Creative cach containers

Guest dustystar

Guest dustystar

Reading all the problems folks are having with caches being plundered, has anyone thought of designing one to be "in plain sight" yet still unseen? Like hiding your house key in what looks like a rock or putting your cash in a fake coke can? I would think a frosting bucket painted like a tree stump would hide nicely.

Do all caches need to be outdoors? Could you talk the local law enforcement to store a cach - they are open 24/7/365 and no one would cheat! Even one of those 24 hour gas stops might help out.

Get creative and let me know your ideas!

Guest Markwell

One of the coolest cache containers I've ever heard of was posted in this forum - it involves a fake stump - and I plan on using it in my next two caches! Thanks Captain Leno, wherever you are (we haven't heard from him in quite a while).

Also, remember that a GPS will not work indoors, as it won't get satellite reception. You could get them to the front door of a convenience store and them give them a "secret agent" like password to tell the clerk (For you Monty Python fans: "My hovercraft is full of eels"). Only problem is the turnover rate for the employees at these stores.

Guest jc364

I'm going to hide a multiple cache this weekend. The first one with cords to the main cache is an artificial plant that will be set among live plant life. It will be in the wide open, but you will have to look very close to catch it.

Guest johnny

My thought was to make a mock birdhouse, paint a little black circle instead of drilling a hole, and have the bottom hinged so the cache container could drop out. The park I was going to put this in has a number of birdhouses up for research purposes and one more wouldn't harm anything. As it happened, the ranger thought placing a cache was a great idea and we just used a normal tupperware container instead. I still might use a birdhouse somewhere though. You could put it 5' from a trail (and visible from the trail) and it'd probably go unnoticed/untouched by most.

John

Guest Sluggo

When I hid the Chandler's Butte Cache I put it in a (CENSORED) and decorated it like a (CENSORED) using a picture of a (CENSORED)that I took on my scout trip. Then I aligned it perfectly with the real (CENSORED) and it is almost invisible. Oh well! I guess you'll just have to find it to see what I mean. icon_wink.gif

Guest Sluggo

When I hid the Chandler's Butte Cache I put it in a (CENSORED) and decorated it like a (CENSORED) using a picture of a (CENSORED)that I took on my scout trip. Then I aligned it perfectly with the real (CENSORED) and it is almost invisible. Oh well! I guess you'll just have to find it to see what I mean. icon_wink.gif