Why do Caches Found counts vary on caches I've found in the past?

showbizkid

Any have an explanation for this: When I review cache pages for caches I've found in the past, the "# Found" count varies and there's no rhyme or reason why.

Example: (I have 40 finds as of yesterday) On my very first find, it reads "5 Found." On the 10th cache, it reads "25 found." On my 20th find, it reads "20 Found." On my 30 find, it reads "33 found."

So, the number of caches found is all over the place. Is this number updated at some point - end of the week - and a cumulative number posted?

quote:
Originally posted by Smitherington:

Yes, util someone posts a find, not found, note, etc, the page doesn't update. When someone does, the numbers are all correct again. If it bugs you I suppose you could post a note then delete it.

Yes, that will make everyone watching that cache very happy.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

Does that work if you edit your original log entry. That way the *watchers* of the cache will not be annoyed.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

quote:
Does that work if you edit your original log entry. That way the *watchers* of the cache will not be annoyed.

Wouldn't that be alot of work to go back and edit each log for each cache you've found every time just to make sure your log numbers stay current?

E

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everybody else.

I have noticed that too and wondered what was up, but did not expend too much energy on it. As was said before, the user stats page is always correct so I just go by that when looking up my stats or other users.

Life is like being on a dog sled team. If you are not the lead dog the view is always the same.

Complacancy is feeding a tiger steaks while waiting for him to become a vegitarian.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Your find count is consistant on your profile. However your count on each cache page is only updated when the page itself is updated. By a new log for example.

I think there must be another way of updating, since a disabled cache that hasn't had a log since April shows my counts correct as of last weekend.

Maybe there is a periodic process that runs to update all counts?

If someone adds or removes the cache from their watchlist, or logs a travel bug in or out of the cache, these are other ways for the page to re-generate, in addition to someone posting or editing a log.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.