Finding Caches -- 1 For 4

ghostly_vision

Hi!

We are new to geocaching and, so far, are 1 for 4 on finds. We're thinking it's "us" on why the first 3 weren't found. We were so happy when we found our 4th!

My question is .... When should we start logging that we didn't find anything?

I'd feel kinda embarrassed if we said we didn't find it and the stasher comes back with "it was right there the whole time".

When should we start logging that we didn't find anything

The minute you don't find it. How else is the owner going to know that people are looking for it?

There is no need to be embarrased by a DNF. We all have our share. I have logged dozens of DNFs where someone came along a few days later and found the cache easily.

Your DNF is an important part of the cache history and provides valuable information to the owner and other geocachers. First, there is a chance that the cache isn't there. A pattern of DNFs will alert the owner that there could be a problem. If you don't log your DNF it will take longer for that patern to develop.

Second, your DNF might tell the owner that his cache is a bit harder than he rated it. If you're not finding 1 star difficutly caches then there is a good chance they should be rated higher than 1 star.

Finally, feedback is one of the reasons people place caches. They want to know if people are out there looking for it, even if they don't find it. Most owners enjoy reading the logs and DNF's often make the most interesting logs.

Edited by briansnat

If I am in a hurry and don't think I put in a good effort, or it was dark, I won't bother logging a DNF. If I think I looked in the appropriate location (as indicated by the hint), then I'll log a DNF.

Anyway, don't be discouraged. Just make sure you search a wide enough area before considering quitting. Also, always think about where YOU would place the cache.

GeoBC (has had above average DNFs!)

I think the advice to log the DNF is sound, but at the same time I don't know if that should apply to someone who hasn't ever found a cache yet.

If your DNF log states that you are new to caching and haven't yet found any cache I think you have provided a sound disclaimer, but I would defintely encourage you to make that disclaimer in the log.

Everyone does things their own way, but before I go looking for a cache I generally do read the logs, at least the most recent ones. If I see that the last person logged a DNF I might pass that cache up until/unless someone finds it in favor of a cache that was recently reported as found and in good shape.

Of course I can always check the stats for the person making the log, but...

If I see that a new cacher who hasn't ever found a cache couldn't find it that would mean something different to me than if someone with 100+ finds couldn't find it.

I do hope you don't take any insult at my suggestion because certainly none is intended, but lots of new cachers have reported trouble with their first few attempts ( I certainly had trouble initially) at finding a cache and it is simply because they haven't yet developed the "cacher's eye" which is usually well developed after finding just a few.

Starting out with caches that are not rated to difficut also helps when you are getting started, I see the find you posted was a 2.5, what were the caches that yoo did not find rated at.

You might also check the regional forums for any cache events in your area and get some tips from locals or even go on a search with some local cachers.

If it makes you feel any better there are two cachers by me who are in the 1k club - for no finds.

I logged the only DNFs that two different caches have ever had. One of them had over 80 finds.

Find a local and ask them to show you the ropes. It helps a TON, trust me.

I think the advice to log the DNF is sound, but at the same time I don't know if that should apply to someone who hasn't ever found a cache yet.

Why? The point of DNFs is to record failed attempts. Not failed attempts after you've had x amoutn of experience.

If your DNF log states that you are new to caching and haven't yet found any cache I think you have provided a sound disclaimer, but I would defintely encourage you to make that disclaimer in the log.

As an owner the first thing I check when I get a DNF from a geocacher I don't know is their find count. That should tell me their level of experience.

If I see that a new cacher is having problems finding one of my caches I will email him/her with additional hints, so that might be another incentive to log the DNF's

I do the same thing, so if they don't log their DNF, I won't be able to help.

I almost always post a DNF. My criteria are that I got to the posted coordinates and spent any amount of time looking for the cache. Like RK, my DNF seems to hover around the 10-11% area. Yes, I find it somewhat embarassing when a relatively new cacher comes along behind me and locates a cache that I've logged as DNF. Especially when they say how easy the find was. But as others above have stated, logging a DNF provides insight to the cache owner on the status of their cache.

There is no shame in a DNF! I DNF'ed my first attempt, nearly DNF'ed my second, then spent about 10 minutes finding my third attempt. I took my kids to the site of my third attempt to let them try. My 8 year old son walked right to it. So much for my eagle eye!

Besides the great reasons already listed here, logging your DNF's will help you...first by keeping your stats accurate, and second by motivating you. Seeing those frown faces will certainly make you want to improve, and you will. When you feel ready, go back and try those again.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you go back and find the cache, can't you edit your DNF log to a "Found It!" and change the frown to a smiley?

Also, are you taking your GPSr too literally? Remember, the accuracy may only be plus or minus 10 feet or more. Sometimes my readings have been within a foot or two, sometimes off by 20 feet. On Gimli's Secret Window, I was off by over 200' (bad reception) and only found it with a lot of luck. Whenever I'm having trouble, I just widen my search area.

Another suggestion..are you using the encrypted hints? I used them for my first few finds, and since then I first try to find the cache without the hint. It just depends on the hider whether the hint is a helpful clue or a downright spoiler.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you go back and find the cache, can't you edit your DNF log to a "Found It!" and change the frown to a smiley?

You can, but I don't see why anyone would want to. First, you're changing the history of the cache and making it look easier than it is. The number of DNFs sprinkled among the logs is a good indicator to future seekers as to how hard the cache really is.

Second, if you edit a log the owner doesn't get a notification of your find.

Also, are you taking your GPSr too literally? Remember, the accuracy may only be plus or minus 10 feet or more. Sometimes my readings have been within a foot or two, sometimes off by 20 feet. On Gimli's Secret Window, I was off by over 200' (bad reception) and only found it with a lot of luck. Whenever I'm having trouble, I just widen my search area.

This is key and a very common novice mistake. They expect the GPS to take them directly to the cache, when in reality 30, 40 and 50 feet off are quite common when you factor in your GPS's EPE and that of the cache placer's.

Edited by briansnat
what were the caches that yoo did not find rated at.

They were about the same level 2.5 or below

Also, are you taking your GPSr too literally?

Hmmmmm... maybe I am? But when we went, my kids and I fanned out when we didn't see the cache right away.

We had a great time on the adventure and were thrilled to get to where we were and see that the person stashing it gave accurate information each time.

are you using the encrypted hints?

Yes! Beacuse the kids think it's a treasure hunt and they like solving the "clues" to get to it.

We will try 4 new, easy ones this weekend and see if we can get the hang of it again.

Thank you all for the advice! I'll keep you posted on how it went!

I think even if you didn't look long & hard enough, you should log it. I think my stats now are four found and one not found find. I'm convinced that the one that I didn't find, I would have found if everything hadn't just been buried in a foot of snow. I logged it as a DNF anyhow, even though I searched for it for about two hours.

The one I found on Sunday was also under a foot of snow and took me an hour and a half to find once I was in the area. Needless to say, the victory was a sweet one; maybe even a bit sweeter because of my earlier defeat. My log history is 100% honest and that gives me a warm fuzzy.

I would have to wonder about someone's logs with an extraordinary low number of DNFs (especially early in their career). They're either God's Gift to Geocaching or they're full of !@$%^.

YMMV

My question is .... When should we start logging that we didn't find anything?

When you don't find one! :lol:

There's no harm in not finding the cache. It's not just newbies that don't find them sometimes, though it might seem that way. I'm over 500 finds and I still get a DNF every now and then. Sure it's frustrating, but if it were a "guaranteed-to-find hobby", where would the fun and challenge be? Even CCCooperAgency with around 8000 finds (plus or minus) misses a few. Drives her NUTS but it happens. :o

Good luck!

edit: If you later find the caches you logged a DNF on before, just leave that log and add the new one. You visited it twice (or more) so should have as many logs on the page. Even if have 2 DNFs and 1 find on the same cache, you should have 3 logs total there. Helps add to the history of the cache and doesn't affect your "stats" in any way. :D

Edited by robert

You can, but I don't see why anyone would want to. First, you're changing the history of the cache and making it look easier than it is. The number of DNFs sprinkled among the logs is a good indicator to future seekers as to how hard the cache really is.

Second, if you edit a log the owner doesn't get a notification of your find.

edit: If you later find the caches you logged a DNF on before, just leave that log and add the new one. You visited it twice (or more) so should have as many logs on the page. Even if have 2 DNFs and 1 find on the same cache, you should have 3 logs total there. Helps add to the history of the cache and doesn't affect your "stats" in any way. :lol:

Oh I get it! Thanks for the correction!

I always log my DNF's. No need to get embarrassed over it. Sometimes, it is just the fun of trying to find a cache but worth the effort of just seeing something different then the usual things one sees around their neighborhood. It does get irritating at times but remember never to give up. Someone may find the very same cache you overlooked. Anyways, welcome aboard and happy caching.

I have 2 DNF's on a cache that many new cachers have found easily - it just vexes me!! As a cache owner I like the DNFs as much as founds - good stories and good feedback. No embarassment needed - just tell your story. Include pictures if you like. Some of my favorite entries have actually been DNFs and why they came out that way. Also alerts me to potential problems at the hide or with my descriptions.