Geocachers Lost In The Woods

I don't care if you know how to use a GPS, know what you are doing when heading out. Never assume that a GPS is all you need.

Seems obvious, but it ain't. Lord knows that a one mile hike can turn into a nightmare if you can't walk back out.

Edit: That seems like good advice if you are by yourself, but you can see that even four other people wasn't enough.

Be prepared.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Well, we got lost in the middle of the Barton Creek Greenbelt (in the middle of Austin, no less!) with our GPSr... we even waypointed the car, but couldn't find the trail that led back up there! Eventually we ended up coming in the back way of an exclusive gated apartment complex of some kind, got water (yes, we ran out of water...), and started hiking down the frontage road to try to get back to our car. Eventually my hubby told us to stay in the shade on the side of the road, and he would go get the car and come pick us up. We haven't been back to that area since! We were relatively experienced (50-100 caches at that time?) geocachers, knew how to use the unit, waypointed the car, had water (apparently not enough for the hot summer day), but forgot to waypoint the side trail from the car to the main trail. (Heck, this was just a greenbelt.... it couldn't be THAT bad!)

Yes, we have learned other techniques since then... backtracking, marking the side trail (they sure look alike!), and having LOTS of water. We also don't go geocaching in the middle of summer in Texas any more, if it entails much hiking. We do the small park, etc. type of caches.

_Intrepid,Jan 24 2005, 09:08 PM] How did those people become "counselors"? As part of their probation terms? Lucky they didn't think an afternoon of class IV rapids in a coleman canoe would be fun...

Done it, just wasn't a coleman. Or maybe it was, I don't rember

Probably wasn't a coleman then.

if they were so deep in the woods how did they get a signal on thier cell phone?

Good point about relying on cell phones. There might NOT be a signal in some remote areas. In fact, that is the appeal for some folks--no cell phone distractions.

Nevertheless, I always hike with a Verizon analog/digital device, plus an analog/digital phone from Alltel, and my trusty Motorola "Brick" UltraClassic (which runs 6/10 watt and connects to a 3dB gain antenna). Most of the time, I can make a call. But recently, north of Mouth-of-Wilson, Virginia, even the On-Star light was flickering!

I've been looking at the Personal Emergency Locator thingys. Looks like some transmit on 121.5MHz (to be received by passing aircraft) and another uses satellites. Given that GPS reception can be poor in places, I'd lean toward the 121.5 device.

-Paul-

In the summer I bike patrol in the backcountry for the Nevada State Parks at Lake Tahoe and you wouldn’t believe how many people go into the backcountry on bikes or hiking unprepared. I give out a lot of water and directions on how to get back before dark. You should always carry a map and a compass when going out.

I've been looking at the Personal Emergency Locator thingys. Looks like some transmit on 121.5MHz (to be received by passing aircraft) and another uses satellites. Given that GPS reception can be poor in places, I'd lean toward the 121.5 device.

The PLBs (Personal Locator Beacons) that have recently been approved in the US all use 406 MHz transmissions to satellites and also have a 121.5 MHz low-power homing signal for detection by search & rescue teams when they get close. The older 121 MHz only ELTs and EPIRBs are being phased out as they had far too many false alarms and a long response time. The 406 MHz signal is coded with a registration number so the owner of the unit can be identified. When the emergency signal is detected an attempt is made to contact the owner to avoid responding to a false alert.

Some 406 MHz PLBs and EPIRBs either contain a GPS or let you connect one (provided it has an NMEA output) so the location is also sent to the satellite. The satellites used for this rescue service are low earth orbit so they're much closer than either GPS or geostationary satellites providing for reliable communication.

This link provides more details on PLBs: http://www.equipped.com/plb_legal.htm

-Paul-

Another option would be a hand held Ham Radio, most of them transmitt at about 5 watts. The technicians license is very easy to got. The test is very basic and you will have access to ham radio repeaters all over the USA and most of the world. In most areas were you have no cell phone coverage you will be covered by a repeater.

ham radio

BTW GMRS/FRS do not cover much of an area.

Edited by JohnnyVegas