Two adults, one cache, who logs it. :-)

RHJensen

My wife and I just started geocaching. We happened to be in Pleasanton, CA over the weekend (we live across the SF Bay in Redwood City) and our first cache was "Silver Gyrations" which is a virtual cache.

Since we have to send information to the cache owner before logging it, should we BOTH log it [we have two separate accounts on geocaching.com], or just one.

We also found "Tupolo Tub" (less than 2 miles from my mother-in-law's house). That was our first physical cache, and since my wife spotted it first I had her sign the log book and I think she should log her find on her account and I won't.

What do other people do?

Do you only use one account?

Do you both log?

First finder logs?

Thanks for the input. icon_smile.gif

Our caching party yesterday was a 3 person one. We all logged seperate. And it did take the 3 of us to find it! We all took different pictures with our different cameras and "zero-d" in on the cache using 4 different GPSrs. Confused now? icon_confused.gif

Time Flies like an arrow. Fruit Flies like a banana

If you are both cachers then you both should log it. For example my wife goes with me on finds but has not interest in logging the find here. So we both find it but I'm the one who gets credit no matter what. I would say you both log it.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

My wife, kids, and I log as a team (both at the cache and on the computer), but that's because we geocache together. I noticed that geocachers that only sometimes geocache together will each enter a log on geocaching.com, but one will likely write a longer log for the group. I wouldn't recommend the only-the-first-to-find-it-logs-it technique. You earned the find (and the log) even if your wife found the cache under one rock while you'll looking behind that tree. It was a team effort. But what it comes down to is this: Do whatever you want, just make sure your wife knows who the geo-boss is. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by FISUR:

just make sure your wife knows who the geo-boss is. icon_biggrin.gif

Exactly, as long as your wife knows SHE is the boss, there should be no problem.

In our house, I log because I have more time than my husband (and because I am the boss) icon_razz.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------

"You're no verra sensible, Sassenach, but I like ye fine. Let's go."

Most of my caching is done with my fiancee (I'm the one who has the GPSr, so if I'm not there, she's not caching. icon_smile.gif) Our general habit is that we'll both log the find, but since I seem to have more time to spend online logging finds, my log is often the only one that is entered. We both sign the log, and I will make a note that we found it together, so she does get some credit in having been on the hunt.

Hope you enjoyed your visit to Pleasanton, I happen to live there myself. Now why didn't you visit some of my caches by Pepper of Team SuperGenius. Anyway it's up to you if you both want your own accounts by all means do so especially if ya'll can't always cache together. I did some caching yesterday with three other area cachers and we all log our own finds. Welcome to the game, and ya'll come on back Pleasanton now ya hear.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Hope you enjoyed your visit to Pleasanton, I happen to live there myself. Now why didn't you visit some of my caches by Pepper of Team SuperGenius.

Horizontals where it's at!

I had "Lil Camo" and a few others on my list, but a 1/1 virtual in a business park sounded pretty easy and was one of the closest to our hotel.

I did take waypoints for Strizzi's, Claude and Dominique's, and our hotel (The Rose Hotel) [for no better reason than I like playing with our GPSr] icon_wink.gif

We really liked the part of Pleasanton we saw and will probably be back.

Richard.

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

quote:
Originally posted by manuelcasi:

um TRUE. No I mean "C" ya "C". Thats my final answer... icon_biggrin.gif

Just wondering what kind of answer "C" ya "C" is for a new caching team asking a legitimate question. Could you tell me what C ya C means.

Pepper

I thought it was a multiple-choice answer to my questions. "C" yeah, "C", [no "A", "B" and that's my final answer!]

Richard.

We all have separate accounts. The main reason is so I can keep track of which caches each of the kids has been to. There are many caches I do by myself. Miss Pumpkin accompanies me on some, Curly Tiger on others. Sometimes, we all go together, including Nutri-Mom. There have been several times when I've returned to a cache that I did with one kid, but I bring the other instead. The only way to keep track of it all is to log everyone under different accounts. Also, each of us has different experiences at each cache. Miss Pumpkin usually notices things in nature; Curly Tiger mostly notices the local playground. Nutri-Mom notices all sorts of things. I'm mostly into the hunt itself. Each of us has a story to tell, and our logs provide an opportunity to share those stories.

Although we only have one GPSr, I usually hand it off to someone else and hunt using topo maps and aerial photos. And although I almost always spot the cache first, I usually don't let them know I've spotted it. I let them find it. We are all involved in the hunt, so we all get credit for the find.

25021_1200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

If you are both cachers then you both should log it. For example my wife goes with me on finds but has not interest in logging the find here. So we both find it but I'm the one who gets credit no matter what. I would say you both log it.

That's the way my wife and I hunt. She's not interested in logging or posting, but I always say 'we' when I describe the hunt!

Bluespreacher

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

We both made the hike, I usually sign the log, because the Bryno doesn't like to. online I write longer logs than he does, and I don't always cache with him. I've been dragging other folks into the woods as well.

quote:
We are two adults with two GPS's, but we log under one account. The first finder gets a free meal at the restaurant of their choice.

And just how the heck did you get the restaurants to agree to this, I wanna know? icon_biggrin.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

As "Kite and Hawkeye," there are obviously two of us with a single team account. I (Kite) write all the logs, both at the cache and online, but I sign for both of us. Hawkeye's just as into the sport, but doesn't care for writing logs. If he had to, they'd probably be the excessively brief kind that I hate ("Found cache. Thanks."). We always cache together, and it's a coin toss as to who's holding the GPS. We don't care who spots the cache first; it not infrequently happens that I spot it while he's still triangulating and stuff. Doesn't matter, though; it's a team find, we both have a look at the cache, and we both, obviously, get credit in the log. When we did our very first cache, we toyed with the idea of separate logins, but since we always hunt together it didn't seem to make much sense. We're not at all competitive about it, which is why the team thing struck us as a good idea.

Although we're just getting starting, and haven't been out for an actual cache hunt yet, I do have a plan for this situation.

We have two accounts, one for me, and one for both of us. There's little chance that my girlfriend will ever do this on her own (at least for the moment) so a team account works best for us. If I should happen to discover a cache on my own, I'll log it as a personal find with my own account.

I think having separate usernames with each logging the find is preferable to multiple find logs (perhaps on different dates as various family members sought the cache) to a single cache from one family account. Using one family username can be confusing both to the cache owner and those reading the logs.

Like some of the others, my wife and daughter cache with me occasionally. When we cache together, we each log the find under our personal usernames.

My brother, Puzzlebug, and I often cache together. Our ground rules are this: If you see the cache first you try to walk away from it so the other guy doesn't know where it is and then announce that you have found it. Then the other guy gets to keep looking until he finds it. First finder gets to open the cache and has first choice of any trade item he wants. Which ever one of us finds it first will usually refuse to tell the other one where it is unless the non-finder is willing to humiliate himself in some way to show his unworthiness. Such as being required to state that you admit defeat and that the other is a Master Geocacher in the face of your own obvious inability to find the cache. What this usually means is that pride makes both of us spot the cache. As others have said we both log it becasue we both found it and we both have a story to tell. The freindly competition between us is often part of the story