Cascade Volcano Caching Society

Bull Moose

For those of you in the Portland area PORTLAND PARKS AND REC.. offers some climbing "classes". They have a great guide and it is cheaper than just going out and hiring a guide. I've done Hood, Adams, and St Helens through them and have always had great trips. It's a good way for the new climbers to get to know the sport if you don't have an experienced person to go with already.

I don't think they have the climbs listed until around the end of this month but they usually offer climbs on all the local mountains.

Any new activity on planning the climb?

There are 2-3 of us from Team Redleg wanting to go. Once the dates get firmed up we can look at our training calendars to de-conflict it. Some of us have military schools to go to starting in mid-August, so the sooner a date is decided the better for us.

Palm Grunt

Its kinda weather dependant and I hope not too early, but how about keeping an eye on May 15 for Muir. I can't remember how early I've done muir before. I know I've done St Helens on May 15 in the past.

Adams? I don't think I'll commit to that until maybe that last minute if someone puts it together.

I think I need to retract my commitment to this at the time. Things in my time and transportation resources are rather muddled at the present moment. If there is a date I'll come if I can find a way, but I'm not in a great postion right now to make firm promises on dates or events. Sorry.

The Mt. Adams climb is mentioned in WTA's new guide to Gifford-Pinchot (pdf).

Climbing: Mount Adams

Round Trip: 7 miles

Climbing time: Allow 12 hours or 2 days

High point: 12,276 feet

Elevation Gain: 6,675

Best Hiking Time: Summer

Maps: Green Trails #366, Mount Adams West

Getting There: South Climb Trailhead is at Cold Springs campground just south of the Mt. Adams Wilderness where South Climb trail No. 183and Cold Springs trail No. 72 depart

Whom to Contact: Mount Adams Ranger District, (509) 394-3400

At 12,276 feet, Mount Adams is the second tallest of Washington’s five volcanoes. Even so, hikers with minimal climbing experience can summit Mount Adams via its non-technical South Climb. Climbing from the South, via Lunch Counter is a long and difficult hike, and climbers will encounter snow and exposed slopes, which add to the difficulty. However, hikers will not have to rope in or rappel, so limited technical expertise is all that is necessary.

Since Mount Adams reaches above12,000 feet, all hikers, no matter how fit, will have to be aware of the signs of hypoxia, or altitude sickness, and be prepared to turn around if those symptoms show up. All South Climbers should carry crampons and an ice axe and know how to self-arrest. Since mountain weather is changeable, even during the warmest months, bring extra clothing, food, and all of the ten essentials. Novice climbers can hook up with organized group climbs, led by both The Mountaineers and The Mazamas.

SOUTH CLIMB

From the Cold Springs campground, head north on trail #183. Cross the Round-the-Mountain trail (#9), and continue until you’re just below the Crescent Glacier. Skirt to the left (west) of the Glacier, continue ascending until you reach a large, flat area called the Lunch Counter, which is at about 9,000 feet. Stop here, grab a snack and a lot of water, and then continue your ascent. You’ll continue climbing due north on the snowfield just west of the glacier until you reach the false summit of Adams, also known as Piker’s Peak (11,700 feet). There’s a dip and then a steep climb to the summit, which is about 600 feet higher than the false summit. Since this climb is not on a trail, keep looking back so you get a sense of what you should be seeing on your way back down. To make sure you’re headed the right way, recross Piker’s Peak, and bear southeast down the side of the Crescent Glacier.

If you like, you may stay overnight at the top of the Crescent Glacier on the way up. This is recommended, as it will allow your body to acclimate to the altitude.