Cascade Volcano Caching Society

Bull Moose

2004 - Above the Clouds.

2005 - Mt. Adams View?

Unfortunately, it's just a virt (or at least that's how I feel) but the climb is the attraction.

I'm thinking mid or late August. Anyone interested?

It's not too early to start thinking about it. Especially for me. St. Helens taught me that I better be in a little better shape and somewhat lighter if I'm going to try anything more ambitious. (It's going to be a huge challenge for me to get in shape with work, school, and baby, that's why I'm making my goal public. Not wanting to be humiliated is good motivation for me.)

As far as I can tell the climbing permit is a little more lax than St. Helens, meaning I won't put myself in the position of deciding who goes and who doesn't again this year. :sad:

My first thought is to climb to the "Lunch Counter" and camp in order to acclimate to the altitude and then leave at first lightish.

If Adams pulls a St. Helens and starts erupting two weeks after I climb it, I swear I will not climb Rainier.

Edited by Bull Moose

I'd love to go... but I'd love to go the weekend before the 13th-14th of August. Shop99er is having their GeoLuau that weekend, and I'm NOT missing it... again!

After that weekend, I'm socked in getting kids ready for school.

Good luck getting ready for the hike with everything you've got going on, BullMoose. I've been back at the gym now for a couple of weeks... Feels GREAT!

-=-

michelle

By the way, we climbed Adams from bottom to top and back in one day in 1995. I said the next time, I'm camping at Lunch Counter! It will make the event much more enjoyable.

By doing it all in one day last time, we set ourselves up for exhaustion. From Cold Creek Campground to the summit is 8000 feet elevation gain and we left so late in the morning that night had fallen by the time we were part way down. We had to descend with headlamps and ended up going down the wrong snowfield in the dark (this was before I or my hiking partners had GPS receivers, and well before SA was turned off). So, exhausted and dehydrated, we had to climb back up the snowfield and traverse to the proper one when we discovered what we had done. Man, were we tired!

I'd love to go... but I'd love to go the weekend before the 13th-14th of August.  Shop99er is having their GeoLuau that weekend, and I'm NOT missing it... again!

That's the weekend of my 5th Wedding Anniversary, so I'm sure I won't be going that weekend. :sad:

Edited by Bull Moose
I'd love to go... but I'd love to go the weekend before the 13th-14th of August. Shop99er is having their GeoLuau that weekend, and I'm NOT missing it... again!

After that weekend, I'm socked in getting kids ready for school.

Good luck getting ready for the hike with everything you've got going on, BullMoose. I've been back at the gym now for a couple of weeks... Feels GREAT!

-=-

michelle

Good point.

I guess I should start doing something to get ready as well.

As long as my body allows it I'm in. I've climbed it twice. Yes, camp at lunch counter, and start climbing about 5am. Bring crampons as the first part is steep and hard early in the day. You'll probably feel the altitude on this one. Tired. Maybe like you have the flu. August should be good. If you don't like going up the steep snow, there is a rock ridge you can scramble. Coming down from the false summit is a great glasade!

I'm going to do Camp Muir first (maybe late june).

By the way, the road up to timberline is one rough road.

I'm in for the weekend of 13-14 August. I'm sure 2-3 more members of Team Redleg from Portland would join in also. Team Redleg is a bunch of caching Army guys.

We could all take a days leave and travel there on 12 August too. Team Redleg will be at the Yakima Training Center from 5-8 August and can't make it that weekend.

Keep us posted on any further details.

Palm Grunt

Here's my personal logs for the two summitings:

------

'92 - Mt St Helens (early May)

Mt Adams (late August)

Muir

---------

July 15-16 94 Mt Adams - 12,276' / 3742m summited for second time. Camped 8500'. Left home 9am. Trailhead 3pm (6hrs). Next hike bring water filter. brought 2qts H2O 1qt gatorade. Packed light but still quite heavy. Camped at 7pm (4hrs). 5:30am start for summit. 10am top (4 1/2 hrs). Started down 11am, trailhead aprox 2:30pm (3 1/2hrs). Milky way was incredible at 2am. Pollution layer topped out at 8000'. Brown-black haze. looked down east side of summit, remote river valley and "castle". Miner shack front top exposed. Air thin very little.

----------

On one of these I remeber listening to Clinton and Gore's acceptance speech on a small radio at lunch counter. Which year would that have been? And one year it was 112 degrees when I got back down to the road.

I guess it all really depends on the WSGA 2005 campout dates. We were planning on August as well although this is yet to be set in stone.

OK. Well, I guess we should just aim for August some time and after the campout date is decided go from there?

Of course some people may want to go one weekend and some another. This is a good thread for people to organize groups for days they want to go.

And wadel, the more the merrier as far as I'm concerened when ever I end up going.

Edited by Bull Moose

I'm with Wadel on this one, I'd love to join up on this. I have some background in climbing growing up in seattle and this one has been on my list...

Wadel when it gets past the planning stage we should try to get in touch to see what we can do for carpool etc. Were only 30 minutes away.

PS,. I'm also entertaining 2 other climbs this year. St Helens and Glacier Peak, if anybody has these on there to do lists this summer please contact me. Also if you have any info on the permits acquisition for St Helens etc. Last time I was climbing mts permits were unheard of.....

Reading Becky's book Adams is a great climb for 2 days. Anybody entertaining the idea of dragging a snowboard or ski's up? I've heard this is done quite regularly?

There self issuing on the permits... Though I did read you need to pack your waste out. Human waste bags are provided for this. The forest service ranger station provides these for people. I believe in may to oct there is a $15 dollar fee also.. I could be wrong.. but thats what I found when I read up on it today..........

Google is my friend....

Edited by top pin
There self issuing on the permits... Though I did read  you need to pack your waste out. Human waste bags are provided for this.  The forest service ranger station provides these for people.

Google is my friend....

Hm. I'm really not sure I'm up to packing out my own ****.

Rethinking THIS!

Hey, I know, maybe your friend Google will come along and help out as our 'pack' mule.

:rolleyes:

-=-

michelle - who's VERY OCD about certain things.

Yes, they are self issuing permits. $15 sounds right.

I don't think privacy on Adams is a problem that ca not be overcome. There are some rocks here and there. Rainier was a different story. I climbed it with the guide service. Everyone stays roped together at all times. You do your 1's and 2's thing in front of everybody in mixed company. Yes, one poor guy had to go number two at the summit. Kind of a funny story. The idea is you take a dump, and turn the blue bag (ziplock) inside out and pick it up with your hand, turn it right side out and zip it shut...like dog owners do. Well this guy got it a bit wrong. It was about ten degrees and blowing...very cold...he's got his pants down and bottom exposed to us and the wind, swaying back and forth, holding the baggy under him and trying to go directly into it. Time to turn away and enjoy the view!

:lol: ROFL :o ERA at 12,000 feet that had to been extremely freaking funny!!!!!!!

And to think the guy had to climb down with you guys roped 20 feet away for the next 8 hours plus...........Ugh that would have been hard to ever live down......... I wonder if he ever climbed again with the guide service.....I bet he was a solo climber after that one..... :D

:D ROFL :lol: ERA at 12,000 feet that had to been extremely freaking funny!!!!!!!

And to think the guy had to climb down with you guys roped 20 feet away for the next 8 hours plus...........Ugh that would have been hard to ever live down......... I wonder if he ever climbed again with the guide service.....I bet he was a solo climber after that one..... :o

Are you kidding? How many people get to claim they cra**ed in a bag on the top of Mt Rainier? Something to be proud of! :D

From what Ive read so far it looks like the dates possible are..

July 23, 24?

July 30th 31st

Aug 6, 7th *8th monday with Era

Aug 20 21

Does that look good to everyone? Bulls idea so the 13th and 14th are bad dates with his anniversary and the luoa thingy......

The later in the year the hotter it will be and softer snow conditions. Any earlier and I really need to put some miles on the mtn bike fast!!!!!

I saw some might be interested in this but are unsure of there abilities and equipment. I do have a equipment list from a guide service to climb this mtn, does anybody want that posted?

This is not a day hike.. alot of people get sick just being at this altitude no matter what kind of physical shape your in. Perfect conditions make this a easy climb but anything can happen at 8000ft+. Mts like this can create there own weather.. Being unprepared could be dangerous. Theres enough experienced climbers I believe on here that any quesitons you may have, would be very well answered..

I'm gonna have a few before we get there thats for sure.......