Cleaning Hydration Backpacks

Papa Bill

Take hydration bladder and ferret into shower with you. Lather up ferret, insert into hydration pack, seal tightly, shake until desired cleanliness of pack is reached, open pack, release ferret, and rinse both thoroughly. :D

:o

I don't think getting naked with a ferret is the safest thing to do. :lol:

Take hydration bladder and ferret into shower with you. Lather up ferret, insert into hydration pack, seal tightly, shake until desired cleanliness of pack is reached, open pack, release ferret, and rinse both thoroughly.

Sorry, that won't work--all the ferrets I've witnessed get mellow in the tub and curl up to sleep in enclosed places--so you wouldn't have adequate agitation. In fact, the tub's my preferred place for clipping their nails so no, no problem being naked w/a ferret!

Heh,

Randy

I'd heartily recommend manufacturers' cleaning products. Bleach and other solvents can prematurely age the bladder. At 100+ degrees F, a bladder rupturing on your back is not a significant emotional event (indeed, it may even be somewhat welcome), but it certainly can be bothersome if not life-threatening in colder temperatures.

Take hydration bladder and ferret into shower with you. Lather up ferret, insert into hydration pack, seal tightly, shake until desired cleanliness of pack is reached, open pack, release ferret, and rinse both thoroughly.  <_<

:blink:

I don't think getting naked with a ferret is the safest thing to do. :blink:

Getting naked with one in the shower isnt the problem ( most of the REALLY painfull spots are out of their reach) it's the fact that the ferret will steal the bladder and hide it where it will take you approx 3.5 days to dig it out! B)

Trust me, I'm owned by ferrets! :tired:

Both Camelbak and Blackhawk Industries(Hydrastorm Systems) make excellent cleaning kits, collapsible reservoir dryers and the Camelbak cleaning tabs are great. I've used both for 10 years in both extremes-Missouri winters and the Persian Gulf in Summer. Watch the bleach- I'd use a slight amount of Dawn and hot water, works great.

Cleaning in your shower may introduce unwanted germs even while cleaning. (dont want to flush your own system while trying to hydrate)

Stick to the name brands for quality, the cost is worth it in the long run, mine have lasted many years with the original parts

Edited by Savoy 6
I just use an old cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels to keep mine open and the air circulating to dry it out.

OK, this is almost funny. I was just changing an empty paper towel roll, and that reminded me I hadn't cleaned my bladder from caching last weekend (with the tri-eyed kitty, had a BLAST!). Well, when I went to grab my bladder out of my pack, it suddenly hit me that after draining it last weekend, I left the cap sitting on top of the TV.

Back at the hotel.

In California.

3000 miles away.

<sigh>

They say forgetfulness is the first sign of getting old.

I forget what the second sign is.

the plastic "thingie" to keep the bladder open in order to dry it.

I just use an old cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels to keep mine open and the air circulating to dry it out.

They are also very useful for storing your BBQ grill tongs in the kitchen drawer!

The tubes that is, not the plastic thingie.