A "slow Driver" Or "beat Keeper" Cache?

Driving home today with my bass setting all the way up, I started thinking about some cache's im working on. Then an idea struck me.... Could I make a cache where one has to drive at a certain speed and count the bass beats in a song (a designated song) to lead them to the cache?

For Example: Maintain 30mph on Main Street, then when you pass the Blah building, count 6 bass beats and the cache will be on your left about 50 paces off the road.

This idea i though had too many variables and could go wrong in too many ways. Therefore i thought maybe it would be possible to use half the idea. Maybe call this the "Granny Driver" cache and make the cacher drive a constant 20 mph from a certain point for like 1 or 2 minutes (no stop signs/ lights in between points) then have the cache off the side of the road a given distance. (10 feet, 50 feet, 100 feet, etc.) This would make them remember the spot and have to come back. The only problem i saw would be the distraction of the driver. Could i put down "A two person team strongly suggested."?

Well thats all my thoughts for now, any criticism is welcome. (I fear no regulars!) :):huh:

Well you would have to use the GPS to find the starting point and road. Or maybe this could just be the beginning of a puzzle cache.....just wondering if you think this is a feasible idea.

There is no rule about needing a GPS.

However I'm probably Bass impaired and probably couldn't do the cache except by blind luck.

Doesn't different music use a different paced beat?

Edited by Renegade Knight

that has already been metioned :)

.....and you thought you were fast. :)

ALSO, i don't need a copyright for a song i create on my computer so :huh:

EDIT: and another thing that made me think of this cache that everyone seems to have missed is the hilarity of a geocacher driving 20 down the road with a line of cars behind him, sweating bullets and counting down the seconds until they can go faster :):)

Edited by Voncachstein

I don't see how this differs from any number of variations of puzzle caches. A couple of my own puzzle caches just give you a general reference point and turn you loose from there. Even though it's fairly easy to work around (i.e., you wouldn't have to actually be listening to it in your car while driving), I think it's actually quite a unique concept. Go for it!

I like the speed control idea better than the beat counter. You also might incorporate bearings, or waypoint projection into the equation, jut to complicate things. The beat counter would only allow cachers to look for the cache while listening to a particular song. The speed control allows anyone to look on thier own schedule.

I would advise you to refrain from the beating of any animal in the creation of your cache. :o

How does this involve the use of a GPS? :sad:

I post this knowing that it will sound disturbing to some, but here goes.

There are highways in the Sandhills of Nebraska that travel east-west and when traveling along these roads, certain reggae music begins to harmonize with the scenery. The beat goes up and down as the hills do. (Especially highway 2 at about 60 miles per hour from Ravenna west.)

If you knew a stretch of similar road, you could specify a song, and have them count the beats from a certain set of coordinates to a second set of coordinates and then use that number to find a third set of coordinates where the cache was.

There are highways in the Sandhills of Nebraska that travel east-west and when traveling along these roads, certain reggae music begins to harmonize with the scenery. The beat goes up and down as the hills do. (Especially highway 2 at about 60 miles per hour from Ravenna west.)

"This is an offset cache. To locate the 'cache,' proceed one spliff west of the posted coordinates."

Edited by The Leprechauns

Hmm, kind of like the ability to synchonize "The Wizard of Oz" with Pink Floyd's "The Wall."

I kind of like the idea of a musically inclined cache. What would be really cool would be to synchronize it with the lyrics as a hint. Something like, "Starting at coordinates X North and Y West, put in song Z and continue at M miles per hour until you hear the phrase N."

Of course, the d=v/t formula would still make it easy for the mathematically inclined.

fd_2.JPG

Edited to add obligatory singing fish reference.

Edited by Beowulf83

Sounds (pun intended) like a whale of an idea. I'd do a cache like this for the fun and just for the halibut. Any cache that has a porpoise for beating bass is worth doing.

In regards to copyright, first if the music is created by the cache owner, nothing violated. Also, there's plenty of music out there that allows public distribution, as long as the artist and a way to purchase their music is made available (eg MP3.com).

You'd almost have to do it this way (first cache having burned CDs) if you actually want cachers to listen for a stretch of the road. A kilted weenie like me would get the song, use a stopwatch to determine time from the first beat to the specified beat, and then put in the proverbial bagpipe music in the car for the trek and use time. Easier this way, since one could, after all, get distracted counting beats whilst driving (and into a nearby building).

Yeah, I too like the idea of it being a second stage, where stage one is a bunch of burned CD's with audio instructions (coordinates, plus the song). That would make it harder to brute force the solution.

It could even be a mission impossible theme with the CD bursting into flames afterwards. :sad:

--Marky

The IDEA in your 3rd paragraph WILL work, and well. It is what we did in the car clubs back in the 70's . . . it was called a TIME & DISTANCE rallye.

We found good checkpoints OR bad ones(if you were off course) the check points gave or docked for you but always put you back on course. You could use cache stages with instructions and cache page hints - would take some work, but it would be fun to run!

Alright thanks for all the input, im looking into making a cache like this now. It will probably be a leg of my "Welcome to the Baron's Puzzling World" cache. It will be my second cache, and if i might say, the MOST MENTALLY CHALLENGING CACHE EVER KNOWN TO MANKIND! More importantly though, the puns in this topic have gotten unbeliveably out of carp-trol. :sad: seriously :laughing:

I like the concept too--if you provide CDRs in the first stage, you've already satisfied using a GPS and inhibited the math solution (at that point it would be easier to simply execute it than figure it out).

To involve the GPS even more, you could make it that after X beats read the coords of the GPS and apply those numbers in some fashion.

Obviously, using the GPS speed measure is more accurate than your car's Speedo or Odometer so please take that into account when setting it up.

However, you might verify interest level in your area by doing the simpler road rally fashion first--if folks like the twist then invest the effort in more complication having already ironed out the bugs.

Enjoy,

Randy

Thousand by Moby is definately the song you need for this one! :P

:lol:

CLICK HERE FOR A SAMPLE

Click on the "Play Song Clip" on the left sidebar and check it out!!

You'll notice at the end of the clip the Beats start speeding up!!

There is a good reason!

In 1993 on the single I Feel It/ Thousand, the track Thousand entered the Guiness Book of World Records as the fastest single ever at 1015 bpm.

:P:mad::P

I can just see all the wrecks from everyone trying to keep pace with the Beats on that one!! :P:P:lol::lol::D:P

D-man :P

Edited by gridlox