Wgs84 - Geodatic Datums????

silv3rf0x

Can someone explain how these geodatic datums work. I am trying to figure out the naming convention of these waypoints. I am new to this geocaching and am looking to place my first puzzle cach but need to know that I am giving it the right waypoint code?

Silverf0x :sad::laughing:

Thanks, well that saved a lot of surfing around looking for answers.

Edited by silv3rf0x

If you are referring to the waypoint names such as "GCXXX", there is no convention per se. The waypoint will be assigned to your 'cache when you submit it for approval. If you want the waypoint name, but don't want the approver to see it just yet, then submit the 'cache, but ensure that the "Yes, this 'cache is currently active" box is NOT ticked.

Edited by tirediron
am looking to place my first puzzle cach but need to know that I am giving it the right waypoint code?

The website will automatically generate the waypoint name when you submit your cache. The waypoint name is nothing more than shorthand for the coordinates ans has nothing to do with any datum. You might have a waypoint for your house and call it "home" and one for your business and call it "work", or you can call them Bob for that matter.

GC.COM uses sets of numbers and letters with the GC prefix for geocaches.

If you are referring to the waypoint names such as "GCXXX", there is no convention per se.

The waypoint ID is not related in any way to the coordinates, but there is a convention to its generation.

The GCxxxx ID is actually derived from the sequential ID number assigned to each cache page when it's submitted for approval. The first 2 characters are always “GC”. Originally, the next four characters were created by simply converting the ID number to base-16. But it became apparent that that scheme couldn't create enough IDs for the fast growing sport. In April of 2003, a new scheme was put into place. All cache IDs after CGFFFF would be created using a base-31 scheme. The characters used for the base-31 conversion are 0123456789ABCDEFGHJKMNPQRTVWXYZ (the letters ILOSU are omitted). When converting from a base-31 waypoint ID back to its original sequential ID, you have to subtract 411120, to account for the value change between GCFFFF under the old system, and GCG000 under the new system.