Nj Cache Approval Delays

LuckyHoney

Last I'd heard NJAdmin was back on the bottle and sleeping it off in some NJ drunk tank. She's a terrific approver - but sometimes the stress of ensuring caches are properly sited and clear of any toxic waste locations gets to her and - well, let's just say she needs to unwind a bit.

I'm sure her paperwork will get processed shortly and bail posted - I'd expect your cache will get approved shortly.

Good luck.

Last I'd heard NJAdmin was back on the bottle and sleeping it off in some NJ drunk tank. She's a terrific approver - but sometimes the stress of ensuring caches are properly sited and clear of any toxic waste locations gets to her and - well, let's just say she needs to unwind a bit.

I'm sure her paperwork will get processed shortly and bail posted - I'd expect your cache will get approved shortly.

Good luck.

I'm not one to start rumors or anything but, I heard she ran off with a greek man she met on the internet.

I dun no!!

NJ admin must have found her Dionysus who is the ancient Greek god of fertility, ritual dance, and mysticism, that mysterious and paradoxical god of altered states, of ecstasy and terror, of wildness and of the most blessed deliverance - the mad god whose apperance sends mankind into madness. Euripedes famously called him "most gentle and most terrible". I sure hope she 'NJ admin' does not get to smitten with that Greek fan. We'd sure miss gettin our caches approved

Approvers need their downtime too. While you're waiting, why not go out and find some of the hundreds of caches that are out there already?

As noble as that sounds, it is not the point... this is:

All geocaches are reviewed by volunteers, and we ask that they contact you within 72 hours of submitting your geocache. Sometimes they will have additional questions about your cache, and often they will simply approve it based on your cache description.

It has been weeks for some and no response what-so-ever.

maybe something in their personal "real" lives needs their immediate attention at this time. :rolleyes:

"Real Life?" What's that? J/K

All joking aside, If this is the case they should pass the buck to someone else after a certain amount of time. A quick email to another approver should only take a minute and then this quibbling might be thwarted. Call us crazy, but when we place a cache, we like to see it approved, listed, and then ultimately found. Isn't that the point of all of this?

do caches have 'approve by date' on them? :blink: will they perish or go bad?  :rolleyes:    <_<

Of course they don't, and we are sure there wasn't any sarcasm in your questions.

We, for one, take pride in the caches we place and can't wait to share them with the rest of the community. After all the work we put into them, we like them to be "put out there" for all to enjoy. At least that is our intent.

We hope we haven't stepped on any toes. We usually try to stay out of things of this nature for this very reason, but we just felt like we had to say something.

We hope we haven't stepped on any toes. We usually try to stay out of things of this nature for this very reason, but we just felt like we had to say something.

I know how you feel, I try not to respond to stuff... I am a quiet fellow by nature. <_<

I can see why people are getting fustrated, but it is important to remember the approvers are "reviewed by volunteers." With supposed 'other' jobs and 'others' lives. :blink:

Maybe geocaching has grown to a point where professional approvers are necessary? (not saying the ones we have are bad), but the site has certainly transformed from a small hobby site to a commercial venture. Or more are needed?

Just my 2 cents. I have big toes so please, no stamping! :rolleyes:

Edited by avroair

Maybe geocaching has grown to a point where professional approvers are necessary .... Or more are needed?

Perhaps there is room for more approvers. We have quite a group of active cachers at SJGeocachers.org. I am sure one of us would be glad to assit the efforts by volunteering to be an approver.

I agree with Flyin V - we put a lot of effort into placing caches and it is frustrating not having your own approved or seeing new caches in your home territory pop-up.

If anyone at GC HQ is reading this board - let us know how we can help.

I know how you feel, I try not to respond to stuff... I am a quiet fellow by nature. :D

I can see why people are getting fustrated, but it is important to remember the approvers are "reviewed by volunteers." With supposed 'other' jobs and 'others' lives. :D

Maybe geocaching has grown to a point where professional approvers are necessary? (not saying the ones we have are bad), but the site has certainly transformed from a small hobby site to a commercial venture. Or more are needed?

Just my 2 cents. I have big toes so please, no stamping! <_<

i smell someone running for election?! :rolleyes:;):D:blink:

Approvers need their downtime too. While you're waiting, why not go out and find some of the hundreds of caches that are out there already?

I understand that everyone needs their downtime. However it's been weeks for some of us without any type of reply. If they say someone will contact you within 72 hours, then they need to stick with that...not leave someone hanging around for weeks on end. Usually you know about a vacation long ahead of time....let someone else take the load. Emergencies are another thing. Granted, you may not be able to let someone know, but I would think someone somehow would be able to get a message to the appropriate party within a few days.

Thank you for the suggestion, however, we do go out and find caches. We also like to hide caches, is that so wrong? It's very frustrating when you put hard work and thought into something and it ends up just sitting there for weeks on end not even being approved. I wouldn't have been so concerned if we were the only ones, but apparently we weren't. There are others that have been waiting twice as long as us, and it just doesn't seem right. Maybe the time has come where more approvers are needed for situations like this? Maybe North Jersey needs one, and South Jersey needs another. Maybe that would lessen the load for our overworked approver? Maybe then he/she wouldn't be hitting the bottle and running away with said greek/geek people. Just a thought.

Thank you to all with the serious responses. It was greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

[ Maybe North Jersey needs one, and South Jersey needs another. Maybe that would lessen the load for our overworked approver?

North and South Jersey are almost different states culturally and geographicaly. And there are plenty of caches in each area to warrent its own Admin. Also it would be more likely the admin would be familiar with the cachers in their area and be able to call upon them as resources if there are questions about the cache or if the Admin would like to have a new or unusual cache to be field checked before approval.

Whatever it takes to speed up the process and keep it moving along! I think you can call on the cachers from either end of NJ (and some of the surrounding areas too) to take the extra steps needed to make life easier for everyone!

Thats my 2 or 3 cents worth for now!

it would be more likely the admin would be familiar with the cachers in their area

Whoever said NJadmin lives in New Jersey? :rolleyes:

Is the same approval lag happening nationally or is it just for NJ? If you are having difficulties corresponding with NJadmin, pick another approver and ask politely what the problem with the cache is. (or is this not the right way?)

it would be more likely the admin would be familiar with the cachers in their area

Is the same approval lag happening nationally or is it just for NJ? If you are having difficulties corresponding with NJadmin, pick another approver and ask politely what the problem with the cache is. (or is this not the right way?)

It appears that NJ Admin has been getting help. Two of my last three hides were approved by Pofe, whoever that is.

It appears that NJ Admin has been getting help. Two of my last three hides were approved by Pofe, whoever that is.

Rumor has it that she'll be at tomorrow night's NJ cache event. Look for the approver wearing a red carnation.

Hmmm...what's that saying.......the squeaky door gets the oil??? Looks like we FINALLY have been approved by Pofe (??) Only 11 days!!

Possibly NJAdmin had to do some research before approving the cache???

Maybe some maps show it as possibly on private property???

I ask this without ever seeing the cache page... I know nothing about it...

Just food for thought...

Hmmm...what's that saying.......the squeaky door gets the oil???  Looks like we FINALLY have been approved by Pofe (??)  Only 11 days!!

Just food for thought...

No, not hardly....good thinking though. Our cache is clearly in a PUBLIC area. Like I said before, I wouldn't have been worried about it so much if it was just our cache...but again, there were several other people waiting for aproval--some even longer than us.

I've put my neck on the line a few times with a question similar to LuckyHoney's. Yes, I do realize that approvers are volunteers, and that a few of them actually have lives. But, his/her question is still valid.

I have several operant theories of life. First and foremost is: The dolphin don't go where the dolphin ain't wanted. That has served me well in life.

Somewhere down the list is: Never make a promise that you aren't willing to keep. And that is the basis of the recurring question here, again. Isn't it?

The problem seems to have been rectified to a considerable extent. I was definitely considering stopping hiding caches after the second one that took three weeks to be approved. As I said, the problem seems to have been rectified. I have more ideas. But, Operant Theory #23 is: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 23 times, shame on me. Or: I can find better thins to do with my time.

I echo what the dolphin said. Currently I do not have one waiting but my first took two weeks before I had a post from anyone. It took another week to resolve the issue that was brought to my attention. My others all took at least 1 week before anyone posted a note to me. I am aware that several others from South Jersey have had this recurring issue. I am fully aware of the hard work and dedication of the volunteers who do this wonderful thing for all us addicts, and I hope this post is not taken as a critisism of the admin's. That was why I light heartidly posted earlier. But as a fairly new South Jersey cacher and member of a fairly new caching group there has been informal disussions as we all seem to be having the same problems, maybe we are doing something wrong and we need to correct some things or provide more details but the guidlines do say 72 hours and that is where our frustrations come in. Not one of us have ever heard about our hides for over 5 days. By the way I personally know several of the above posters and until last evening they had not heard from anyone until they were approved just yesterday,which was well over three weeks. I also know of several others that would never post here. I would ask that if the web site says 72 hours . It should be 72 hours.

To set the record straight I checked the New Jersey queue this morning and there was only one cache in queue. Tonight, that same cache is still the only one in queue and it doesn’t belong to anyone who has posted in this thread.

Just thought you guys would like to know.

The reviewer had a question on my cache last night which was 7 days after it was posted. I responded with information last night and I am currently awaiting response. So I presume my cache is still in the queue and it is in New Jersey. And if you scroll up you will see I have posted a comment in this thread.

Anyway, we all would like to help get better response on cache approval as it is a reoccuring problem in NJ. Seriously - what can we do to help? Can we volunteer to be approvers? Can we help the existing approvers? Just let us know what we can do. We are avid cachers and are willing to help. Just call on us.

Thank you,

Frodo

Hmmm...what's that saying.......the squeaky door gets the oil???  Looks like we FINALLY have been approved by Pofe (??)  Only 11 days!!

Just food for thought...

No, not hardly....good thinking though. Our cache is clearly in a PUBLIC area. Like I said before, I wouldn't have been worried about it so much if it was just our cache...but again, there were several other people waiting for aproval--some even longer than us.

I guess you aren't talking about this new one of yours, right? Because there is nothing clear about it, according to all the maps on the cache page. As a matter of fact, it pretty clearly looks to be on private property according to the maps.

9c504038-534c-4b33-a2f4-54d46f95a310.jpg90ee70b4-b801-4912-bf0b-8d0edea75386.jpg

Edited by Mopar

Just food for thought...

I guess you aren't talking about this new one of yours, right? Because there is nothing clear about it, according to all the maps on the cache page. As a matter of fact, it pretty clearly looks to be on private property according to the maps.

9c504038-534c-4b33-a2f4-54d46f95a310.jpg90ee70b4-b801-4912-bf0b-8d0edea75386.jpg

No, sorry, you're one cache too late on that one. That would be the second one that didn't take nearly as long to be accepted.

As I've stated before, and I'll state it again...this wouldn't have been such a big deal to me if it was only our cache, but it wasn't. There were OTHER people who had been waiting even LONGER than we had been. Clearly there was some type of COMMUNICATION PROBLEM on someone's behalf. My point is still valid, and I still had a right to be disappointed with the NJ Admin...the NJ Admin should have contacted me w/i the 72 hour period. If the NJ Admin were unsure, and had a question about the area, then why wasn't I contacted if it was that hard for the NJ Admin to find out that it's a parking lot? Seriously? I don't buy the "excuse" that it's clearly not on public property......why wasn't I contacted then? "As a matter of fact...." why not ask me what the area is like since I ACTUALLY LIVE IN THIS AREA?!?

:P

Edited by LuckyHoney

The Flyin V's also posted and I know that they have one they have been awaiting approval it is an event cache. And they have been awaiting awhile, and it is not up yet.

Again NO Critisim to NJ Admin Maybe something is wrong? if NY admin says nothing is there?

QUOTE (New York Admin @ Jan 26 2005, 04:48 PM)

To set the record straight I checked the New Jersey queue this morning and there was only one cache in queue. Tonight, that same cache is still the only one in queue and it doesn’t belong to anyone who has posted in this thread.

Just thought you guys would like to know.

New York Admin's statement was accurate. There was one cache in the "all caches not on hold" section of the New Jersey review queue at the time when New York Admin posted. At the moment, there are zero.

At any time, there will also be a number of caches "on hold" in a separate list where the reviewers park them while we await responses from geocachers to the questions we ask. A cache isn't put on hold until the reviewer has taken action by leaving a note for the owner. As I write this, there are four New Jersey caches on hold, including the event cache mentioned in the above post. That event has issues under the guidelines, not the least of which is the fact that it is a May event and we typically list events no more than 90 days in advance unless it is regional or national in scope.

At the moment worldwide, there are nearly three times as many caches awaiting answers from the owners as there are caches waiting for reviewer action. I won't start a thread about unresponsive owners, though.

Just to set the record straight.

Edited by Keystone Approver

Just a few points:

1. Enough with the freaking bickering and picking at the Admins. You don't like it or don't provide them with what they ask for, then go somewhere else. Generally, I am not a hug TPTB @ss-kissing type but enough already.

2. They TOO have lives. (Well as much as any of us who cache fanatically). You don't know what could be going on for them at that time, excessive work, death in the family, general drama of life that gets everyone from time to time. Typically, they all pick up for one another when one is not capable of carrying their full load. They have a responsibility to the site and to follow its guidelines, if they're unclear about a location they are not going to put other cachers at risk.

3. Avro's battles with both NJ and NY are well known. :lol: Remember the Pirates incident??? :P He'll never get NNJ!!!!! Temporary cache?!?!?!?!?!?!

4. I thoroughly enjoyed Mopar's posting - now if anyone is STILL in doubt...it might still be BrianSnat.

5. Lastly, it is possible that LuckyHoney is really BassoonPilot - and in that case, we're all in trouble. :P

Edited by Squealy
Just a few points:

1. Enough with the freaking bickering and picking at the Admins. You don't like it or don't provide them with what they ask for, then go somewhere else. Generally, I am not a hug TPTB @ss-kissing type but enough already.

2. They TOO have lives. (Well as much as any of us who cache fanatically). You don't know what could be going on for them at that time, excessive work, death in the family, general drama of life that gets everyone from time to time. Typically, they all pick up for one another when one is not capable of carrying their full load. They have a responsibility to the site and to follow its guidelines, if they're unclear about a location they are not going to put other cachers at risk.

3. Avro's battles with both NJ and NY are well known. :lol: Remember the Pirates incident??? :lol: He'll never get NNJ!!!!! Temporary cache?!?!?!?!?!?!

4. I thoroughly enjoyed Mopar's posting - now if anyone is STILL in doubt...it might still be BrianSnat.

5. Lastly, it is possible that LuckyHoney is really BassoonPilot - and in that case, we're all in trouble. :P

...as did I...granted...he had the wrong cache...but it was a very informative post all the same....

5. Lastly, it is possible that LuckyHoney is really BassoonPilot - and in that case, we're all in trouble. dry.gif

...I can assure you I'm not...nor do I know this person... :P

Thanks keystone

these were things I did not know.

for the record squealy I did not bash anybody, and I was not bickering, and I do not believe anyone else is we just do not understand why gc.com says we will have received an email from a reviewer about our cache in 72 hours when in fact that has not happened once for any of us. I do realize that the sport has grown that is why the offer from fodo_underhill to help in anyway we can to make what GC.com says will happen happen

I still think NJAdmin is a rotten drunk. She should approve caches faster and require that all new caches be painted International Orange to make them a little easier to find.

Sheesh - everyone's so freakin defensive. It's frustrating waiting for a cache to be approved - and understandable if someone posts about it. I see no reason to insult folks - and Squealy should be careful what he insinuates. (Remember the movie Beetlejuice?)

Who knows what demons may be lurking.... :P

Anyway - if the guidelines say 72 hours, the caches should be at least reviewed by someone in a few days.....