Metal-detecting Muggles

Snoogans

OK. I just archived this cache, in Memorial Park, here in Houston

I picked up the container and just got around to reading the logs. It seems that at least half a dozen people with metal detectors found my cache and signed the log. One recent finder even left a broken key he had dug up.

They all signed so matter of factly that it seems they knew what to expect. I wonder if they have forums that have discussed finding geocaches and not to disturb them. Anyway, I thinks it's cool that none of them made off with it.

Did anyone here start geocaching after finding a cache while metal detecting?

Does anyone know of a metal detecting forum where geocaching has been discussed?

Sn :(:rolleyes: gans

I've thought about getting an inexpenisve metal detector to aid in those really tough caches, as a "last resort" for finding them, but I've considered that path a kind of cheating. I might think differnetly if it snowed here though.....

Cache are not supposed to be burried, Metel detectors are for finding things that for the most part are burried. I would think a metel detector for geocaching would be a waste of money, besides a good metel detector can be as expensive as a good GPS, I would rather buy a new GPS :(

Does anyone know of a metal detecting forum where geocaching has been discussed?

Google search with keywords metal, detecting, forum and geocaching gives some hits that might be interesting.

Did that. Found this:

http://www.treasurenet.com/f/index.php?PHP...8516b&board=3.0

They are talking about burying caches. They are referring to them as "caches".

TPTB might want to review this forum.

Google search with keywords metal, detecting, forum and geocaching gives some hits that might be interesting.

Did that. Found this:

http://www.treasurenet.com/f/index.php?PHP...8516b&board=3.0

They are talking about burying caches. They are referring to them as "caches".

TPTB might want to review this forum.

Interesting.

First the entire hobby involves digging. But by and large I have not heard anti metal detecting feedback (but then I'm not in the hobby) from parks etc.

Even thoug they are not geocaches they are caches. If the practice does become more widespread it may become important to separate the two in the minds of land managers.

Cache are not supposed to be burried, Metel detectors are for finding things that for the most part are burried. I would think a metel detector for geocaching would be a waste of money, besides a good metel detector can be as expensive as a good GPS, I would rather buy a new GPS

Most of the caches in my area are buried in 2 feet of snow and a Medal-detector would save having to dig though the snow.

Star2004

Here is an interesting email that I received from a fellow friend/geocacher last year regarding one of my caches... Down by the River

I have since added the "what is geocaching" letter

Doug,

Talked with a Chesterfield dentist last night. He is a member of the Sons of

Confederate Veterans. At a meeting of that organization, a preacher was telling

them how he had located bullets, etc. with a metal detector at a creek near

Riverside park. He said that he had found the strangest thing...a medicine

bottle with unusual items hidden in a hollow tree in the park. The man became

so concerned about it that he notified the Cheraw Police. They didn't know what

to make of it either. This was last week. The dentist explained that it was a

geocache. The man who found it was Allen ***. I believe that he has some

connection with the Maranatha Church.

Thought you would find this interesting. You may have to introduce some of the

police officers to geocaching.

Happy Hunting,

(Ken220)

Asst. Chief

Chesterfield Fire Dept.

Edited by medic208
I've thought about getting an inexpenisve metal detector to aid in those really tough caches, as a "last resort" for finding them, but I've considered that path a kind of cheating. I might think differnetly if it snowed here though.....

There's a geocacher in our area who uses a metal detector as a last resort and is open about it in his logs and at geocaching events. I haven't heard anyone object to it's use, but it may be because he doesn't start every hunt with the metal detector, and he primarily reserves it for winter caching (it does snow here in Syracuse, NY -we've had 6-8 inches this afternoon and it's still falling at about an inch or two an hour)!

This must be why our state parks mentioned no metal detectors when applying for a geocache placement.

We assured them at several points in the process that we didn't dig up buried items and that we don't bury caches, but they insisted on including this language which seemed goofy to us.

That's why it's key that your local geocaching organization (state, local or otherwise) work with the parks to clarify what it is we're doing out there so they don't arbitrarily ban geocaching from the parks.

:ph34r: