New Gps News And Talk Site

gpsgab

Hello Everyone!! :D

I am the administrator of a new site called GPS Gab. I started this site because I enjoy GPS Technology and am fascinated with it's funtionality. I have live news feeds from the technology sector and update the site with GPS news almost daily. I also am buiilding an extensive list of links and quite possibly may have GPS update software on the site at some point. We have a nice big forum with a lot of nice new topics to post in also!

So, stop by and say hello and if you have any comments, gripes, or problems, email me at admin@gpsgab.com

Please Visit http://www.gpsgab.com

Happy Hunting!

Mike

Admin for GPSGab.com

Here is an excerpt from the GC forum posting guidleines:

Commercial Postings/Solicitations are not allowed. Commercial content as a direct or indirect (either intentional or non-intentional) attempt to solicit customers through a forum post will be edited or deleted.

Im not a mod, but I feel as if your post is an attempt at solicitation and doesnt belong in this forum. I have sent a report.

Thanks for the link, but I think your post is probably gonna be closed:

Commercial Postings/Solicitations are not allowed. Commercial content as a direct or indirect (either intentional or non-intentional) attempt to solicit customers through a forum post will be edited or deleted. Notwithstanding the above, Groundspeak reserves the right to include limited commercial content in this Forum, in its sole discretion.

:rolleyes:

Edit: Dang! WH beat me to it!

Edited by cache_test_dummies

I don’t see anything wrong with the site’s link being posted here. I actually find this site informative, and it does not appear commercial to me. I will be adding this the Golden Horseshoe Geocachers link page, shameless self promotion, for others to see and use. Thank you for posting the link to the site.

As a side note, did the negative responders to this message take any time to look at the site before slamming your post?

Edited by Keith Watson
As a side note, did the negative responders to this message take any time to look at the site before slamming your post?

Nowhere in our posts did we make a single negative comment about the website or its content. We just expressed our opinion that it does not belong in this forum. It is ultimately up to TPTB to decide whether it violates forum guidelines or not.

Did you take any time to read my post before slamming it? :rolleyes:

I specifically thanked the poster for providing the link, and then simply indicated that I thought the topic was likely to be closed.

Yes, I did take time to look at the site before I posted. It was my visit to the site which caused me to post the way I did.

Wow, now I'm really sorry I posted this... If you're referring to the banner ads about being commercialized, I don't receive funds for those, I sucked them off the manufacturers websites and thought I would put them up for the heck of it. The google ads are a way for me to pay for my hosting and software costs...Maybe this post should be closed. I thought maybe people who enjoyed this type of thing would enjoy my site also. If the mods wanna bring this post down, they can since I started a nice little fight here.

Nice site! Unless the fact that you have a couple of banner ads constitutes a commercial site, I see nothing commercial about it. If the presence of the banner ads classifies the site as commercial then I would imagine that many of the regional caching association sites should be considered commercial as well. I can't imagine why some people feel the need or desire to toss cold water on your announcement of what appears to be a very helpful and informative website. :rolleyes:

It looks like an informative site but it might be a hard sell for geocachers when you’ve only been a member for 9 days and you have no hides or finds. It makes me a little suspicious of the nature of the site.

From the Forum Guidelines (pertinent passage bolded):

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.
QUOTE (TahoeJoe @ Jan 25 2005, 01:23 PM)

It looks like an informative site but it might be a hard sell for geocachers when you’ve only been a member for 9 days and you have no hides or finds. It makes me a little suspicious of the nature of the site.

From the Forum Guidelines (pertinent passage bolded):

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect. 

Where did I not show respect? I complemented him on his site and gave an opinion. Respect my opinion! Edited by TahoeJoe

I do not see a problem here, that site is about GPS technology, not geocaching. There are lots of people that use GPS technology that are not into geocaching. And there are lots of geocachers that do not understand GPS technology.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Way to welcome a newcomer, folks. :lol:

Posts have been closed before when the site linked is selling something. If gpsgab was selling something on their site, that would be commercial, but since they're just providing info, doesn't really count.

Recent thread on this subject:

Promoting complimentary sites

Thread Jeremy closed for being commercial (he's selling stuff on his site):

Helpwanted!

Edited by robert

Thanks for all the kind words about the site, guys. Please, if you do have anything to contribute, please register and post some stuff. There is a whole forum for whatever you want to talk about. Right now I'm trying to get content into the site and can't do that without the users and visitors! Whatever you guys wanna chat about...that's what the Gab is for!

Thanks

Mike

Edited by gpsgab

I am finding GPS Gab to be an interesting and informative site. I wouldn.t care if there was an option to buy anything. Just say NO. Just today saw information about the Boeing contract to build the newest GPS satellites and information about the newest Explorists (400, 500, 600) units. Some messages on THIS board are still speculating about new features. Why speculate. Read it. And by the way, all 3 are claimed to have amoung other things a "High Speed USB Data Port". All this available to view WITHOUT the need to even register. Where's the harm?