Why Does Everyone Love Garmin?

Forgive me if these sorts of threads cause trouble, but I need help.

I've been lurking for a while now, and I get the idea here that Garmin is the way to go. But I'm seriously considering another brand.

I have a yellow eTrex, and I hate it. Aside from the fact that it isn't too sensitive, I don't like the chunky shape and I dislike the buttons on the side. I'm left handed and the buttons are set up for righties. It's way hard to use.

I'm looking at the Magellan eXplorer 300 (e-compass for under $160) or the Meridian Platinum, or the Lowrance iFinder PhD (why not have your iPod in your GPS).

Am I missing sometthing? Why is it that everyone seems to recomend Garmin?

Tom

I'm looking at the Magellan eXplorer 300 (e-compass for under $160) or the Meridian Platinum, or the Lowrance iFinder PhD (why not have your iPod in your GPS).

No, I don't think you're missing anything (although I wouldn't consider the eXplorist due to the lack of any computer connection). The three brands all make good receivers, but Garmin currently has a lead in market share.

Lowrance came out with some good products long ago and their GM100 was the first handheld with downloadable maps. Then they announced the iFinder but were years late in finally shipping it. Killed the sales of their existing products and drove their customers to other makes. I believe there were some corporate rearrangements that resulted in GPS receiver development being virtually ignored for a long time. Now they're coming out with some innovative designs but it'll take awhile for 3rd party support and consumer awareness to equal that for Garmin and Magellan.

Magellan had some early performance and quality issues but have had good products for years now starting with the 315/330 series and the Meridians/SporTraks. I was disappointed by the lack of interfaces on the early eXplorists - the 400/500/600 look better and should give Garmin some good competition.

People tend to recommend the brand they have since they're most familiar with it and at the moment that's Garmin more often than not.

Edited by peter

I'm one of the guys that push Garmin. Before I tell you why I want you to know that Magellian is a fine GPS as is the Lowrance line.

It is much like the Ford Chevy debate, each of them have their advocates.

As far as why I like Garmin,

1. My father is a pilot and every GPS system he has had both military and civilian has been a Garmin for as long as I can remember.

2. Garmin is American owned and built. Built in Olathe Kansas, not more than 30 miles from my home. Magellan is a french owned company owned by Thales. Lowrance is also an American owned company that started in Missouri as a fish finder/depth finder company. They are now based in Oklahoma. Garmin started as an aerospace company and has always been.

3. Garmin is the best customer service company in the world in any industry.

That is why I like Garmin. Also note that these facts are as I understand and may be incorrect to some extent. But all in all I know that Garmin makes a great, rugged, reliable instrument.

I don't hear bad things about Lowrance, they make a good GPS. Magellan missed the boat with the Explorist. I'd drop it from your list.

The next generation explorist should fix the issue which as has been said is one of connecting it to your computer.

In Garmin the newer color etrex's are reported as having better reception than the older models. They still have a patch antanea. Magellan uses the Patch in their explorist line. Maybe it will be as sensative as the newer Garmins, or maybe it will be on a par with the original eTrex (that you don't like) I have not read enough feedback in the forums to have a feel for the explorist reception.

Of those on your list I'd consider the Lowrance, the Platnium and instead of the Explorist think about a Sport Track Pro(though the low rez screen may not interest you).

Yes I'm a Garmin fan.

My first GPS and that was quite a few year ago was a Garmin because that is the only company that had a reputation for quality gps units. I have owned 4 since and the only reason I have bought a new one was to have the latest and greatest and I passed the old ones on to my sons and my wife. They are all still working just like the day I first bought them. I always stick to a product that serves me well and a product that has excellent service which Garmin does. IMHO

2. Garmin is American owned and built. Built in  Olathe Kansas, not more than 30 miles from my home. Magellan is a french owned company owned by Thales. Lowrance is also an American owned company that started in  Missouri as a fish finder/depth finder company. They are now based in Oklahoma. Garmin started as an aerospace company and has always been.

Thanks for these. It does mean something to me to buy an American made product. Also, customer service can be really important. I tried to call Magellan tech sopport and was left on hold for more than an hour (it was their 800 fee so I just put it on speakerphone). They never did answer.

The only problem with the Garmin line is that to get to a unit with an electronic Compass (omitting the eTrex Vista because I hate the buttons) I'd have to spend more than $400. In Magellan it's less than $300 and with the Lowrance just about $200.

I'll have to look into the Lowrance.

Tom

Garmin exploited the GPS market like no other manufacturer. They created units for marine, mobile, auto, and aviation use and they saw the potential for handhelds. They gained market share by offering features, selection, and map/charting options at a price point that was hard to beat. Lowrance never really got in the game despite being a technology leader - they underestimated the demand for small, hand portable units and they were very expensive. They still don't offer a color handheld. Garmin also has a reputation for excellent customer service, even with units long past warranty. They now have the largest product line of consumer GPS units of any manufacturer...maybe too large (do we really need the 60 and MAP 60?) And they work pretty good, too.

I get the idea here that Garmin is the way to go. But I'm seriously considering another brand.

When I started with this forum it was about 50% Magellan and about 50% Garmin with a few other units. Lowrance wasn't out at that time.

There has been over time a definate shift towards Garmin.

To me, this speaks volumes.

It's human nature to want to be different. However, with evolving electronics, it makes sense to have a growing and thriving company backing up our Hardware and updating our software. You've got that with Garmin.

Garmin's stock has a PE ratio of 26 (this is a little high but it shows that the market highly values the stock, maybe to the point of overpricing), Market Cap of $5 billion, and an earnings per share of $1.96. It's a big, strong company.

Lowrance has a PE of 13 (it might be a good buy), a strong earnings per share of $2.20, but a market cap of only $154 million. But, their earnings are slowing. Garmin is 32 times bigger than Lowrance based on Market Capital.

I'm a Garmin guy.

Edited by Rubberhead
The only problem with the Garmin line is that to get to a unit with an electronic Compass (omitting the eTrex Vista because I hate the buttons) I'd have to spend more than $400. In Magellan it's less than $300 and with the Lowrance just about $200.

The Garmin Geko301 has a magnetic compass and sells for around $180 and if you also want detailed maps the 76S sells for about $290.

I'm on my 4th Garmin. I like their products and their service. I bought my G 45 used. Then I bought a GPS III, used. Around that time, Garmin offered an upgrade to the GPS III+ for USD$150 (or thereabouts) which, afaik, was unheard of. I jumped on the deal. A few years later, my unit no longer picked up satellites. Not sure what happened. Since it was out of warranty, I opened it up to see if there was a broken connection to the BNC connector. I couldn't resolve the problem so I sent it in to Garmin. A week later, they sent it back, repaired, and they didn't charge me for it...and I told them it was definitely out of warranty!

They definitely earned my loyalty. I wish they would provide memory card support in their handheld models, though. That's the only issue that _might_ cause me to switch to Magellan. But for now, I don't see anything in the Magellan line that would make me change over. Of course, I've never used a Magellan, I've only read the specs.

Oh, the other reason I like sticking with Garmin is because there is a lot of support for them. If software supports proprietary GPS protocols, the first protocols are usually for Garmin. This is also important for user-made uploadable maps. The more people making maps for your brand of GPS, the more likely you'll be able to find the one you'll need.

Having said all that, there are a few people around here (Vancouver, BC, Canada) in my 4x4 circle who like their Magellans. We are more price-sensitive up here due to tariffs, taxes, exchange so the Magellans can sometimes be a very good value.

GeoBC

Edited by geobc

To emphasize thg=is, let me tell you my Garmin love story. On my 60C I was using a differnet 1/2 size mini USB than what comes with the GPS. I stripped out the USB port on my 60C. It was hard to maintain connection. It still worked but I had to hold it and jam in the cable during transfers. Anyway, my warrenty was about to expire, so I sent the unit to Garmin for repair. They received the unit on a Thursday evening, and I had the unit back the following Tuesday, with upgraded firmware, spacers under the battery leads, and batteries.

Any of the other GPS manufacturers will have to do a lot to sway me away from Garmin.

Please take this in good spirit:

2. Garmin is American owned and built. Built in Olathe Kansas, not more than 30 miles from my home.

Magellan is a french owned company owned by Thales.

According to

Magellan history

Magellan was an American company founded in 1986 and only aquired by Thales in 2001.

According to

Magellan locations

Magellan's Corporate Headquarters are in Santa Clara, California, and their GPS receivers are manufactured in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

According to their Careers page their only current Engineering/Manufacturing job vacancy is in the US.

Only the recent parent company is French.

But I am British and am equally happy to buy a French or American product.

What I really wanted to say is that I bought my first and only GPSr a year ago after reading many product reviews and chose, with no prior brand affiliation, a Magellan Sportrak Pro.

I'm very pleased with it. It is awesomely accurate, holds lock under wet trees and has all the features I think I could want.

Having said that I haven't tried a Garmin to compare. I've read many postings about both brands and I'm quite sure they both produce excellent products, albeit each with their own "quirks".

I don't know what Magellan's support is like because I've had no need to contact them. I've read the occasional good and bad posting about both, but I'm sure they both generally provide very good support.

To kachadurian , forget the Magellan eXplorer 300 - no PC connection. For a magnetic compass I use one with a magnetised needle on a mechanical pivot - very cheap, no batteries to run out and if the GPSr fails I've still got a compass (and a map of course).

My 0.02 pence, cents, euro or whatever. Eddy [uK]

I have a yellow eTrex, and I hate it. Aside from the fact that it isn't too sensitive, I don't like the chunky shape and I dislike the buttons on the side. I'm left handed and the buttons are set up for righties. It's way hard to use.

Tom

LOL, never heard any extrex described as chunky...

that aside, all gps have some reception problems under cover. if you remember to keep your etrex's anteanna skyward it should do ok. if you get a chance you should compare it to another etrex, if yours is really flaky perhaps its damaged?

if you don't like the side mounted buttons your going to have change units :D . in the mean time you should try using the unit in your right (non-dominate) hand.

I don't know the exact features of those models, but I would go for a connection point, and maps. Expandable memory is nice too, something Garmin doesn't seem to like to put in *cheap* (relative) units . The merdian can take a SD card, some Ifinders take CF's I think.

Good question. It would be nice if someone had some data about gps sales. Like how much markert share does Garmin have? I"d guess it has more than magellan. I sometimes think maybe pricing plays into the that alot, whats the very cheapest (shelf price, yes deals/sales/etc can affect price) handheld on the market and who makes it? I think its garmins Geko 101. Add in whatever else factors in that has garmin with a bigger market share, then realize most people probably favor their own toys.(if they totally hated it, they wouldn't use it long).

or at least thats how I explain it.

I originally used a Thales/Magellan product at work a few years ago, and I don't recall the model, but it was slow, clunky, and a pain to use. I later looked at several GPS units at a local retailer, and found a couple Garmin units which were very easy/user friendly compared to the Magellans and I think a lowrance unit. I ended up with a Garmin (GPSmap76S), and have been very happy with it. I have required service twice - both times, Garmin's customer service was WAY above the bar, and they have yet to charge me for service! You can't beat that, in my opinion!!

JB

To each their own. I started with a Palm GPS sleeve which worked, but of course wasn't optimal. My next GPS was a Meridian. I was looking at Garmins, but it was a gift and after using it for years I wouldn't switch to anything else because I'm happy with it.

My wife started with 2 Garmins and then after caching with me wanted to switch to a Magellan as well. Since she has mentioned that it is a lot easier to change names or coords on it and likes the quad antenna.

I've noticed most places that only carry a few GPSs only carry Garmin so people are exposed to them more. Doesn't mean they are any better, just more advertised. I figure people just pick one and then stick with it because that's what they are used to. Either one will get you to a cache. And if you post a question needing help with a Magellan you'll see there are a ton of people using them too.

I originally purchased a Magellan because of the SD card slot. I've stuck with them because I've been very satisfied with their products and their customer service. Joani has always used Garmins and is happy with them. My answer: buy one of each. How can you go wrong? :D

--Marky

Unless someone has a problem with their unit (or any purchase for that matter), they typically recommend what they own. It's just human nature.

Another reason beyond that is once you own a specific brand, there's an investment you might have made in various software & accessories which can be used with a new purchase. In my case, the license for MapSource City Select allowed me to use it with my 76CS for no additional fee (a savings of about $100 if I switched to a different vendor). I also could use the power cords (AC and auto), the external antenna and the mount base I already owned for my GPS V. Buying those same accessories for a different model from a different vendor would have significantly increased my investment in a new unit.

Find the model that meets your specific needs (features, values, etc) and is in your price range and get it.

That's absolutely not true. In addition to the Vista there are the eTrex Summit and Geko 301 which are under $200 and the Map 76S which is under $300. Also the excellent Map 60CS can be had for as little as $360 if you shop around.

BTW, I'm not sure why you don't like the Vista because they are actually designed to be used in the left hand. You'll find this fact to be a source of complaint for many righties.

As far as the electronic compass itself, its a nice to have thing, but far from a necessity in a GPS unit. If the trade off is getting a better unit sans compass, I'd go with that and buy an $10 handheld compass.

The Best Geocache seeking device i ever had, was the Meridian Platinum.

I have had several Magellans and Garmins.

Ive experimented with the tracklogging and trip computer info of most of the GPS units, and find that Garmins are better with tracklogging, and the Trip odometer is usually more accurate in a Garmin than a Megellan. Don't know why, but with all my hikes ive ever done, all my Magellans, always came up short on the Trip Odometer, with a reading of approx. 85 percent of the true Distance. Of the Garmins ive ever had, I found the GPS V, and 60C the most accurate.

In some ways, I wish I still had the Meridian Platinum that I sold, because it had some features that are lacking in any garmin, like sorting all the waypoints in memory to NEAREST, where no garmin can do that, also the Memory card feature is good to have. Also the 3 Axis Electronic compass in the Platinum, was better than any garmin ive used.

The ETrex Vista was the one purchase that gave me reservations about it from the very start, and it had always performed poorly as a tracklogger, caused by poor accuracy. Always wanted to sell the thing, but the problems with the big rubberband around it and the ribbon connector to the display module is a problem, so im stuck with this thing.

The GPS units ive had:

Magellan GPS 4000XL 12 Ch, ColorTrak, 315, Platinum

Garmin III, IIIplus, V, V

GPS units that i currently have:

Magellan SporTrak Color

Garmin 76S, 60C, Vista

Edited by GOT GPS?

I have used both Garmins, and Mags, and prefer the Garmins. The main concern I had with my Sportrak Map (beside the cracking case which was fixed with no charge) was the tendancy for Mags to "lag" I would often overshoot a cache then the unit would catch up with me and tell me to turn around. My wife would walk right to the area and wait for me to come back (she was using our old Garmin 12) I found that if I stopped and waited for a minute or so when I go to within about 100 feet that the unit would "catch up" with me and be fine. But, I am impatient and tended not to wait like I should. My new unit, a Garmin GPS V, does not have this quirk, and has been great to use.

Also both times that I had service issues they were resolved quickly and easily with Garmin. But, I also had fairly quick service from Magellan concerning the defective case.

All in all both brands are good but the Garmin units are more to my taste.

Have a great Adventure

Edited by Gary and Mary Adventurers
Forgive me if these sorts of threads cause trouble, but I need help.

I've been lurking for a while now, and I get the idea here that Garmin is the way to go. But I'm seriously considering another brand.

Tom

Can't add much to this thread. I had always heard that they were set up for lefties.

I have a legend and like it. The new Megellans sound good. I like the fact that Megellans can take an SD card - more memory.

Roadway57

Edited by roadway57

Garmin has market share.

When folks ask for recommendations, GPS owners tend to recommend the type of GPS they themselves own.

Since most people own Garmin, it's what gets the majority of recommendations.

Whether or not Garmin has the largest market share because it is a superior product is up for argument.

Myself, I've owned both, and I thought both were great units, and both have some quirks I didn't like.

Despite many of the posts in this thread, I feel it has only little to do with the actual quality of product, and more to do with availability.

Jamie

In addition to the Vista there are the eTrex Summit and  Geko 301 which are under $200 and the Map 76S which is under $300.  Also the excellent Map 60CS can be had for as little as $360 if you shop around.

. . .

As far as the electronic compass itself, its a nice to have thing, but far from a necessity in a GPS unit.  If the trade off is getting a better unit sans compass, I'd go with that and buy an $10 handheld compass.

I understand that to most people the electronic compass is not essential, an you are quite correct the plain old analog kind are a pretty good value. I'm new to geocaching, but I am a photographer and fisherman too. There are times when I'm stopped under heavy cloud cover, or whatever and I need to know exactly where the sun is or will be, which way to go, etc. Also, when fishing in a boat it is all but impossible to fine tune your possition without a compass, because boats don't stay put like feet do.

That said, I will be looking at the lower priced Garmins with the electronic compass. I can tell it isn't a key feature for most people because even the manufacturers don't sort them by which one have an e-compass and which one don't.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Edited by kachadurian

When I started with this forum it was about 50% Magellan and about 50% Garmin with a few other units. Lowrance wasn't out at that time.

Gee thats odd I could have swore that I had my old Lowrance global Nav 212 a year or longer before I joined geocaching.com back in Feb of 2001.

Also I seem to remember seeing made in Taiwan or some other country on the back of some of the garmins

:DB):D:D:rolleyes:<_<:blink:;):D

keep in mind that an elect compass is not necessary when you are in a boat. even a very slowly moving/drifting boat provides enough movement for a standard gps compass (not elect compass) to give you a compass direction (that said the higher your movement speed the better/smoother the gps compass will work).

only when you are perfectly still does an elect compass do what a gps compass cannot.

hmm, a bit wordy but the message is in there...

keep in mind that an elect compass is not necessary when you are in a boat. even a very slowly moving/drifting boat provides enough movement for a standard gps compass (not elect compass) to give you a compass direction (that said the higher your movement speed the better/smoother the gps compass will work).

only when you are perfectly still does an elect compass do what a gps compass cannot.

No, although the boat may be drifting, there is still a piece of information that the GPS compass alone won't tell you. It will tell you in which direction you're moving, but it won't tell you in which direction the bow of your boat is facing. Using a magnetic compass (either electronic or mechanical) can tell you the boat's heading and when you combine that with the GPS direction of actual motion you can determine how the currents and winds are affecting the boat. Of course I'd hope that any boat used in places where such navigation is needed would be equipped with at least one reliable magnetic compass anyway so that reduces the need for a second one in the GPS

I understand that to most people the electronic compass is not essential, an you are quite correct the plain old analog kind are a pretty good value. I'm new to geocaching, but I am a photographer and fisherman too. There are times when I'm stopped under heavy cloud cover, or whatever and I need to know exactly where the sun is or will be, which way to go, etc

Since you will use it for fishing, consider the Map 76S. It has an electronic compass, some marine specific features and it floats. If you shop around you can find it for well under $300.

As a further suggestion, if you are on a boat, instead of the altimeter, you could just bring a piece of paper with ZERO written on it. Then reference it whenever you want to know your altitude.

You may find that this "altimeter reading" is off by a bit if your boat is in the middle of Lake Tahoe.

As far as why I like Garmin,

2. Garmin is American owned and built. Built in Olathe Kansas, not more than 30 miles from my home. Magellan is a french owned company owned by Thales. Lowrance is also an American owned company that started in Missouri as a fish finder/depth finder company. They are now based in Oklahoma. Garmin started as an aerospace company and has always been.

Garmin GPSr are built in Asia, The name Garmin came from the names of the two owners GARy (From the US) MIN it Tiawan hense GARMIN. Min sold his interst out a coiuple of years ago

Having been in the retail industry for 30+ years and having been a GPS buyer, service from Magellan and Garmin is about the same, but if you have a problem with a Magellen and send it in under warranty when they send ib back they include free items for your trouble, sometimes 12Volt cables or dash mounts. I would give Magellan the edge.

2. Garmin is American owned and built. Built in  Olathe Kansas, not more than 30 miles from my home. Magellan is a french owned company owned by Thales. Lowrance is also an American owned company that started in  Missouri as a fish finder/depth finder company. They are now based in Oklahoma. Garmin started as an aerospace company and has always been.

Thanks for these. It does mean something to me to buy an American made product. Also, customer service can be really important. I tried to call Magellan tech sopport and was left on hold for more than an hour (it was their 800 fee so I just put it on speakerphone). They never did answer.

I'll have to look into the Lowrance.

Tom

To be technically correct, Garmin is not an American company. It is a company based in the Cayman Islands with subsidiaries in the US, UK, and Taiwan. See this for details... http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/aviation/011705.html. Garmin does not manufacture or assemble their consumer units in the US--those are made in Taiwan. Garmin does assemble their avionics units in Olathe.

Now for my $0.02. I have 5 Garmin units and I enjoy them very much. When the wife finally buys herself a new minivan, we'll stick the new StreetPilot c330 in it. Garmin's customer service is about the middle of the road--better than some and worse than others. I find that their email techs are about as clueless as any in the industry. If you bother to call and wait in the phone queue, you will usually get someone with a clue. At the very least, it's someone speaking American English.

Finally, the Rino 130 has eCompass and the buttons may be a little more to your liking. The cost is around $280 on the street.

edit: rino price

Edited by TresOkies++

I do not know why people have recommend other Garmin E-treks version when you said you did not like the button lay out. The button layout is one thing I never liked about any e-treks, it is just a lame design.

First, forget about the Magellan Explorist 100, 200 or 300, .without out a data port, why bother. You would be better off with the Sport Track Map or Sport Track Pro. Magellan has a rebate offered on the Sport track map and Radio Shack has them on clearance

The one thing I see people not do when they compare Garmin and Magellan is look beyond just the GPS.

As far as TOPO software, Magellan’s map send TOPO includes all street names, Garmin map source TOPO only has names of major roads. Also with Magellan the while running map send TOPO the GPS will display a terrain projection of the course in front of you, Garmin will not do this.

As far as Memory, with the Magellan meridians and the new Explorist you can increase the memory on your GPS with a std, SD memory card. With the Meridian you can store your waypoint on the memory card in small files if you would like to, In my Meridian gold I have around 3,000 waypoints stored. These are in files of 80 to 100 caches, each file is for a different city that I cache in. If I want to look up a geocache I just bring up the file for the city I am in and I only have through the caches for the city, sure a Garmin may hold up to 1,000 caches, but do you have any idea how long it would take to go through that many when looking for one. Now the file can also be sorted by cache type, or difficulty or terrain, how ever you would like to save them. I have not used the new Explorist, but my guess is they will offer the same features. It does say in the description they have a file system built into them.

I have used both Magellan and Garmin over the years, I started with the yellow e-trex., but I own three Magellan’s. I plan on buying on the new Explorist to try out.

As far as TOPO software, Magellan’s map send TOPO includes all street names, Garmin map source TOPO only has names of major roads. Also with Magellan the while running map send TOPO the GPS will display a terrain projection of the course in front of you, Garmin will not do this.

I've heard complaints about the way Magellan's auto routing software works if you miss your turn.

I've heard complaints about the way Magellan's auto routing software works if you miss your turn.

If you miss a turn you have to reroute by pushing Goto then Enter. It only takes a second. The Magellan beeps before you get to the turn, but my hearing is so bad (I think from being around fireworks for 25 years) I cannot hear the beep, I guess thats my fault :lol:

when Julie is in the truck she tells me when it starts to beep.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

If you miss a turn you have to reroute by pushing Goto the Enter. It only take a second. The Magellan beeps before you get to the turn, but my hearing is so bad (I think from being around fireworks for 25 years) I cannot hear the beep, I guess thats my fault :lol:

That's the issue I read about. The Garmin automatically figures out that you missed the turn and the Magellan requires that you go back to square one and hit Go To.

Your not really going back to squre one, by the time you turn around it is already navigating from were you pushed goto and enter you do not have to re enter the destination, you can even stop to eat along the way and turn it off, when you turn it back on it picks up the navigation as though it was never turned off.

With the SD card and large memory I can deal with pushing Goto and Enter once in while, If my hearing was not so messed up I could hear it beep, I even tried one to the Garmin Steet pilots with audio comands, I could not hear that one either.

I have a Garmin Legend, before that I had a Garmin Venture. The wife has an Explorist 200.

I'm used to the button layout on the Garmins (ETrex line), but I think it could use some work. I am right handed, but it it actually designed to be used in the left hand.

I hate the button layout on the Explorist. It isn't setup for one handed operation. If you do use one hand, you run the risk of dropping it (unless you have small hands, I suppose). The lack of connectivity to download waypoints is its fatal flaw. I do like the features announced for the 400, 500, and 600 models, but since it's hard to hold onto I don't think I'll be buying one.

A couple of cachers I know have the Sportrak models, which seem fine for larger hands than the Explorist, but I haven't had a chance to use them and see.

From page 2 of the Vista manual: "The eTrex Vista is designed to be held and operated in the left hand, but it can be held and operated using the right hand as well to suit your preference."

I'm right-handed, but I use it more with the left hand than the right. I sometimes use it one-handed, and sometimes two-handed. For one-handed operation, I'll hold it in the left hand and press buttons with the left hand. If I'm using two hands, I'll hold it in the left and press buttons with the right (I think I only do this when using the click-stick to enter waypoint names or numbers).

Most quick operations (find, goto, zoom in/out, page, etc.) I do solely with the left hand.

If you miss a turn you have to reroute by pushing Goto the Enter. It only take a second. The Magellan beeps before you get to the turn, but my hearing is so bad (I think from being around fireworks for 25 years) I cannot hear the beep, I guess thats my fault :o

That's the issue I read about. The Garmin automatically figures out that you missed the turn and the Magellan requires that you go back to square one and hit Go To.

It's not even close to square one. In fact, JV made it a bit more complicated that the method I use, which is just to double click the goto button. I don't even have to look at the unit, I just reach over and double click it keeping my eyes on the road. Piece of cake.

That said, once you have autorerouting you will miss it when it goes away. Personally, I would recommend getting a Zire 72 navigation pack for your car and not using a hand held for routing. Tomtom so blows away everything else I've seen (my opinion, using various car based navigation systems) for car navigation. Pretty much everyone who has ridden in a car that had the Zire 72 nav system (at least secretly) wants one. :lol:

--Marky

Follow-up:

I have listened to all of you and I am getting the info I wanted. Looking at all the details, memory, antenna (clear the Quad antenna is better, it gets added as a feature when one is present), and display quailty. I don't plan to shell out for the GPSMAP60CS, but is certainly looks sweet.

I did look at things like the Geko 301, but at $190 it doesn't even have maps, the eTrex vista (in addition to being an eTrex) doesn't have WAAS and has something like a 64x120 screen.

When I eliminate the eXplorist 300 because there is no upload option (although at $158 it still seems like a good choice), for all the other criteria however, the Lowrance iFinder PhD looks to be my choice (when it hits the stores). I know I'm a renegade, and I may get burned, but features to price the PhD it has it all.

iFinder Phd=$240: Quad, SD card, 5.6x2.5x0.95 (smaller than merridians and map60 or map76), 16 level greyscale 180x240 - the highest resolution display, elec. compass, and it play mp3 and the cigarette light cord is included.

I'll report back after I get it.

Tom

eTrex vista (in addition to being an eTrex) doesn't have WAAS and has something like a 64x120 screen.

FWIW, the Vista DOES have WAAS - I use it all the time. I have had my Vista for a couple of years now and it has never let me down. I have dropped it, dunked it, and used it both professionally and for GeoCaching and it is always rock solid & bulletproof.

The screen has never been a problem for me (I typically nav with the compass screen & custom settings (maps are nice, but unless totp, generally just eye candy unless you are urban navigating or using the GPSr as a trip computer & navigation aid.

You want to play MP3? Get a iPod :grin:

Why? Well, when your batteries run out because you have been jammin on the hike in you are not gonna be happy that you can't find that cache :grin:

My .02 - YMMV

the eTrex vista (in addition to being an eTrex) doesn't have WAAS and has something like a 64x120 screen.

Nothing against the Lowrance iFinder PHD, but you seem to be going on some wrong assumptions about the Vista. As already pointed out it does support WAAS, and the screen resolution is 288 x 160 pixels. Some complain that the screen is too small, but I haven't heard any complaints about the pixel count which gives it very high resolution.

FWIW, the Vista DOES have WAAS - I use it all the time. I have had my Vista for a couple of years now and it has never let me down. I have dropped it, dunked it, and used it both professionally and for GeoCaching and it is always rock solid & bulletproof.

Of course you are correct. I got the model made wrong. I meant the the Summit, the low end eTrex with an elec. compass that someone recomended. It's the one without WAAS and the really low res screen.

Thanks for setting the record straight.

FWIW, I wouldn't use the mp3 function out on the trail, but I might on the plane getting to the trails. When a device can do more than one thing, it means less stuff to carry. For me that's a good thing.

tom

Follow-up:

I have listened to all of you and I am getting the info I wanted.

iFinder Phd=$240:

I'll report back after I get it.

Tom

I hate to say it but your going to kick yourself...hard...probably more than once.

Don't get made, this is how I get a laugh when I'm tired or...drinking.