly common. In the past the guys running surplus stores "lived" at the DRMO sites picking up deals. Now, most owners will not go through the hassle and depend on picking up lots from other dealers. That increases costs and decreases their profits.

Edited by docwalker
The best I could do would be to go to a gun show, he said, knowing I would likely never do so.

I wouldn't totally write off the Gun Show experience until you try it. I live near the a fairgrounds where they have them regularily. They have more than just guns and knives so sometimes there is even cool stuff.

Yes, you have to put up with and try to ignore the militant right wing stuff. But that alone has been quite an education for a tried and true bleeding heart liberal such as myself. :lol: You get to actually see how the other half lives, and it tends to reaffirm your convictions. Also, there are quite a few nice people there.

Plus, the ammo cans are available at usually a pretty good price. Good Luck!

Hey, CTKayak, don't feel alone.

Unless you walk in wearing camo, the guys in the surplus store here look at you, and ask if they can help you (accompanied by a really curious look)...because they're pretty sure you're in the WRONG place. But, at least they're nice guys. If anything they joke around with you... and never even call you a 'dumb girl". So, don't be intimidated by the crochety old man... there are other places that would be happy to help us!

You'd think the surplus stores would be used to anything BUT the stereotype customer. These days they get everything from magicians (lock pick sets), to geocachers, to the high school kid looking for camo...

Good Luck!!

How about this auction

:grin: if you want a pallet of them :grin:

That is how we do it here in Texas. One of our cachers, that lives close enough to FT. Hood, checks the auctions, buys a few palots, then we all buy from her. The last bunch, about two weeks ago, only cost us about $2.00each for our .50 cal cans and $2.50 for .30cal.

You may think that is a huge purchase, but check with your local caching group, see if there is an interest, check the auctions, have an event and distribute the cans. Do not forget to factor in a "little" for your time and gas.

Cherokee, is your ammocan supplier planning on coming up to the the NTX challenge? If so, might she bring a pickup load of cans? I bet she'd sell out fast!

--Vic303

Edited by Vic303

Its too bad you had that experience with surplus stores. There are 2 locally in So. Cal here. They both are very friendly to all. I recently saw a young woman with 2 children, and she was treated very nicely. At this place 30-cal cans are $2.95 and 50-cal cans for 4.95.

I went to a gun show last summer. They had 3 30-cal cans for $11 and 3 50-cal cans for $13. These were in excellent shape, like new. They had lesser shape ones for less.

That old crotchety surplus store chap is either clueless, doesn't like women in his store, or is just plain lazy.

There's plenty of ammo cans out there (thousands!). Lots of Ammo Cans!

Adam Smith had something going with his economic theories. I don't know where you are located, CT, but the closer you get to a military installation (eg source), the more prevalent and less expensive the cans are. The link above can get you to a home page where a the closest DRMO is located, and surplus stores in that vicinity are certain to have very inexpensive ammo cans. For example, being close to the source, I can buy onsies and twosies off the shelf for $3.00 or less at a surplus store.

Oh, DRMO is "Defense Reutilization & Marketing Office." The "DRMO count" simply refers to a pallet of cans, and the quantity is merely a function of their count- in other words, however many they felt safe loading on the pallet, and is not necessarily always standard.

"Nowhere!" he barked condescendingly. "There's a war going on, you know! They're not sending them anymore!"

What a rude jerk at that store - all the more so as ammo cans seem readily available, at least around here. The last four surplus stores I've checked in the last month had piles of them.

Definitely take your business elsewhere.

Unfortunately, they don't sell single pallets of ammo cans in my area. I'd have to buy 12 pallets at once!

I guess I could just open an ammo can store for geocachers... <_<

Sounds like a good plan to us.... B)

Surprisingly, the wife thought it was a good idea too :blink:

I have a 4x8 trailer, so that's big enough for 2 pallets at a time. The problem is getting them unloaded. I don't have a forklift, so I'd have to remove the cans one by one and stack them in the garage. It would take 6 trips to pick up the 12 pallets. Fortunately, I live close enough to the base, however that's a lot of time and work involved to drive there, load up, drive home, unload, and repeat 5X. Then there's the resale to cachers part. How many local cachers would buy them at $3-4 per can? The remaining ones would have to be shipped, adding a couple dollars to the price of each one. I guess if there's really an interest, I'll look into the details more. If there's not an interest, I don't want 1000 ammo cans taking up my entire garage.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone
Surprisingly, the wife thought it was a good idea too :)

I have a 4x8 trailer, so that's big enough for 2 pallets at a time. The problem is getting them unloaded. I don't have a forklift, so I'd have to remove the cans one by one and stack them in the garage. It would take 6 trips to pick up the 12 pallets. Fortunately, I live close enough to the base, however that's a lot of time and work involved to drive there, load up, drive home, unload, and repeat 5X. Then there's the resale to cachers part. How many local cachers would buy them at $3-4 per can? The remaining ones would have to be shipped, adding a couple dollars to the price of each one. I guess if there's really an interest, I'll look into the details more. If there's not an interest, I don't want 1000 ammo cans taking up my entire garage.

Couldn't you just store them outside? its not like theyre going to go bad that way. Of course you'll have to come up with a good story about why you have a couple thousand stacked around.... maybe you can claim to be starting your own private military force? :)

Mailing them would probably kill any price advantage there so heavy... Somtimes I wonder how much cheaper than dirt makes on their cans, but maybe if you buy by the SEMI they get even better prices?

Yes they could be stacked outside, but then the neighbors might wonder about my armory :) I'd rather avoid the questions and put them in the garage.

The only way to mail them (and break even on the cost) would be to sell them in higher quantities. USPS Priority mail starts at like $3.85 and adds by weight from there. UPS and FedEx have similar policies. It would probably cost the same to send 4 in one box as it would be to send 2 boxes of 1 each.

I'm wondering if you'd need to box them, or if you could just put postage and a label on the side of the can and mail it that way? Obviously, for more than one, you'd want to box and mail, but for just one?

The post office is pretty picky about packaging, and I wouldn't trust UPS to not dent the heck out of an unpackaged ammo box. It at least needs to be wrapped in cardboard