I Found A Benchmark Not List On Gc.com

Absolut&KittyKat

About 60ft west of The Bobby Cache @ N34 11.703 W118 12.759

I searched for it on the benchmark side of GC but couldn't find it listed.

I would have taken a picture, but I figured it was on the site and I could just log it. I was in a hurry so I didn't even really take a look at it.

It was a typical Brass disk like i've seen before. No idea what dates were on it though.

There was alos a much older benchmark of some sort about 2 feet away, faded markings, almost unreadable. Smaller and taller, brass.

Any ideas?

Do I have to go back with my camera?

EDIT:

It looked like this:

49723_200.jpg

This isnt it, but a nearby benchmark.

Edited by Absolut&KittyKat
dadgum art.... the guy comes asking for help and you rip him a new one!

meh... I would rip on the noobs the same way if they posted a stupid question without searching on my car forums. :o:wub:

re: the image

You would think that a forum dedicated to people using a multi-million dollar satellite based global navagation system would have users on a broadband connection :wub:

This is just a guess, but it appears that you may be near an angle point on the Glendale Corporate Boundary. The quad does show monuments on some of the angle points and you may be near a boundary monument. There may also be an old USGS mapping monument near this position, quite a few not in the database.

The three concrete posts surrounding the monument in the middle appear to be the legs from an old observation station; either used for center a transit or a backsite over the monument.

Kewanah might have the best information for you, since this is down in his area of the country.

CallawayMT

This is just a guess, but it appears that you may be near an angle point on the Glendale Corporate Boundary.  The quad does show monuments on some of the angle points and you may be near a boundary monument.  There may also be an old USGS mapping monument near this position, quite a few not in the database.

The three concrete posts surrounding the monument in the middle appear to be the legs from an old observation station; either used for center a transit or a backsite over the monument.

Kewanah might have the best information for you, since this is down in his area of the country.

CallawayMT

CallawayMT,

Wow, you gave a lot of information that was very interesting from just the little info that was given! :o

I was wondering if someone was going to give an answer to the poster that helped at all.....

Thanks!

Shirley~

I've personally not seen anything like the monument in the picture, but I'm going to agree with CallawayMT that it's most likely a boundary monument surrounded by the foundation for an observation tower.

A quick benchmark search from the cache coordinates don't turn up any logable marks within half a mile, let alone 60 feet away. There are two marks located 0.6 miles southeast - EW7260 & EW7261. Both have multiple finds. EW7261 also has three concrete footings surrounding the monument setting. A benchmark detail image posted on 16 August 2003 shows a County Surveyor Control Mark (not an NGS mark) set on the top of the concrete.

EW1999 is 0.9 miles northeast of the cache. It has only been found once back in January of last year by California Bear, a regular in the benchmark forum. He may be able to provide additional information on this one.

- Kewaneh

I Have hunted, and not found two examples of NGS stations set in the early 1900's which were said in the datasheet narrative to have three metal feet coming out of the station around the station disc at 120 degree angles which were said to be for the purpose holding the tripod. I would have liked to seen these but there were unfortunately long gone, station disc and all.

It is interesting to see that someone had an instrument set up in mind, and attempted to make it more convienent. I fear, without a close up of this station disc we may just who was behind this.

Interesting though.

Rob

Apologies to all who might have been offended.

But (1) I still think it's not unreasonable to ask people to read the FAQ before posting in a forum such as this, and (2) there are lots of reasons why people might not have a broadband connection including cost, technology limitations and personal preference.

-ArtMan-