Geocache Container

Ladycacher

It is a cool idea.

I have a cache that I manufactured that is very similar in design and I get lots of possitive feedback from it.

But, my big questions is this: Give that there is a probably a 3' long, 2 1/2" diameter pipe underneith that cap, wouldn't it make a much more interesting cache if there were a 2" diamter tube used for the cache instead of a 1/2" diameter tube?

I was loking at the sellers other items, first off I'm amazed there's such a big market for these things, but then looking closer they appear to be "real" items hollowed out. The electrical outlet one was a bit scary really, I wouldn';t think it was a good idea to encourage people to unscrew electrical boxes in the hope they werten't live! :(

I don't know if anyone saw it, but there's a link at that bottom of that ebay auction. www.geocachecontainers.com . I have mixed thoughts on the false birdsnest cache/container... but, it's good for ideas.

have fun!!

:(

What he said.... All these type of containers are going to do is make us into vandals. If we think there is a cache in a light or a post or some sort of electrical wiring case..and there isn't.. we'll just be accused of destroying property. Or maybe worse.. you might get the s*** socked out of you! I know for sure I won't be checking any electrical type cases for caches... ZAAAPO.. you're dead!

Like the Puzzler said, why not a larger cache contain. I have found caches in this style in the past. but thay have always had larger containers. I do not like the one being offered, besides it would not be all the hard to make your own.

edit to add: I went back to check the link, I do not have a problem with the fence post cache, have have see aol fences around that are falling down or just abandoned the have cap missing. But the other items I have a real problem with and should not be used.

Who would give permission to attach any to their property.

Then even if some one did, I can see cachers starting to open every electrical box they see if they think there might be a cache in it.

I do not think the person selling these item has raelly thought them out properly.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Not that I'm not concerned about the safety of any of us, but my first concern was the birds nest. If we're all out looking for and in birds nest, aren't we disturbing nature? The first time someone comes across a real nest and leave a scent, we've altered the environment... Which would be the last thing any of us would really want to do...

"...All these type of containers are going to do is make us into vandals."

As it is, there is probably a degree of near-vandalism done in the process of cache hunting by some of us..... I know of one cache I did where, in retrospect, the process of hunting the cache may have bordered on vandalism in some people's definition of it. After looking at the cache containers on sale on the page, I could see where they would invite cachers to start taking apart things they maybe shouldn't be. Probably not all good items there as cache containers.

"...All these type of containers are going to do is make us into vandals."

As it is, there is probably a degree of near-vandalism done in the process of cache hunting by some of us..... I know of one cache I did where, in retrospect, the process of hunting the cache may have bordered on vandalism in some people's definition of it. After looking at the cache containers on sale on the page, I could see where they would invite cachers to start taking apart things they maybe shouldn't be. Probably not all good items there as cache containers.

Well, just think how many people admit after they'd found a cache in a sprinkler that they took some apart on later cache hunts.... I wouldn't go for some of these containers either.

There are a lot of clever ideas for cache, as far as safety goes there are some disguises that should not be containers (ie electrical boxes). Caches diguised like a electrical box should not require someone to open up with tools. They should open up on their own easily.

As far as fence post caches go, there is a place for them public fences are a good place to use them, fences own by private property should require permission.

Buying pre-made cache containers? I personally think they are kind lame and for folks that are lazy.

I found one that was an electrical box magnetically attached to a light pole.

You pulled it off and went back to your car to write the log.

No tools were needed as it was the outdoor weathertite kind that has little doors that open on hinges to reveal an open space with the log book visible inside.

I agree you shouldn't need tools to open one! This means you could be opening a "live" one.

If the electrical box was properly marked with some sort of gocaching related logo it would be better and it was stated in the posting that it is. Its a tricky thing to hide anyways,.. if it was held on with magnet/velcro, someone sooner or later will likely figure it out and it would likely get stolen. It has it's good and bads, lets just hope the hider uses common sense.

I have mixed thoughts on the false birdsnest cache/container... but, it's good for ideas.

I hear ya. Most people don't realize it s against federal law to remove, move, tamper with a bird's nest, even if it is vacant. That's a fake nest, but it encourages touching (real) birds' nests to check for caches.

Granted, that is a pretty crappy replica of a bird's nest, lol. And do you know what happens to birds' nests in the winter?

17109393-fa4d-406e-9a64-bab22096f19e.jpg

I love the fence post hide. I'd definitely have had to post a DNF for that baby. It would never have dawned on me to start taking property apart to find a cache. <_<

I have mixed thoughts on the false birdsnest cache/container... but, it's good for ideas.

I hear ya. Most people don't realize it s against federal law to remove, move, tamper with a bird's nest, even if it is vacant. That's a fake nest, but it encourages touching (real) birds' nests to check for caches.

Can you point this law out? I find it hard to beleive it is illegal to touch ANY birds nest. I can imagine certain birds, such as "at risk" or "endangered species" nests might be off limits - but any bird?

sd

Can you point this law out? I find it hard to beleive it is illegal to touch ANY birds nest. I can imagine certain birds, such as "at risk" or "endangered species" nests might be off limits - but any bird?

sd

regardless, with all due respect, I would hope that TPTB would discourage any geocaching activity that could cause harm to ANY bird or any other creature

It is a cool idea.

I have a cache that I manufactured that is very similar in design and I get lots of possitive feedback from it.

But, my big questions is this: Give that there is a probably a 3' long, 2 1/2" diameter pipe underneith that cap, wouldn't it make a much more interesting cache if there were a 2" diamter tube used for the cache instead of a 1/2" diameter tube?

That was my first thought, as well.

I've seen this several times before. The trickest is the over 6' tall post that has materials stuffed into the post and the cache is resting on the materials, not hanging from the cap. You have to use a mirror to look down the pipe or be brave enough to feel around.

Using such a small capsule is a waste, IMHO.

Sure....you'll be sorry you asked, because of the length of my answer, lol. It is a very old law, but one that most laypeople don't realize exists.

It is listed in the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918, which is still in effect today. It also includes the possession of feathers. Here is the 1994 version. I've left the google highlights in it so you can seek the word "nest" by the purple color. Migratory Birds Convention Act, 1994. Also: Possession of Migratory Birds, Including Feathers, Nests, and Eggs

It states:

"Unless and except as permitted by regulations, …it shall be unlawful at any time, by any means, or in any manner…to pursue , hunt, take , capture, kill, …possess , offer for sale, sell, …purchase, import…any migratory bird, any part, nest , or eggs of any such bird…It is a "strict-liability" law, meaning that there is no requirement for law enforcement agencies to prove "intent" to violate the law. That is, if you are found in possession of a protected species or its parts or products, you are automatically in violation of the law. "  Even if you don't know it is an illegal thing to do, you can still be held responsible.

The Act covers the great majority (83%) of all native birds found in the U.S. Many of the species not covered by the Act are covered by the Endangered Species Act , other Federal laws, or state laws, many of which are as stringent as the Migratory Bird Treaty Act . In the lower 48 states, all species except the house sparrow, feral pigeon, common starling, and non-migratory game birds like pheasants, gray partridge, and sage grouse, are protected.

Penalties upon conviction can be severe. Even if a sympathetic jury finds that you meant no harm in trying to rear an abandoned nestling or in picking a hawk feather, legal defense costs are clearly not worth the risk.

5. Except as authorized by the regulations, no person shall, without lawful excuse,  -a- be in possession of a migratory bird or nest; or -b- buy, sell, exchange or give a migratory bird or nest or make it the subject of a commercial transaction

(4) Any fine imposed for an offence involving more than one migratory bird or nest may be calculated in respect of each one as though it had been the subject of a separate information and the fine then imposed is the total of that calculation.

I know when we do bird counts for the Audubon Society, we refrain from approaching any nests, as it can result in a parent bird abandoning the nest, particularly if the eggs have not hatched yet. We also refrain from playing tape recordings of owl and raptor calls (a technique sometimes used to lure in birds to within view), because is can cause similar distress to nesting passerines

Edited because it kept trying to make a smiley face out of my B then parentheses. <_< jeez, lol

Edited by Birdsong-n-Bud

Sure....you'll be sorry you asked, because of the length of my answer, lol. It is a very old law, but one that most laypeople don't realize exists.

It is listed in the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918, which is still in effect today. It also includes the possession of feathers. Here is the 1994 version. I've left the google highlights in it so you can seek the word "nest" by the purple color. Migratory Birds Convention Act, 1994. Also: Possession of Migratory Birds, Including Feathers, Nests, and Eggs

It states:

"Unless and except as permitted by regulations, …it shall be unlawful at any time, by any means, or in any manner…to pursue , hunt, take , capture, kill, …possess , offer for sale, sell, …purchase, import…any migratory bird, any part, nest , or eggs of any such bird…It is a "strict-liability" law, meaning that there is no requirement for law enforcement agencies to prove "intent" to violate the law. That is, if you are found in possession of a protected species or its parts or products, you are automatically in violation of the law. "  Even if you don't know it is an illegal thing to do, you can still be held responsible.

The Act covers the great majority (83%) of all native birds found in the U.S. Many of the species not covered by the Act are covered by the Endangered Species Act , other Federal laws, or state laws, many of which are as stringent as the Migratory Bird Treaty Act . In the lower 48 states, all species except the house sparrow, feral pigeon, common starling, and non-migratory game birds like pheasants, gray partridge, and sage grouse, are protected.

Penalties upon conviction can be severe. Even if a sympathetic jury finds that you meant no harm in trying to rear an abandoned nestling or in picking a hawk feather, legal defense costs are clearly not worth the risk.

5. Except as authorized by the regulations, no person shall, without lawful excuse,  -a- be in possession of a migratory bird or nest; or -b- buy, sell, exchange or give a migratory bird or nest or make it the subject of a commercial transaction

(4) Any fine imposed for an offence involving more than one migratory bird or nest may be calculated in respect of each one as though it had been the subject of a separate information and the fine then imposed is the total of that calculation.

I know when we do bird counts for the Audubon Society, we refrain from approaching any nests, as it can result in a parent bird abandoning the nest, particularly if the eggs have not hatched yet. We also refrain from playing tape recordings of owl and raptor calls (a technique sometimes used to lure in birds to within view), because is can cause similar distress to nesting passerines

Edited because it kept trying to make a smiley face out of my B then parentheses. :) jeez, lol

So, it's a law that very few people know about that obviously isn't enforced?

I'm very concerned about it now. :huh:

sd

So, it's a law that very few people know about that obviously isn't enforced?

Ummmm...seriously or sarcastically?

Just trying to educate people that nests should not be tampered with or encouraged to be part of a geocache, that's all. The layperson doesn't know about the law, but nature and bird enthusiasts do.

My son came back from preschool a few years back with this homework: find a nest or feather to put onto their "Nature Christmas Tree." Being active with the Audubon Society, I nearly choked.

Usually this law is put into effect when people hunt a bird that is protected by law.

If a cacher chooses to damage nature when they go to a cache, that is their business. But I don't think it is good caching ethics. Like they say "take only pictures, leave only footprints." The land we cache on is beautiful because it is less scathed by urban squelch. I know how fragile nature is today, and I for one won't be encouraging anything that would put the balance further out of whack.

The more we educate ourselves, the more we realize our impact does have impact on nature.

Even 8 years ago, I heard more warblers singing on a spring morning than I do today.

This reminds me of a nature programme on the TV I saw, the camera was hidden in a huge pile of elephant dung.............................a perfect hiding place,

all I need is to find somewhere that elephants roam freely, and some volunteers to try and search in the right pile.......and I could probably hide a 5 gallon bucket without difficulty! :)